Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft 2.0

At work with nothing to do so I thought I would just write up another mock draft, but instead of with our original picks have make a trade and get a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

2nd Round - Larry Warford G Kentucky

Big guard that can immediately make an impact as a starter from day 1.  Has good quickness for a man his size and can mirror defenders in pass protection and also has good upper body and lower body strength to drive defenders off the ball and can open up holes for the runner. 

3rd Round - Terrance Williams WR Baylor

With other needs for other teams being more of a concern I can see Williams dropping to the 3rd round.  He is a big WR that has good speed and can be a vertical threat.  Has great size for targeting the in the red zone and can be a difference maker after Reggie Wayne retires.  He is a bit raw when it comes to running routes, but with Reggie helping him out for his first year or two this shouldn't be a problem and can be fixed.

3rd Round - Jamie Collins OLB/DE Southern Miss

Collins is a quick and fairly big defender that can get after the QB.  He came to the combine as 6'3'' 250 and still has room in his frame to get bigger, which shouldn't be a problem after a year or two hitting the weight room during the offseason.  He has good quickness and burst off the snap.  Big enough to make plays and disrupt at not only in the backfield, but at the line of scrimmage.  He is a bit unreliable when it comes to defending the run because he is quite lean and linemen can neutralize him, but once he fills out his frame this shouldn't be a problem as he is not afraid of contact. His athleticism is remarkable.  4.68 40, 41.5 inch vert, 139 inch broad jump.

4th Round - Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU

With his antics off the field and getting kicked out of LSU's football program makes it so that he drops down draft boards.  But in the 4th round I think its a good pick to try and get a risk-reward type of player.  He has good instincts at the corner position and can make plays on the ball.  Even though he is small (5'9'' 190lbs) he will fight for jump balls and is not afraid of contact.  Will bring his defender down and will go attack the ballcarrier on running plays.  Can also contribute in the return game.  I thought of him as a 3rd rounder, but with more and more off the field issues arising I can see him dropping to the 4th.

6th Round - Knile Davis RB Arkansas

After his great sophomore year he followed it up with disappointing junior and senior years because of injury and the Arkansas team underperforming as a whole.  He came to the combine healthy and showed us what he is capable of doing. Physical runner with good speed and showed good vision and burst if you watch his tape from his sophomore year.  I have no doubt in my mind that he can run the football and also has good hands and the strength/size to help in pass protection.  Came to the combine at 5'11'' 216 lbs.  Ran the 40 in 4.37 and bench pressed 31 reps.  Numbers and size are similar to Adrian Peterson.  Can be a game changer and 3 down back.

7th Round - Jonathan Stewart ILB Texas A&M

Big bodied linebacker (6'4'' 250lbs) that has good speed and punishes defenders with good instincts.  Can be immediate contributor on special teams and adds good depth to the linebacking corps. 

7th Round - Quinn Sharp K/P Oklahoma St.

Has a good leg and shows he can hit kicks from 50+ yards consistently can challenge Vinatieri for starting job. He can also be a punter, but we already have McAfee for that.

I like, but I would think Collins would be long gone. Also, like I said in another thread, I don't see the point in drafting a kicker at all. Here's why:

1. We're only going to keep 1 kicker on the roster and we still have AV. 

2. There are plenty of suitable kickers in UDFA

3. Our last 7th rounder is the Mr. Irrelevant pick. We could pick a position that could actually make the roster then sign a kicker for TC in UDFA.

Meh;

I like Warford at the top of the 2nd much more then I do at 24, I like Collins much better in the 3rd, there is simply no way he goes in the 1st in my opinion, Im not even sure who started that. He is not an immediate starter, He lacks strength to hold up in containment consistently, Inconsistent tackling technique (diving at feet) and gets lost in coverage. I wouldn't mind Collins if we got him in the 3rd but I'd rather go with Lemonier or Sam Montgomery or Travis Frederick, Barrett Jones, Brian Winters. I dont see any of the Linebackers I mentioned as having to start right away opposite of Mathis either(and given Waldens contract they wouldn't anyway unless they flat out were a stud come training camp), they can be in the rotation with potential to start, 1st rounders should start right away and I dont think any of those D Linemen/Linebackers are gonna be ready from day one....All just my opinion, I know plenty will disagree and many will disagree with or part of what I said

1.Cooper or Damontre Moore (it gets more complicated if Rhodes is there) if both are gone trade down to top of 2nd, pick up a extra 3rd (hopefully)

2.Cornellius Carradine

3.Margus Hunt

3.Brian Winters

4.Aaron Dobson

6.Rex Burkhead

7.Brandan Bishop

7. Joe Vellano or Cameron Lawrence (needs to add some weight however, Hes only 230 but being drafted in the 7th would mean low risk high reward)

I really wish people would stop projecting Mathieu to us. The guy is a screw up waiting to happen! 

I wouldn't go quite that far, there are countless youth that smoked a little pot (alot seemingly in this case) who grew up and matured, Demanding a 20 year old to act 30 with much success doesn't happen alot, growing up is a process, Now Im not campaigning to draft him, I wouldn't touch him but thats do to lack of very good cover skills but growing up is a process and throwing money at someone and saying grow up is unrealistic or expecting they will because they suddenly have tons of money, I wasn't as mature at 20 as I am now at 30

I wouldn't go quite that far, there are countless youth that smoked a little (alot seemingly in this case) who grew up and matured, Demanding a 20 year old to act 30 with much success doesn't happen alot, growing up is a process, Now Im not campaigning to draft him, I wouldn't touch him but thats do to lack of very good cover skills but growing up is a process and throwing money at someone and saying grow up is unrealistic, I wasn't as mature at 20 as I am now at 30

I agree and the dope smoking isn't the only reason I don't want him. I too, don't think he'll have a true position in the NFL. He's not a good cover guy and he's just too darn small to play FS like some seem to think he'll be. The dope is just the icing on the cake for my reason to not draft him and the fact that he failed so many drug tests is just ridiculous. IMO, once this guy gets some serious cash he'll fall back into dumb habits. If people do not agree, that's fine, but I do not see Grigson or Pagano wanting anything at all to do with this guy. They preach high character guy's and I know we've had a couple guy's on the roster that have messed up and made mistakes, but I don't think any of them have done the same stupid things repeatedly over and over.

Lovely...  how about YOU send Jim Irsay the "Honey Badger's" signing bonus.   I bet that would change the dynamic?

It is easy to say such things when YOUR money is not on the line.     This kid is a BAD BET.      Everyone knows it.   

He is actually the most intriguing prospect IMO in this draft.      Who will pull the trigger on this kid?    And give a kid who has FLUNKED OVER 10 * tests GUARANTEED MONEY?     

Getcha popcorn ready.... 

I bet he is there in the third round......    JMO

I wouldn't go quite that far, there are countless youth that smoked a little pot (alot seemingly in this case) who grew up and matured, Demanding a 20 year old to act 30 with much success doesn't happen alot, growing up is a process, Now Im not campaigning to draft him, I wouldn't touch him but thats do to lack of very good cover skills but growing up is a process and throwing money at someone and saying grow up is unrealistic or expecting they will because they suddenly have tons of money, I wasn't as mature at 20 as I am now at 30

IMO best case I've been able to model is:

1) DE Datone Jones capable of switching from DE to OLB

3) C either Barrett Jones or Travis Frederick. Only Panthers and Packers really need a great center and best case is Panthers take one in 2nd since not having a 3rd pick. Packers looking at DT first pick and 2nd round they have multiple holes to fill RT, FS, CB or Center. We pick before the Packers in round 3 so am high on our luck :)

4) WR Da'Rick Rogers Due to team need I think WRs will fall lower in this draft. Although not big on Rogers character issues a Julio Jones clone would upgrade our receiving squad.

6) RB Jawan Jamison a little small and not an every down back but has all around game skill set to split carries

7th rounders open to suggestions

CB Troy Stoudemire from Minnesota mostly special teams as nations best KR

Center Will Matte from Indiana never allowed a sack in all his playing

Other future undraftables

John Major from Colorado used in SAM or MIKE

Walt Canty safety from Duke

FB Lonnie Pryor of florida State

OG Jacolby Ashworth Houston

Lovely...  how about YOU send Jim Irsay the "Honey Badger's" signing bonus.   I bet that would change the dynamic?

It is easy to say such things when YOUR money is not on the line.     This kid is a BAD BET.      Everyone knows it.   

He is actually the most intriguing prospect IMO in this draft.      Who will pull the trigger on this kid?    And give a kid who has FLUNKED OVER 10 tick tests GUARANTEED MONEY?     

Getcha popcorn ready.... 

I bet he is there in the third round......    JMO

Hmm thinking you completely misunderstood my entire post, is ok it was the weekend, I understand 

I really feel like we need a WR in the first. If there is a good player that drops to #24, we might be able to trade back into the late first and pick up an extra 4th rounder, maybe even an extra 6th to boot. A team like the 49ers have picks they need to trade, all these guys will not make the team next year for them.

Trade back to #31 and take Quinton Patton from Louisiana Tech. The guy dominated the Senior Bowl and just like ten other WRs from this draft is a "Reggie Wayne clone"

In the 3rd, I would love to see us take Alvin Bailey, OG from Arkansas. I am sick of the musical chairs that is played at guard. We have Reitz who is healthy for about 8 games, McGlynn is effective on about half the snaps, and we are better off having no guard out there than play Linkenbach. Bailey is athletic for his size and would represent a tremendous upgrade over what we have.

With two 4th rounders, I would look at Earl Wolf, SS from NC State and Will Davis CB from Utah State. Tough to know if they will both be available, but they would offer solid depth in the secondary. Wolf is 5' 11" and and about 210 ilbs so he has good size. Landry has a history of injuries so a solid backup is a must. Davis has good size and speed. He offers depth with Toler and Davis having a history of injuries.

I have no ida who may be available in the 6th or if we do pick up an extra 6th if we can package them up into the 5th round, but a guy to look at would be Jake Stoneburner, TE Ohio State. I think this guy will be a late round steal. He is 6' 3" and 250 lbs and runs a 4.6 forty. He can line up in the slot or in the backfield. He is a James Casey type player that can bring a lot of versatility to an offense.

I really feel like we need a WR in the first. If there is a good player that drops to #24, we might be able to trade back into the late first and pick up an extra 4th rounder, maybe even an extra 6th to boot. A team like the 49ers have picks they need to trade, all these guys will not make the team next year for them.

Trade back to #31 and take Quinton Patton from Louisiana Tech. The guy dominated the Senior Bowl and just like ten other WRs from this draft is a "Reggie Wayne clone"

In the 3rd, I would love to see us take Alvin Bailey, OG from Arkansas. I am sick of the musical chairs that is played at guard. We have Reitz who is healthy for about 8 games, McGlynn is effective on about half the snaps, and we are better off having no guard out there than play Linkenbach. Bailey is athletic for his size and would represent a tremendous upgrade over what we have.

With two 4th rounders, I would look at Earl Wolf, SS from NC State and Will Davis CB from Utah State. Tough to know if they will both be available, but they would offer solid depth in the secondary. Wolf is 5' 11" and and about 210 ilbs so he has good size. Landry has a history of injuries so a solid backup is a must. Davis has good size and speed. He offers depth with Toler and Davis having a history of injuries.

I have no ida who may be available in the 6th or if we do pick up an extra 6th if we can package them up into the 5th round, but a guy to look at would be Jake Stoneburner, TE Ohio State. I think this guy will be a late round steal. He is 6' 3" and 250 lbs and runs a 4.6 forty. He can line up in the slot or in the backfield. He is a James Casey type player that can bring a lot of versatility to an offense.

Honestly I couldn't disagree more.  WR is by no means our most needed position.  Drafting a WR this year is actually kind of a luxury, its just something that would be nice so we can groom them into something later on.  And we don't have 2 4th round picks, we have 1 and 2 7th round picks an no 5th round pick, not counting any trades.  

And why would we draft a "versatile" TE? We have Allen and Fleener.  Allen is one of the best blocking TE in the game and he has good hands and decent speed.  Fleener is a guy who is working on his blocking, but can stretch the field at TE and make a lot of mismatches.  And I don't think we should draft a safety, if its going to be anyone it should be Cyperien in the 1st, but we do need another corner, but OLB and G I think are our most needed in this draft.  

I would throw Nose Tackle in there, but I'm just gonna see how everyone does there this year. Josh Chapman, Franklin, etc.

Honestly I couldn't disagree more.  WR is by no means our most needed position.  Drafting a WR this year is actually kind of a luxury, its just something that would be nice so we can groom them into something later on.  And we don't have 2 4th round picks, we have 1 and 2 7th round picks an no 5th round pick, not counting any trades.  

And why would we draft a "versatile" TE? We have Allen and Fleener.  Allen is one of the best blocking TE in the game and he has good hands and decent speed.  Fleener is a guy who is working on his blocking, but can stretch the field at TE and make a lot of mismatches.  And I don't think we should draft a safety, if its going to be anyone it should be Cyperien in the 1st, but we do need another corner, but OLB and G I think are our most needed in this draft.  

I would throw Nose Tackle in there, but I'm just gonna see how everyone does there this year. Josh Chapman, Franklin, etc.

I understand we don't have two 4th round picks. My introduction presupposes a trade back with the 49ers who have picks to trade.

WR is a need position. Wide receivers have a tendency to drop off precipitously near the end of their careers. This draft is deep at WR and the value is particularly there at the end of the 1st. Take a guy that can replace Wayne now and let him learn with Wayne for a couple years. Patton can be a great WR in this league.

The idea for Stoneburner is to get a guy that is under the radar that could be a steal. He was underutilized at Ohio State. I disagree that Allen is one of the best blocking tight ends in the league. That is just not an accurate statement. We often utilized a 3rd tight end even when Fleener was healthy near the end of the season. Stoneburner offers versatility. We will be using a FB more and he can be that guy in the backfield that can block as well as catch passes out of the backfield. He can also line up in the slot, on the line, numerous possibilities. Look at New England, they collect tight ends for a reason. Good ones offer matchup problems.

Also, it would be a mistake not to add depth at safety. I like Wolf. I would not be surprised if we add a free safety actually since Bethea is in the last year of his deal. Landry has an injury history. I think we can get a better backup that Lefeged.

I understand we don't have two 4th round picks. My introduction presupposes a trade back with the 49ers who have picks to trade.

WR is a need position. Wide receivers have a tendency to drop off precipitously near the end of their careers. This draft is deep at WR and the value is particularly there at the end of the 1st. Take a guy that can replace Wayne now and let him learn with Wayne for a couple years. Patton can be a great WR in this league.

The idea for Stoneburner is to get a guy that is under the radar that could be a steal. He was underutilized at Ohio State. I disagree that Allen is one of the best blocking tight ends in the league. That is just not an accurate statement. We often utilized a 3rd tight end even when Fleener was healthy near the end of the season. Stoneburner offers versatility. We will be using a FB more and he can be that guy in the backfield that can block as well as catch passes out of the backfield. He can also line up in the slot, on the line, numerous possibilities. Look at New England, they collect tight ends for a reason. Good ones offer matchup problems.

Also, it would be a mistake not to add depth at safety. I like Wolf. I would not be surprised if we add a free safety actually since Bethea is in the last year of his deal. Landry has an injury history. I think we can get a better backup that Lefeged.

If the WR is so deep in this class theres no reason to make a reach at the end of the 1st for Patton, hes probably gonna be a mid-to-late 2nd early 3rd round selection.  And Allen is one of the best blocking TE's in the League.  Watch the tape, he was effective in the run and the pass, even played fullback and paved the way for whoever was running.  We just traded for a FB from the Eagles who is just as versatile, and if we need someone to block we also have Saunders, there is absolutely no reason to draft a TE this year with so many other needs.  Drafting a TE at all this year would just be a waste.

You're choosing luxury over needs.  I would much rather us get an immediate need at G/C or OLB early.  Like I said before... WR is not a position of NEED. There's nothing wrong with looking at the future, but as of right now there are much more pressing needs that can be fixed through this draft.  We can find a quality WR that we can groom later in the draft or address it in FA or next years draft with our 1st round draft pick.

I like him he played with our R/B Vic Ballard. Mississippi State L/B Cameron Lawrence #10 2011-2012. Back to Back 120+Tackle seasons.

291 Tackles, 7 Sacks, 9 pass break ups, 5 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions. All-SEC football, ALL-SEC academics, Team Captain,

YES!! HE'S AN ANIMAL......and he's under the radar, hopefully we select him in later rounds

2. Alvin Bailey or Barrett Jones

3. Trevardo Williams or Logan Ryan

3. Aaron Dobson or Kenny Stills

4. Christine Micheal (I pray we get him, he is the Hardest working running back in the draft, and a great person)

6. Cameron Lawrence (Thanks to Bryancambell33)

7. Josh Evans

Some players id like to see us select if that trade is actually made

Scenario 1:

1.Jonathan Cooper-G

3.Corey Lemonier-DE/OLB

4.Sanders Commings-CB

6.Conner Vernon-WR

7.Brandan Bishop-FS

7.Joe Vellano 3-4 DE

Scenario 2:

1.Damontre Moore-OLB

3.Brian Winters or Travis Frederick-Guard

4.Aaron Mellete-WR

6.D.J. Harper-RB

7.Brandan Bishop-FS

7.Joe Vellano-3-4 DE

Scenario 3:

1.Trade down to 34-49ers (pickup there 3rd(74 and 5th(157))

2.Cornellius Carradine-3-4 de/olb

3.Brian Winters-Guard

4.Aaron Dobson-WR

5.Travis Howard-CB

5.Mark Jackson-OT

6.Chris Thompson-RB

7.Brandan Bishop-FS

7.Joe Vellano-3-4 DE

My favorite is Scenario 1 or 3

In Scenario 1 you have

1.Immediate starting RG

3.Rotational olb/de future starter

4.CB with long term potential

6.rotational wr with long term potential

7.FS-Quality depth with long term potential

7.DE-Quality depth with long term potential

Scenario 3 you have

extra pick

rotational DE/OLB

starting Right Guard

rotational wr with long term potential

long term CB potential with size

Tackle depth (competition)

Kick Return/Punt Returner who can be used in special packages on off at rb who is a big play threat(if in the very very unlikely scenario we move on form Brown between now and the start of the season)

Quality FS Depth with potential to start

rotational 3-4 de with long term potential especially on passing downs