Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

THEM red necks...

John Dee

Was it incredibly dumb to say aloud? Yes. Does Mr. Cooper deserve some credit for apologizing for his crude & insensitive language? Yes. Is he genuine in his apology? I really don't know. My advice to Mr. Cooper: Clear the air in the locker room as soon as possible, get it out of everybody's system ASAP, & let the chips fall where they may...

I would be interested to know how much other NFL athletes of say Hispanic, American Indian, Chinese, Japanese, & Polynesian descent feel they experience racism in their communities & lock rooms outside the African American race though. 

I am sure Al Sharpton is already on it.

haha My sentiments exactly. It bothers me when certain civil rights leaders try to create an environment in which a specific gender, group, or race feel as though that they are the only segment of society that has been discriminated against. No one sect of society has the market cornered on poor treatment or derogatory language spoken against them.

Again, I am not condoning Mr. Cooper's harmful words at all. I just really despise influential figures trying to score political points with an episode that isn't really much of a scandal. If you go back far enough in history, every race has felt like they were shamelessly & unethically persecuted against by another group in power. 

True, Al Sharpton has done nothing as of yet, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Mr. Sharpton decided to step into the fray & media spotlight concerning this episode soon...It's what he does.

I'm not going to defend that. He's gonna have fun in the locker room. I bet he won't try to fight every *ahem....brother there.

Sounds like he had too much drink. I've always felt, if you want to see someones true nature, get 'em drunk. 

That slipped off the guys tongue very easily. You can't hide how you were raised.

nope.. i was raised that way.. still sometimes.. no offense to others of different genetic darkness'.. :hide: but sometimes in the heat of the moment.. it comes out. especially if he was insulted for being of a lighter genetic shade..

it may not have been the best choice of words, but it looks like he made it amongst friends . . . for me, it is one thing to make a statement in public and/or directed at an individual . . . but another to say it amongst friends outside of earshot of the intended target . . . .

I think most would have a different view on things if we had a video camera in every house in the Nation and a computer problem that would immediate post any videos which use the forbidden words and/or forbidden conduct . . .

it may not have been the best choice of words, but it looks like he made it amongst friends . . . for me, it is one thing to make a statement in public and/or directed at an individual . . . but another to say it amongst friends outside of earshot of the intended target . . . .

I think most would have a different view on things if we had a video camera in every house in the Nation and a computer problem that would immediate post any videos which use the forbidden words and/or forbidden conduct . . .

He was at a concert and it was directed at a black security guard.

What do they call reruns of "Hee Haw" in Tennessee?

A documentary.

If "Hee Haw" is considered a documentary there, What would the movie "Deliverance" be viewed as then? Family Genealogy? In the words of comedian "Larry the Cable Guy"...."Lord, I apologize for that one." 

That is a valid point Yehoodi. We all fall prey to our own private belief systems & personal prejudices growing up, but most of us either have a filter or change our perceptions as time passes & we encounter people who speak, dress, & interact in different circles than we are originally accustomed to useless you are part of a military family that travels a lot & lives abroad for an extended period of time outside U.S. borders. At some point, everyone including Mr. Cooper must adapt & evolve accordingly though IMO. Public conduct & private conduct are 2 entirely different matters. 

It is one thing to make an offensive joke around friends in the privacy of your own home, but it is completely different when you direct a comment like this out in public towards a black security cop.

He was at a concert and it was directed at a black security guard.

yes I have heard some have claimed this, but this claim does not square with what he said IMO. . .

from what I heard from the video, he says "I going to jump that fence and fight every [bad word]. . . . [girl exclaims] . . ."

the problem that I have with the claim of a single security guard is the word "every" . . . the word every modifies a group . . . like "I am going to jump that fence and fight every [bad word] person on the side of the fence . . ." 

if he was directing at an individual he would of said "I going to jump that fence and fight that [bad word] person . . . "

And we still don't know if the security guard even heard it . . .

And again for me I see a difference between saying something directed at an individual, or group, with the intention of them hearing and one making a comment amongst friends outside of the ear shot of the intended targets . . .

It is one thing to make an offensive joke around friends in the privacy of your own home, but it is completely different when you direct a comment like this out in public towards a black security cop.

yes I agree 100% . . . the only problem that I have with the single security cop theory is that is does not square with what he said in the video, as I mentioned in my prior post . . . is sounds to me like he is talking about a group of people . . .

Was it incredibly dumb to say aloud? Yes. Does Mr. Cooper deserve some credit for apologizing for his crude & insensitive language? Yes. Is he genuine in his apology? I really don't know. My advice to Mr. Cooper: Clear the air in the locker room as soon as possible, get it out of everybody's system ASAP, & let the chips fall where they may...

I would be interested to know how much other NFL athletes of say Hispanic, American Indian, Chinese, Japanese, & Polynesian descent feel they experience racism in their communities & lock rooms outside the African American race though. 

it will be interesting to see if Vick is team player or if Cooper gets less targets as per NFL Network   

That is a valid point Yehoodi. We all fall prey to our own private belief systems & personal prejudices growing up, but most of us either have a filter or change our perceptions as time passes & we encounter people who speak, dress, & interact in different circles than we are originally accustomed to useless you are part of a military family that travels a lot & lives abroad for an extended period of time outside U.S. borders. At some point, everyone including Mr. Cooper must adapt & evolve accordingly though IMO. Public conduct & private conduct are 2 entirely different matters. 

yes they are and people need to adapt and know their surroundings  . . . it is probably safer to not even use it in private lest you let it slip in public . . .  

I heard on the radio, and not sure if it is true, but people were saying this N word is used a lot around the practice field in football both in a kind way and slag way amongst players and perhaps he may of gotten desensitized to the word and it slipped . . . he clearly said the work in anger . . . perhaps the alcohol caused him to not realized his surrounds for a moment and it slipped, i.e. he thought he was on the football field . . .

The league will not take any action on the matter. Wow.... That speaks a lot about how racism is handled in this world/NFL. No action taken just seems as if they just turn the other way about it. How am I not surprised? Oh yeah, for decades the League/commissioner has yet to even think about seriously discussing the changing of mascot names (Redskins, Chiefs). 

I find it racist that Cooper is getting fined for dropping the 'N' word, yet guys like Roddy White, Victor Cruz, and our own Antone Bethea can tout whatever they want on twitter about Zimmerman?? What a double standard! Any player that kicked off a racist rant over the Zimmerman thing, and there were alot, should be fined as well. Condoning threats made to Zimmerman calling for his death! WTH?! 

I find it a bunch of bull they just go after the white guy. But isnt that the way it is now days?? Double standard. People want equality, but cant figure out what it actually means. 

This whole thing is so out of control its asinine. SMH 

The league will not take any action on the matter. Wow.... That speaks a lot about how racism is handled in this world/NFL. No action taken just seems as if they just turn the other way about it. How am I not surprised? Oh yeah, for decades the League/commissioner has yet to even think about seriously discussing the changing of mascot names (Redskins, Chiefs). 

Oh geeze, not this chestnut again! I'm native american and not offended, matter of a fact, us as AMERICANS need to grow a preverbal set and get over it.

Ya know, I'm getting offended by the whole 'redneck' jokes here.. I'm from the south and find what some of you are saying offensive to my family and lifestyle. 

It needs to stop now. Its not funny and this is a public forum. Like a poster said, amongst friends, maybe, public, no. 

I find it racist that Cooper is getting fined for dropping the 'N' word, yet guys like Roddy White, Victor Cruz, and our own Antone Bethea can tout whatever they want on twitter about Zimmerman?? What a double standard! Any player that kicked off a racist rant over the Zimmerman thing, and there were alot, should be fined as well. Condoning threats made to Zimmerman calling for his death! WTH?!

I find it a bunch of bull they just go after the white guy. But isnt that the way it is now days?? Double standard. People want equality, but cant figure out what it actually means.

This whole thing is so out of control its asinine. SMH

haha yeah white people sure have it rough.

You obviously never lived on any of the reservations in the US. 

I havent?? really? so you mean that third world type of living where they live in minimal housing?? Last I checked, the educational system allows all people to pursue and education to better their lives. Its an excuse. One I lived on has alot of problems, murders, ect. Its our own faults. Dont make excuses. 

Ya know, I'm getting offended by the whole 'redneck' jokes here.. I'm from the south and find what some of you are saying offensive to my family and lifestyle. 

It needs to stop now. Its not funny and this is a public forum. Like a poster said, amongst friends, maybe, public, no. 

Well I get offended when I see the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians logos. I'm Lakota, aka Native American... I don't have a huge nose, wear feathers in my hair, or my skin isn't as red as an apple. The government didn't attempt genocide on your family and lifestyle, so don't say I need to "get over it." 

Well I get offended when I see the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians logos. I'm Lakota, aka Native American... I don't have a huge nose, wear feathers in my hair, or my skin isn't as red as an apple. The government didn't attempt genocide on your family and lifestyle, so don't say I need to "get over it." 

They didn't?? Huh, so I guess my Shawnee family didnt get pushed out of Tennesee and into Oklahoma on the Trail of Tears with the Cherokee, lose their lifestyle and be renamed to Cherokee Shawnee and just got recognition as Loyal Shawnee in 2000? Ya, I must be mistaken.. 

Your tribe isnt the only ones to have run in's with the Government, the only tribe that never signed a treaty was the Seminoles in Florida.

yes I agree 100% . . . the only problem that I have with the single security cop theory is that is does not square with what he said in the video, as I mentioned in my prior post . . . is sounds to me like he is talking about a group of people . . .

Even if he was directing it to a group of people there is no justifiable reason why that word really needs to be used towards a person or group of people.

Guy just seems to be a certifiable ahole.