Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's Goofy , Shanahan Or Pep ?

dw49

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same way you get up in arms when I tell you Arian Foster is average.

Because he's not average and you think that low YPC tell the whole story. I never called Wayne average. Foster is considered one of the elite runningbacks in this league and rightfully so.

Because he's not average and you think that low YPC tell the whole story. I never called Wayne average. Foster is considered one of the elite runningbacks in this league and rightfully so.

Foster is definitely average to below average. 

Wayne will finish his career top 10 in both catches and yards, probably top 20 in TDs and 2nd in every statistical category in the postseason behind only Jerry Rice. Think that's a little better than "solid"

He's definitely average to below average.

Wayne will finish his career top 10 in both catches and yards, probably top 20 in TDs and 2nd in every statistical category in the postseason behind only Jerry Rice. Think that's a little better than "solid"

Definitely not average. I'll just have to post his career acolades I suppose.

And probably and will are two completely different things. He still probably won't make the HOF, so he is just "solid"

Definitely not average. I'll just have to post his career acolades I suppose.

And probably and will are two completely different things. He still probably won't make the HOF, so he is just "solid"

He's definitely average. Anybody that considers him a top 10 RB at this point is severely overrating him.

Getting a ton of carries doesn't make you elite.

But it is an offense that is being run in the NFL. An offense that other teams are having success with as well. Guess we can't call it a college offense anymore.

Your putting words into my mouth. I didn't say it was a college offense , I said it was run more often in college. The point was that RG3 has easier reads facing the way defenses play the read option as compared to what they throw at Peyton Manning , Tom Brady and the other pass first throw second QB's. I think that is a fair statement.

Now from there I was questioning if Shanahan , who could be under pressure to win quickly , feels it's in his and the team's best interest to use this offense. No doubt , as you say , it's a good fit with RG3's skills. But is it going to shorten his career ? According to Shanahan... no.  According to Pep , read what he says and make your conclusion. 

He's definitely average. Anybody that considers him a top 10 RB at this point is severely overrating him.

Getting a ton of carries doesn't make you elite.

Getting tons of yardage and fumbling the ball 10 plus times and throwing 18 interceptions doesn't make you elite either, yet everyone around here seems to think so.

Getting tons of yardage and fumbling the ball 10 plus times and throwing 18 interceptions doesn't make you elite either, yet everyone around here seems to think so.

I agree. I don't consider Andrew elite. You must be confusing me with Jshipp.

Your putting words into my mouth. I didn't say it was a college offense , I said it was run more often in college. The point was that RG3 has easier reads facing the way defenses play the read option as compared to what they throw at Peyton Manning , Tom Brady and the other pass first throw second QB's. I think that is a fair statement.

Now from there I was questioning if Shanahan , who could be under pressure to win quickly , feels it's in his and the team's best interest to use this offense. No doubt , as you say , it's a good fit with RG3's skills. But is it going to shorten his career ? According to Shanahan... no. According to Pep , read what he says and make your conclusion.

Defenses will throw everything at the read-option to stop it as well. It is a complicated offense to run too, just as a standard dropback is. Heck, like you said, the QB could be putting himself at risk if he doesn't run it right. Sounds difficult to me.

I agree. I don't consider Andrew elite. You must be confusing me with Jshipp.

No, I'm not saying it was you. But I've seen more than one poster claim that he is elite or will be next year, which is highly improbable if not impossible by some concepts of the word. But it's cool. We'll see what steps he takes next year.

The word elite is over used.......

Who decided who is elite? Is there a committee that meets once a year and hands out elite status?

Heck I can call anyone I want elite!

Yep, we have elite study groups every year, one in the fall and one right after the season. You're invited to the next session, its fun to judge these guys. :)

Yep, we have elite study groups every year, one in the fall and one right after the season. You're invited to the next session, its fun to judge these guys. :)

Well that explains it. Seems the message forums always know who is elite and what teams and I am often lost in the shuffle........

No, its the fact that Luck withstood so much adversity: played without much of a running game, one of the worst O-lines in the league; Avery and Hilton ranking #1 in drop percentage; Arian's air-it-out scheme; Pagano in and out of the hospital, Arians in the hospital for the playoff game, a bad defense, and an offensive skills position cast made almost entirely of rookies-- yet he was always able to maintain his poise, shake off the bad plays and keep making "wow" plays.

Yes he had many turn overs. With most other QB's, one of two things would have happened:

1. They wouldn't have taken their shots downfield and wouldn't have done enough to overcome all of the above mentioned adversities. Their play would've been safe but not result in wins. Luck simply had to keep slinging the ball to win, and he did. That's all that mattered. Most other QBs wouldn't have even had close to the success that Luck had. Of course this is all conjecture, but we've seen enough football to know when a team is overwhelmed, yet the Luck led Colts had 11 wins.

Or-

2. They too would have taken an absolute beating, like Luck; gotten back up and kept firing, throwing interceptions along the way, fumbling, but still finding a way to win. Because if you didn't gamble and take those shots, with this team, you weren't going to win any another way.

I find the latter admirable, yet people bash Luck for slinging the ball and throwing picks.

Is Luck elite? No. Has he shown that he has everything to be elite? I think he has.

No, its the fact that Luck withstood so much adversity: played without much of a running game, one of the worst O-lines in the league; Avery and Hilton ranking #1 in drop percentage; Arian's air-it-out scheme; Pagano in and out of the hospital, Arians in the hospital for the playoff game, a bad defense, and an offensive skills position cast made almost entirely of rookies-- yet he was always able to maintain his poise, shake off the bad plays and keep making "wow" plays.

Yes he had many turn overs. With most other QB's, one of two things would have happened:

1. They wouldn't have taken their shots downfield and wouldn't have done enough to overcome all of the above mentioned adversities. Their play would've been safe but not result in wins. Luck simply had to keep slinging the ball to win, and he did. That's all that mattered. Most other QBs wouldn't have even had close to the success that Luck had. Of course this is all conjecture, but we've seen enough football to know when a team is overwhelmed, yet the Luck led Colts had 11 wins.

Or-

2. They too would have taken an absolute beating, like Luck; gotten back up and kept firing, throwing interceptions along the way, fumbling, but still finding a way to win. Because if you didn't gamble and take those shots, with this team, you weren't going to win any another way.

I find the latter admirable, yet people bash Luck for slinging the ball and throwing picks.

Is Luck elite? No. Has he shown that he has everything to be elite? I think he has.

I don't think Arians scheme was necessarily a bad thing. It's the fact that the Franchise trotted out onto the field every Sunday with a horrible line and still had to play in an offense that was pass-happy and necessitates a good line. I'm not saying that he can't be elite. All of the young guys have the potential for sure. #12 will truly be tested this year as he transitions to a new yet different offense and takes on some more difficult Ds this year. Should be fun to see how he responds.

There's one up north near the Spring/Woodlands area. That's where I usually go.

Oh yeah that's really far up north. I would have to be going to a concert or something too if I'm gonna go all the way to the Woodlands for some BBQ haha

Griffin is so effective at the offense he runs that he often doesn't have to go past the first or second read. Doesn't mean he can't.

As far as the Texans go, Matt Schaub is no track star and he can't run to save his life. Us running the read-option is completely out of the question. The pistol, however...

I think you and Anton have misunderstood. So I'll show you:

Quizboy: "I'm so much in favour of the read-option that I really wish we (Texans) draft or trade for an exciting athletic quarterback and replace our current statue, Matt.......etc. At no point did I suggest you utilise Matt Schaub in that role.

I think you and Anton have misunderstood. So I'll show you:

Quizboy: "I'm so much in favour of the read-option that I really wish we (Texans) draft or trade for an exciting athletic quarterback and replace our current statue, Matt.......etc. At no point did I suggest you utilise Matt Schaub in that role.

I'm comfortable with our starter. We do have an athletic QB on the roster in Klein who has been giving the defense looks on the read-option considering the offenses we face this year. I like the read-option enough that I wouldn't mind if we had an athletic starter and used it.

I'm comfortable with our starter. We do have an athletic QB on the roster in Klein who has been giving the defense looks on the read-option considering the offenses we face this year. I like the read-option enough that I wouldn't mind if we had an athletic starter and used it.

Fair enough. Good answer. Thanks.