Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

At first glance, Colts in good shape for 2014

Chappell's invertebrate qualifying aside, this is an encouraging read...

http://blogs.indystar.com/coltsinsider/2013/05/30/at-first-glance-colts-in-good-shape-for-2014/

When looking at the 2014 season and using a projected salary cap of $123 million.....the Colts are positioned nicely. I have them with 65 players under contract for 2014, 66 counting first-round draft pick Bjoern Werner who has yet to sign his rookie contract. I also have them roughly $32 million under the cap.

Nice article, whether we can be in as good a position when Luck's rookie deal runs out... we'll see. Though I can't see him pulling a Flacco on us.

Gut says Bethea, Vinatieri, Brow and McKinney will be the biggest names to go. Davis I'd hope we get signed up this season but if he's sensible I'm sure he'll let the season roll and ask for a decent amount after a breakout year.

plenty of money to sign our guys and maybe a couple of small contracts in FA. I do hope we sign davis during the season instead of after because if he plays lights out hes gonna want top corner money

Nice article, whether we can be in as good a position when Luck's rookie deal runs out... we'll see. Though I can't see him pulling a Flacco on us.

Gut says Bethea, Vinatieri, Brow and McKinney will be the biggest names to go. Davis I'd hope we get signed up this season but if he's sensible I'm sure he'll let the season roll and ask for a decent amount after a breakout year.

McKinney might be gone this year as that position is really crowded and we have more good defensive lineman than we can keep. But he doesn't count that much vs the cap anyway. I agree with Bethea and Brown and maybe AV. I also think could be looking at some more room opening in 2015 when Wayne and Mathis will probably be near the end. I would be very surprised to see Davis resigned this year as we have about the right amount of cap room for the season. I can't figure who would make sense to restructure to get that deal done now.

plenty of money to sign our guys and maybe a couple of small contracts in FA. I do hope we sign davis during the season instead of after because if he plays lights out hes gonna want top corner money

I think that had to be done this year before signing all the UFFA guys. I'm betting that Grigson just figured that we ill not get hurt paying him the extra 2 mill (approx) a year starting in 2014. From what I've read , we have about the right amount of extra cap room to play the season out. So that would mean restructuring players. The only players I can think of with big salaries , other than the new guys, are Wanye , Bethea and Mathis. It would be really *ic to extend those guys as you would be pushing cap losses on retired players into the years where we start paying Luck. As far as the other guys making money , Cherlius and Landry , I doubt Grigson would want to mess with their contracts. I too was hoping that we would re-up Davis before he played his contract out but I think it had to already happen. However , I think the Colts will have no problem paying him if he earns a top contract.

McKinney might be gone this year as that position is really crowded and we have more good defensive lineman than we can keep. But he doesn't count that much vs the cap anyway. I agree with Bethea and Brown and maybe AV. I also think could be looking at some more room opening in 2015 when Wayne and Mathis will probably be near the end. I would be very surprised to see Davis resigned this year as we have about the right amount of cap room for the season. I can't figure who would make sense to restructure to get that deal done now.

Fair point made about the cap room this season, I'm sill a novice in the wheeling and dealing of NFL finances. I agree McKinney could well go if Hughes/Chapman/J-F show enough. Shame, before his injury I thought he was a solid pick up.

We will most likely resign Davis but i don't think will bring back Bethea. Landry is making alot will be hard to have 15 mil tied up into the safety position, also have to pay Castanzo next year.

Next year is Castanzo's last year on his rookie contract. So he'll still be cheap in 2014.