Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My read on the Colts offseason player moves

Superman

Gavin....

You're now comparing Tannehill,  whose been playing quarterback for all of two and a half years, with Michael Vick, whose been playing it for how long -- 15-20 years -- including high school and college?    Somehow this is a fair comparison?

And you comment on his poise in the pocket?!?    Really?   Seriously,  how long have you been studying Ryan Tannehill?   How many game films have you watched to make this conclusion?

Tannehill already has his degree in Biology and wants to be an orthopedic surgeon.    You think he's not smart enough?

You're so desperate to connect dots and justify your conclusion on Tannehill that your logic flies right out the window....

In your long response to me you commented that if Luck had put up the kind of numbers/performance that Tannehill had there would be rioting in the streets of Indy.    Well,  besides the Hyperbole,  I'd say,  of course there would be!    Andrew Luck was the most heralded college quarterback since Peyton,  some might say since Elway.     Ryan Tannehill was not.    Not even close.    Most thought he was a reach.    He went where he went because his college coach was now his pro offensive coordinator.    The transition would be smooth.    It made sense for Miami.    Perhaps not for another franchise,  but for Miami it worked.    Only you make the comparison to Luck -- no one else does.    

I'm not saying Tannehill is a slam dunk to succeed.   The jury is still out.   But most of the reviews are very encouraging.   I don't know why you're working so hard to trash the kid.    But those issues are yours....

Your reasoning remains a mystery.....

p.s. -- Tannehill's Wonderlic score.....   34....   3rd highest of all QB's in the 2012 draft...  Luck was first with a 37...    Average NFL wonderlic score is 25....

They are similar when it comes to poise in the pocket, Not sure what biology has to do with football , I dont believe I said he wasn't smart, I said he lacks poise in the pocket to consistently beat teams with his arm, Two different things entirely. Congrats to him scoring high on a meaningless test that has absolutely nothing to do with football though, Im not saying he dont have a chance,  Every QB that ever lines up behind Center has some sort of chance. But unfortunately I think the odds are very very much against him because he was the 8 pick in the draft for a player that was not a QB very long at all who, As we all know if your drafted that high great things are expected from you early and often in most cases, I think much much improvement will ahve to take place for him to be the long term solution between year 1 and year 2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Tannehill will be fine. He's already gotten used to the speed and pace of the NFL and he's running the same offense he ran in college. He has no excuse but to improve and I think he will. When they played us last year I think he would have beaten us if they had betterWR. This year they've gotten better in the WR corps as well as the running game so I expecta better showing from Ryan. I didn't think he was horrible when we played them last year. Could I tell he was a rookie? Yes, but he didn't stink up the joint. In the game we played against them he kept his team in the game for a good majority of the contest. I didn't think he was a scrub at all.

They are similar when it comes to poise in the pocket, Not sure what biology has to do with football , I dont believe I said he wasn't smart, I said he lacks poise in the pocket to consistently beat teams with his arm, Two different things entirely. Congrats to him scoring high on a meaningless test that has absolutely nothing to do with football though, Im not saying he dont have a chance,  Every QB that ever lines up behind Center has some sort of chance. But unfortunately I think the odds are very very much against him because he was the 8 pick in the draft for a player that was not a QB very long at all who, As we all know if your drafted that high great things are expected from you early and often in most cases, I think much much improvement will ahve to take place for him to be the long term solution between year 1 and year 2

Well....

You ignored what you couldn't answer....

You know, comparing Vick and Tannehill.      And the fact that Tannehill has played the position just two and a half years.   And how much could you possibly know about his poise anyway.   How much tape could you possibly have watched to draw such a conclusion.

And that his OC was his college coach running the same system (think Luck and Hamilton)...    and that there's no need to compare Tannehill and Luck because their circumstances are not the same...

And the Wonderlic, while dismissed by you, is administered by the NFL and used by the teams...    so, if you think it's meaningless,  then take it up with the NFL....

Otherwise,  you did great......

And the Wonderlic, while dismissed by you, is administered by the NFL and used by the teams...    so, if you think it's meaningless,  then take it up with the NFL....

To be fair, the Wonderlic has basically 0% correlation with NFL success.

Well....

You ignored what you couldn't answer....

You know, comparing Vick and Tannehill.      And the fact that Tannehill has played the position just two and a half years.   And how much could you possibly know about his poise anyway.   How much tape could you possibly have watched to draw such a conclusion.

And that his OC was his college coach running the same system (think Luck and Hamilton)...    and that there's no need to compare Tannehill and Luck because their circumstances are not the same...

The All 22 film is available on NFL.com so I can watch as much film as any coach on last season

Vick and Tannehill offer similar skill sets with Vick being faster. My opening sentence compared Vick and Tannehill, Neither were what you would call field generals coming into the league and Vick still isn't

1. A physical education class has three times as many girls as boys. During a class basketball game, the girls average 18 points each, and the class as a whole averages 17 points per person. How many points does each boy score on average?

Now if you think that has anything to do with how well a QB turns out or any player whatsoever and has any meaning as it pertains to football Im not really sure what to tell you to be honest, Not a shot at you,. Im just saying a low or high wonderlic score means absolutely nothing as it pertains to football, Several teams dont put any stock into it

The All 22 film is available on NFL.com so I can watch as much film as any coach on last season

Vick and Tannehill offer similar skill sets with Vick being faster. My opening sentence compared Vick and Tannehill, Neither were what you would call field generals coming into the league and Vick still isn't

1. A physical education class has three times as many girls as boys. During a class basketball game, the girls average 18 points each, and the class as a whole averages 17 points per person. How many points does each boy score on average?

Now if you think that has anything to do with how well a QB turns out or any player whatsoever and has any meaning as it pertains to football Im not really sure what to tell you to be honest, Not a shot at you,. Im just saying a low or high wonderlic score means absolutely nothing as it pertains to football, Several teams dont put any stock into it

As to the film you can watch.....   interesting that you say that you can....   but you haven't said that you have...

Are you really going to sit there and tell us you've watched 16 Dolphins regular season games, his 4 pre-season games, his 17 games he QB's at Texas A&M and you're ready to pronounce him a bust?

Heck,  Cleveland isn't even ready to pronounce Weeden and bust.   And they shouldn't.   These things take time....

I don't know why you're in such a hurry to pronounce someone a bust,  other than to confirm you pre-draft opinion.

As to your Wonderlic views....   sure,  there are some teams that don't pay any attention to it....   but most do...  and the NFL administers it....   and has for decades....   so, while you may not like it, and apparently Dustin doesn't like it,  the NFL still does.    You'll have to take it up with them....

But it hasn't been debunked to the NFL's satisfaction....  and that is why they still use it...  and some teams still put stock in it....

I'm having a hard time believing that any team actually put's any stock into that. Maybe they do, but I couldn't imagine them passing over a better player for someone else because they scored low on their wonderlic.  

I'm having a hard time believing that any team actually put's any stock into that. Maybe they do, but I couldn't imagine them passing over a better player for someone else because they scored low on their wonderlic.  

For what little it's worth -- and I emphasize the 'little' part....    I think it only plays an important role in a position like Quarterback and perhaps Center,  where brains are very, very important.

That said,  I've got a draft guide with the average wonderlic score for every position...   so, that information is out there....

Its not a requirement by all teams

The teams don't require the players take it....   the NFL does,  at the combine.

Some don't take it seriously...  like when Morris Claiborne scored a '4' a year ago...    I don't think he's that dumb...   but I think it did show that he didn't care and he didn't take it seriously... 

And,  the Cowboys turned around and traded up for him with the 6th overall pick, if my memory serves correctly...   so, apparently Dallas didn't care at all..

As to the film you can watch.....   interesting that you say that you can....   but you haven't said that you have...

Are you really going to sit there and tell us you've watched 16 Dolphins regular season games, his 4 pre-season games, his 17 games he QB's at Texas A&M and you're ready to pronounce him a bust?

Heck,  Cleveland isn't even ready to pronounce Weeden and bust.   And they shouldn't.   These things take time....

I don't know why you're in such a hurry to pronounce someone a bust,  other than to confirm you pre-draft opinion.

As to your Wonderlic views....   sure,  there are some teams that don't pay any attention to it....   but most do...  and the NFL administers it....   and has for decades....   so, while you may not like it, and apparently Dustin doesn't like it,  the NFL still does.    You'll have to take it up with them....

I think its quite clear he has had some good games and some bad games, he is at best a pretty inconsistent QB, was at A&M and was last year in Miami, He is inconsistent technique at times, The Wonderlic is not required, there is nothing to take up, some teams share my views on that, some dont, its  apersonal opinion, Whats not a personal opinion is is no matter how bad or good a wonderlic score is that dont make you a good or bad football player, I know you comprehend that but you seem to not understand just because its administered does not mean that it bears some meaning as to how a player will turn out, How abotu some relibvant questions such as: If your an NFL player and you go out with some buddies and a fight breaks out between your buddies and some other pedestrians hwo do you respond? How about, If one of your teammates takes or buys performance enhancing drugs or any other recreational drug (I know PED's are not recreational) then what do you do?

Do you....

A)Keep quiet because he is your teammate thereby leaving the door open for your name to be throw around unjustly?

B)Take them with him?

C)Turn him in? anonymously or not

Questions like that, Now sure a player will evidently lie about that question but you cant lie once your confronted with that scenario especially if its in your system or multiple people can pin you to the place and time it happened

I'm relatively neutral on the importance of the tests....    but I'd be curious about the result....   it's one more piece to a giant puzzle...   that's how I view all player profiles...   like a giant puzzle...   and it's one more piece...

Separately,  the NFL also has players take psychological profile tests....   with some questions like....   how do you see yourself?  are you a dog or a cat?    And other stuff,  some of which I think is nonsense....   some which may have some meaning...

But again,  it's all information.

I'm in information person.   The more I can get the better.    You try to gather information to reduce your chances of making a mistake.   Each NFL team is a billion dollar corporation.   Players are employees and the public representatives of the company. You want as few mistakes as possible...   not just for on field performance,  but in finding out if the players will make poor off the field decisions as well.   

So, I always want more information, not less.