Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The addition of the fullback

oldunclemark

I (and probably you) have seen Andrew Luck this week say that what will be new and visible to outsiders will be the addition of the fullback to the 2013 Colts offense...

And we all remember how well Donald Brown ran when we put a fullback in front of him. 

I loved that.

But I'm concerned that the addition of a fullback limits an offense that was very successful in 2012.

You obvously cant run a two TE offense with a fullback or you take all but one of your receivers (the offenses strength) off the field ,..unless the fullback is TE Dwayne Allen, a psuedo pass catcher.

...but who do we have at fullback that will be a ball-carrying threat.?

Because If the FB isnt a threat and we go with two WRs and a TE....and a non-running QB behind a relatively small line, dont we become very predictable??? 

Your thoughts...

First of all, I don't expect to be in a set with a FB more than a quarter of the time. Havali carried the ball pretty well at USC, but a FB should be better at blocking and receiving than running.

I'm real interested in seeing how this works out. We all know you can't be a power running team without having a deep threat. Max protect means guys like DHB and TY have to beat coverage and separate. Could be a few bombs out of that formation.

Umm, Havili can block, catch, & run. He's actually pretty faster than a FB like Vontae Leach. Sooo, that won't be a problem.

And the way Fleener can be used, we can put him out wide or in the slot to make up for not having 2 WR's in a 2 TE set. Fleener is 6'6 which is taller than most WR's. I look for formations kinda like what the 49ers do with Vernon Davis. You can use a 2 TE set in multiple ways without having to have 2 WR's so you can keep a FB & RB on the field as a safety value so to speak for Mr. Luck

It's going to be interesting to watch this play out. We don't really have a true FB. And the fact that we didn't go get Vontae Leach tells me maybe we didn't want one. Havili runs & catches more like he's a cross between Edgerrin James & Eric Dickerson. Perhaps when the design plays out, we're really going to be running 2 back sets instead of the traditional FB. We'll see.

The better blocker wins the job.  Not just blocking for the RB, but pass blocking too.  Hands are a plus.  Running the ball is the last thing they'll look at.  He'll probably only get a couple carries a game, if any.

Looks like we have a couple good candidates!

One thing I can say with some confidence is that there is going to a very extensive playbook with multiple looks. If you're worried about have two TEs and a FB, watch this and don't be surprised if this is one of the formations that are used.

It's going to be interesting to watch this play out. We don't really have a true FB. And the fact that we didn't go get Vontae Leach tells me maybe we didn't want one. Havili runs & catches more like he's a cross between Edgerrin James & Eric Dickerson. Perhaps when the design plays out, we're really going to be running 2 back sets instead of the traditional FB. We'll see.

the eagles rb was bragging on havili`s blocking for the 2nd half of last season, saying he was blowing people up.

Good comments all..

I dint mean to say we couldnt be versatile out of a 2-TE FB-HB set....

..If one of the TEs is Fleener,. he's really a tall WR..

...and we can use Allen as the FB.....with 3 WRs...and still run from that..

Wig, Brian..I agree...its not going to be what we're used to seeing but I dont guess there's any concern we'll be limited by formation..

Lets get to that first exhibition game..I want to see soem of this...

10 more days..2  more weeks??