Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Colts Draft with trade

1st- WR Keenan Allen, California (Gives us our young #1 WR for Luck to grow with. This move will also allow us to not depend on Reggie so much which will hopefully prolong his career an extra year or 2.)

3rd- OLB Corey Lemonier, Auburn (Gives us good depth at OLB now and if he pans out we can trade Mathis next offseason since he is costing us too much.)

*Indy trades ILB Kavell Conner to Minnesota for their 4th round pick* (Indy needs picks and Minn needs better LBs and have extra picks to spare.)

4th(via trade)- OG Alvin Bailey, Arkansas (We still need another starter at OG since McGlynn cant consistently get it done. Ijalana would be a luxery if he can come back but we can't count on it to happen yet.)

4th- CB/FS Tyrann Mathieu, LSU (We still need a good 3rd corner to compete with Butler for the nickel spot. This pick is also an insurance policy in case we cant resign Bethea next offseason. Mathieu can play both nickel and FS spots. With the many leaders we have on this team, we have just as good a chance as anyone to keep him in line in the pros.)

6th- ILB Michael Mauti, Penn State (He has had injury problems, but we take a chance on a guy who could be a steal at the ILB spot for us. We still have Angerer and Freeman so theres no need to rush this guy to play until he is fully healthy. He replaces Conner.)

I would love if we got Mathieu, but I don't think he will fall to the 4th.  If he is there in the 3rd, I think he would be a good pick.  My gut (which, of course, isn't always right) tells me he will be a good player.  He knows how to play the game.  The dude can ball

What is it with you and trading Mathis?

Its a money/age issue plus we could find players who fit his position better through the draft. Mathis will be 33 next offseason and hasnt produced like a 10 million/per year player should. Maybe this year he proves me wrong though. I love Mathis as a player, just dont know if his play these past 2 years are worth 10 million a year.

Its a money/age issue plus we could find players who fit his position better through the draft. Mathis will be 33 next offseason and hasnt produced like a 10 million/per year player should. Maybe this year he proves me wrong though. I love Mathis as a player, just dont know if his play these past 2 years are worth 10 million a year.

That's fair.

In 2014 Mathis' cap hit would be 8,750 Mil ... If we trade him in 2014, we would save 3 Mil which is his Base Salary for that year.. the rest: 5,750 Mil (3,750 Signing Bonus + 2 Mil Other Bonuses) would still count against our cap. (but I could be wrong)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/2014/

Let´s see what he can do as our Rush LB, dont think trading him to save 3 Mil is worth it. He´s a Leader too... our locker room needs him imo.

1. TRADE (...and with the Darius Heyward-Bey WR talk this week)

2. Warford G or Jones C/G

3. Williams DT, Rambo FS, 

3. Winters G or Schwenke C/G

4. Chris Harper WR, DaRick Rogers WR or DJ Swearinger FS

6. Wes Horton DE or Hurst OT

7. Kyle Juscyzck FB

7. FB Ontario McCalebb RB or Ace Sanders WR