Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Bradshaw deal falls apart..What are your thoughts on Payton Hillis?

I would prefer Bradshaw, but if he wants too much money he isn't worth the risk..I don't know why Hillis isn't being considered?? I was in Cleveland when he was with the Browns and he was tearing teams up on a BAD  Browns team he was 1 of the few bright spots...He has the rare combination of power and elusiveness and is a good blocker and receiver out of the backfield..He would be the Power Back we've never had...I know , like many other RB's he dealt with injuries in KC last year, but I remember him looking pretty good against us which admittingly doesn't say much , but I like his talent and he is still young..He is a good locker room guy and gives it all on the field....I'm sure the "No more running backites", will love this thread but whatever....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a decent running back one season. I think he would be a solid third back. Would he fit our scheme though?

I think he would fit in well...When he is at his best he is not fun for opposing teams to tackle, and is just another big powerful intimidating player which seems to be the direction we are going and I like it...

I'd take him over brown any day of the week. But i will be seriously disappointed if we miss out on the best pass blocking back in the league, and a tough physical veteran who gets the job done without complaining, also a great leader(Ahmad "The Bad" Bradshaw). He could even take over the #1 spot in my honest unbiased Colts fan opinion. Anyone else agree? 

. He could even take over the #1 spot in my honest unbiased Colts fan opinion. Anyone else agree? 

I agree that he would be the best RB on our team and would have the talent to be our #1, but he's also not been able to really carry the load without getting dinged up. So I would expect that Ballard would still get the majority of the carries so that we don't overuse Bradshaw.

I agree that he would be the best RB on our team and would have the talent to be our #1, but he's also not been able to really carry the load without getting dinged up. So I would expect that Ballard would still get the majority of the carries so that we don't overuse Bradshaw.

i think it would be a 60/40 ratio more so than the 80/20 he had when he ran with Brandon Jacobs. 

Honestlty this signing would make my day just because there is nothing else going on in the colts world. 

I'd take him over brown any day of the week. But i will be seriously disappointed if we miss out on the best pass blocking back in the league, and a tough physical veteran who gets the job done without complaining, also a great leader(Ahmad "The Bad" Bradshaw). He could even take over the #1 spot in my honest unbiased Colts fan opinion. Anyone else agree? 

I agree with you there..Bradshaw is the best pass-blocker in the NFL..Can't overpay though...If he is healthy it's a no brainer...

Payton Hillis...Don't want em, don't need em, & other than 2008 in Denver & Cleveland in 2010 that put him front & center on Madden 12 what has Hillis accomplished recently in this league? Next question...

So that means he can't be good again if healthy???

According to the Giants website Bradshaw has missed 12 games in six years. 2007-4, 2008-1, 2009-1, 2010-0, 2011-4 and 2012-2.  Where he gets this unfair reputation of being hurt all of the time I have no clue. 

According to the Giants website Bradshaw has missed 12 games in six years. 2007-4, 2008-1, 2009-1, 2010-0, 2011-4 and 2012-2. Where he gets this unfair reputation of being hurt all of the time I have no clue.

Dinged up as in he misses a ton of practices and plays through injuries.

Payton Hillis...Don't want em, don't need em, & other than 2008 in Denver & Cleveland in 2010 that put him front & center on Madden 12 what has Hillis accomplished recently in this league? Next question...

I agree. 2,470 yards and 21 TDs in 5 years is not very impressive. Even in the year (2011) that Charles was injured he only ran for 587 yards and 3 TDs. 

Dinged up as in he misses a ton of practices and plays through injuries.

I get that but missing practice and missing games are two different things. Maybe having a tough guy out there on the field would rub off on some other players?  Even sharing running duties with Brandon Jacobs and David Wilson he did rush for 4,232 yards and 32 TDs. He also caught 132 passes for 1,087 yards and 3 TDs. Those are some pretty good stats considering he was in a timeshare with other RBs. 

I get that but missing practice and missing games are two different things. Maybe having a tough guy out there on the field would rub off on some other players? Even sharing running duties with Brandon Jacobs and David Wilson he did rush for 4,232 yards and 32 TDs. He also caught 132 passes for 1,087 yards and 3 TDs. Those are some pretty good stats considering he was in a timeshare with other RBs.

Oh I agree. I've been saying that Bradhsaw is a top 10 RB when he's healthy, but the fact is still that you don't want to overuse him because of his injury history. Ballard only started 10 games last season and carried the ball 220+ times. If Bradshaw was to take over at the #1 spot he would be looking at 270+ carries and he 's not really built for that.

I would prefer Bradshaw, but if he wants too much money he isn't worth the risk..I don't know why Hillis isn't being considered?? I was in Cleveland when he was with the Browns and he was tearing teams up on a BAD  Browns team he was 1 of the few bright spots...He has the rare combination of power and elusiveness and is a good blocker and receiver out of the backfield..He would be the Power Back we've never had...I know , like many other RB's he dealt with injuries in KC last year, but I remember him looking pretty good against us which admittingly doesn't say much , but I like his talent and he is still young..He is a good locker room guy and gives it all on the field....I'm sure the "No more running backites", will love this thread but whatever....

Hillis is known to have attitude issues around the league

Oh I agree. I've been saying that Bradhsaw is a top 10 RB when he's healthy, but the fact is still that you don't want to overuse him because of his injury history. Ballard only started 10 games last season and carried the ball 220+ times. If Bradshaw was to take over at the #1 spot he would be looking at 270+ carries and he 's not really built for that.

I don't think for one minute that Bradshaw would be the #1. He is best used on the goal line and some spot duties. The Plus side is with depth at RB it should keep all of our RBs fresh and healthy. Lets not overlook that Bradshaw has pretty good hands out of the backfield as well. 

So that means he can't be good again if healthy???

He's a huge upgrade from Donald Brown. I can't lie Jshipp23. If we bring Hillis in to kick the tires & see how much tread he's got fine, but don't expect a miracle here IMO. If your asking Bradshaw over Hillis, I'd take a flyer on Hillis first. 

He's a huge upgrade from Donald Brown. I can't lie Jshipp23. If we bring Hillis in to kick the tires & see how much tread he's got fine, but don't expect a miracle here IMO. If your asking Bradshaw over Hillis, I'd take a flyer on Hillis first. 

Hillis really?? I'd take Bradshaw, but would be happy with either to be honest...

Hillis is known to have attitude issues around the league

You mean like he's tired of losing & would like to be on a Playoff bound team. I'd probably need an attitude adjustment there myself Gavin. Point taken though: Be a true professional at all times. No argument there. 

Hillis really?? I'd take Bradshaw, but would be happy with either to be honest...

Like I said before in agreement with BOTT & John Dee, Bradshaw's lingering foot surgeries/issues are a huge red flag to me. Foot issues excuse the pun are the achilles heel to RBs in this league. Knees & ankle problems not so much. Durability & remaining on the field is my concern with Bradshaw not his vision & power. JMO.

I'd wanna sit down with Tom Couglin first, do a full medical workup, & see how Bradshaw practiced & motivated his teammates around him 1st. Foot issues are just so dicey & unpredictable man. You can't afford to sign a guy & then have him sit on the bench for 6-8 games though. I get his talent & I see it, but Bradshaw's foot ailments are not so easily overlooked & game production with no health setbacks are mandatory. No I don't have a crystal ball, but recent history suggests that Bradshaw is not a gamble I'd take right now. 

If I'm wrong, I will own it & admit my mistake. You have my word. It's too risky. 

I'd wanna sit down with Tom Couglin first, do a full medical workup, & see how Bradshaw practiced & motivated his teammates around him 1st. Foot issues are just so dicey & unpredictable man. You can't afford to sign a guy & then have him sit on the bench for 6-8 games though. I get his talent & I see it, but Bradshaw's foot ailments are not so easily overlooked & game production with no health setbacks are mandatory. No I don't have a crystal ball, but recent history suggests that Bradshaw is not a gamble I'd take right now. 

If I'm wrong, I will own it & admit my mistake. You have my word. It's too risky. 

That's fair, and well said... I'd take the gamble if I knew the medical and they said he was good to go...

That's fair, and well said... I'd take the gamble if I knew the medical and they said he was good to go...

I can respect that jshipp23 & to be honest with you, nothing would make me happier than to say that you were exactly right & I was wrong. Like you jshipp23, I just wanna win this ASAP:  :lombardi:

The one thing that I will say in Bradshaw's favor is that he does bring SB swagger into the locker room & he knows what it takes to win a ring. He can help get young guys disciplined, focused, & on the same Championship page all season long. 

Agreed, but a healthy motivated Hillis is waaaay better than Brown at #2...

Given Browns number of carries last year and in previous years his yards have been just fine, Thats not the real problem. The real problem is health, He simply cant stay healthy.. Ballard has the potential to be better then Hillis if given the number of carries, He is slightly faster, shows more cutting ability and catches the ball out of the backfield well, speed wise neither Ballard or Hillis are much at all in the homerun threat department. In the games Shipley started Brown played in 2 games and had 31 carries for 126 yards...Thats 4.0 ypc:

GB-17 for 84 yards

@Jax-14 carries 42 yards

Shipley started 3 more Brown did not play in

@Houston

@KC

Houston

The reason Ballard had more carries was because Brown got injured.....again...Or else Ballard dont get the number of carries he ended up with which means we would all be here talking about how both Brown AND Ballard sucks along with of course the entire "O Line"we had last year is in the wrong line of work...There is simply no defense against that argument.....None

To be honest, Ballard is a pretty bad reciever in my opinion. He had a lot of drops when it mattered most and doesn't have much after he catch ability. 

Give Ballard some time & he will improve with his hands IMO. Besides, he's paid to run between the tackles as our thumber, work horse back. Don't change his role on a squad that isn't broken. 

Give Ballard some time & he will improve with his hands IMO. Besides, he's paid to run between the tackles as our thumber, work horse back. Don't change his role on a squad that isn't broken. 

It's whats behind him in case of injury that's the problem...