Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article Mentioning Collins, Painter & Manning

NM_Colts

We already knew Collins was injured from a previous post by Bayone. It also mentions Painter getting snaps with 1st team and Manning might be in coaches booth.

Colts hoping Collins’ plays through sore shoulder

Posted at: 09/22/2011 1:06 PM

(AP) INDIANAPOLIS - The Colts don’t expect a sore throwing shoulder to keep Kerry Collins out Sunday night against Pittsburgh.

The injury limited Collins at Wednesday’s practice, but coach Jim Caldwell says Collins should do more work on Thursday.

It’s unclear when the 38-year-old Collins was injured during last week’s loss to Cleveland.

The only other quarterbacks on Indy’s active roster are Peyton Manning, who is expected to miss at least two months after having neck surgery, and Curtis Painter, who took some snaps with the starters Wednesday. Undrafted rookie Mike Hartline is on the practice squad.

Caldwell says Manning could be in the coaches’ booth Sunday if doctors clear him.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Having Manning there can only help the Colts offense. He knows it probably better than anyone and can point out things that others probably wont see. Hopefully Kerry can make the plays and hopefully the line gives him the time to make the plays.

Not shocking that Curtis was getting snaps with the first team if Kerry has a sore shoulder. No one else to take the snaps, well I guess Pat or Addai could take them but that wouldn't be very productive lol.

Having Manning there can only help the Colts offense. He knows it probably better than anyone and can point out things that others probably wont see. Hopefully Kerry can make the plays and hopefully the line gives him the time to make the plays.

Not shocking that Curtis was getting snaps with the first team if Kerry has a sore shoulder. No one else to take the snaps, well I guess Pat or Addai could take them but that wouldn't be very productive lol.

Pat as in McAffee? Does he have QBing experience?

then never gave painter a fair shake

They played him for three pre-season games, other than one quarter against a team who has given up over 800 yards passing in two weeks he did nothing. They also saw him for two years before that and all the practices before that. Had he showed them something they would have never signed Kerry Collins in the first place. Remember it wasn't that long ago EVERYONE on here execpt for Smitto was saying anyone but Painter and calling for him to be released. Now people are saying we didn't give him a fair shake? Really? Which is it fan either he stinks and needs to be cut or we didn't give him a fair shake you can't have it both ways.

They played him for three pre-season games, other than one quarter against a team who has given up over 800 yards passing in two weeks he did nothing. They also saw him for two years before that and all the practices before that. Had he showed them something they would have never signed Kerry Collins in the first place. Remember it wasn't that long ago EVERYONE on here execpt for Smitto was saying anyone but Painter and calling for him to be released. Now people are saying we didn't give him a fair shake? Really? Which is it fan either he stinks and needs to be cut or we didn't give him a fair shake you can't have it both ways.

if so you know its a difference between first and second strings and havin a game plan and not having one

wayne was right about collins be a step back we have to dumb the play book down have run a fast pased offense and what kills me is collins dont step up at all in pocket when tackles ride out the ends

Well that's a +1 in my book and that is exactly the way I feel and have felt for sometime. I also heard on the news tonight that the 3rd QB would be McAfee. I didn't know he had QB experience but in training camp he was throwing to the receivers. He must be our boy wonder. :applause:

if so you know its a difference between first and second strings and havin a game plan and not having one

wayne was right about collins be a step back we have to dumb the play book down have run a fast pased offense and what kills me is collins dont step up at all in pocket when tackles ride out the ends

I don't know it, but I do know the coaches see Painter every day and we don't. They felt like we needed to make a move at the QB spot. So clearly I am not the only one who questioned Painter. In fact up till two weeks ago EVERYONE on here other than Smitto was questioning Painter. Any time someone tried to defend Painter by bringingup first and second stringers and the game plan they were told no they were wrong he stinks. Now that Collins is struggling those things now matter and the Colts never gave him a shot. It's a classic case of the Colts once again doing what the fans said they should have done and once it didn't work the way people hoped people are saying the Colts are stupid for not doing something else. I am just saying people can't have it both ways, either Painter was given a fair shake and stinks like everyone but Smitto said up till now or Painter wasn't given a fair shake. Which is it? Now that Kerry Collins is struggling people are trying to change their stance on Painter so they can once again bash the Colts for making a bad decission even though they were saying do the samething the Colts did up till now. I'll listen to Smitto on this because he has defended Painter to the death since day one. Everyone else would have done exactly what the Colts did and were calling for the Colts to do what they did and heck I'll say they wanted it a step beyond this, a lot of them wanted Painter flat out released. Now he's the answer to our prayers? Not buying it.

On to Reggie Wayne, you are going to throw out the comments that people ripped him for and said he was being a bad teammate for ripping on Collins and that some said Wayne was just saying that so Collins would throw his way? Again really? Maybe you didn't feel that way then but a lot of people here sure did and it's amazing how quickly people just change their views of things and try to pretend they never said the other things in the first place. Also Reggie Wayne said before the Texans game that he was amazed at how fast Kerry Collins was picking up the offense. He also said on Sunday Night on WTHR that Kerry is coming along and that it's not just Kerry who isn't getting things done on offense and that he knows they can win with Kerry. Is Wayne right about those things or is it something else because it doesn't happen to support your arugement at the moment?

I don't know it, but I do know the coaches see Painter every day and we don't. They felt like we needed to make a move at the QB spot. So clearly I am not the only one who questioned Painter. In fact up till two weeks ago EVERYONE on here other than Smitto was questioning Painter. Any time someone tried to defend Painter by bringingup first and second stringers and the game plan they were told no they were wrong he stinks. Now that Collins is struggling those things now matter and the Colts never gave him a shot. It's a classic case of the Colts once again doing what the fans said they should have done and once it didn't work the way people hoped people are saying the Colts are stupid for not doing something else. I am just saying people can't have it both ways, either Painter was given a fair shake and stinks like everyone but Smitto said up till now or Painter wasn't given a fair shake. Which is it? Now that Kerry Collins is struggling people are trying to change their stance on Painter so they can once again bash the Colts for making a bad decission even though they were saying do the samething the Colts did up till now. I'll listen to Smitto on this because he has defended Painter to the death since day one. Everyone else would have done exactly what the Colts did and were calling for the Colts to do what they did and heck I'll say they wanted it a step beyond this, a lot of them wanted Painter flat out released. Now he's the answer to our prayers? Not buying it.

umm ok but the coaches see link out their at rt and do nth bout it all im saying is how long are u willing to ride collins and see what painter has nth to lose if he looks good some team might give good picks for unproven talent like the cobbs and cassels know what i mean

umm ok but the coaches see link out their at rt and do nth bout it all im saying is how long are u willing to ride collins and see what painter has nth to lose if he looks good some team might give good picks for unproven talent like the cobbs and cassels know what i mean

Okay few things:

Let's go with Link first. First of all Link does struggle very much in pass protection. However, just because that's the case doesn't mean we don't have a better option behind him. Diem is hurt and Ijalana doesn't seem to be ready yet. Again just because Link struggles does not make Ijalana ready. He only did okay vs. teams 2nd stringers and 3rd stringers in the pre-season. Also People just completely over look that Link is a good run blocker. Almost all of our good runs have come to the right side behind him which is why I would guess that Link is in there. The Colts have traded some pass protection to improve the run blocking which again is what everyone was calling for in the off-season.

It doesn't matter how long I am willing to ride Collins. It's not my call. I do expect the Colts to stick with him till they are out of the playoffs if they feel like he gives them the best chance to win. If they don't feel that is the case they will give Painter his chance. If w get to the point where we are out of the playoffs I would look for them to go to Painter IMO because at that point you should see how Painter does and it no longer makes sense to play the guy who is only here for this year.

Based on what I have seen from Painter he makes many of the same mistakes as Collins. He over throws WRs, he crumbles under a blitz and rather than fumble he throws INTs. Again, it's not like they never played Painter and went oh man this guy stinks go get Collins. They have had him on the roster for two years and played him as the starter in two pre-season games this year and he did nothing. Clearly the coaches were uncomfortable with what they saw in him or they wouldn't have signed Collins. He then had good quarter vs. the Packers (he started out very slow in that game) and it came against a team who has given up over 800 yards in pass defense threw two weeks. It could be part of his success was due to the Packers just not being that good on pass defense.

Also, again, my issue is with fans reversing course and acting like Painter is the answer now after they were calling for him to be released for two weeks ago. Go look up those threads. People were saying things like Painter doesn't even belong on a high school team. Now people are completely flipping their opinion on the subject and trying to act like the Colts were stupid for what they did even though they were calling for the Colts to do exactly what they did. If the Colts were wrong about this then so was everyone on this forum other than Smitto.

What does this say? I mean, did you read this first?

Okay few things:

Let's go with Link first. First of all Link does struggle very much in pass protection. However, just because that's the case doesn't mean we don't have a better option behind him. Diem is hurt and Ijalana doesn't seem to be ready yet. Again just because Link struggles does not make Ijalana ready. He only did okay vs. teams 2nd stringers and 3rd stringers in the pre-season. Also People just completely over look that Link is a good run blocker. Almost all of our good runs have come to the right side behind him which is why I would guess that Link is in there. The Colts have traded some pass protection to improve the run blocking which again is what everyone was calling for in the off-season.

It doesn't matter how long I am willing to ride Collins. It's not my call. I do expect the Colts to stick with him till they are out of the playoffs if they feel like he gives them the best chance to win. If they don't feel that is the case they will give Painter his chance. If w get to the point where we are out of the playoffs I would look for them to go to Painter IMO because at that point you should see how Painter does and it no longer makes sense to play the guy who is only here for this year.

Based on what I have seen from Painter he makes many of the same mistakes as Collins. He over throws WRs, he crumbles under a blitz and rather than fumble he throws INTs. Again, it's not like they never played Painter and went oh man this guy stinks go get Collins. They have had him on the roster for two years and played him as the starter in two pre-season games this year and he did nothing. Clearly the coaches were uncomfortable with what they saw in him or they wouldn't have signed Collins. He then had good quarter vs. the Packers (he started out very slow in that game) and it came against a team who has given up over 800 yards in pass defense threw two weeks. It could be part of his success was due to the Packers just not being that good on pass defense.

Also, again, my issue is with fans reversing course and acting like Painter is the answer now after they were calling for him to be released for two weeks ago. Go look up those threads. People were saying things like Painter doesn't even belong on a high school team. Now people are completely flipping their opinion on the subject and trying to act like the Colts were stupid for what they did even though they were calling for the Colts to do exactly what they did. If the Colts were wrong about this then so was everyone on this forum other than Smitto.

i never said painter was the answer but simply saying if it gets to a point we should show case painter like other teams do and get a desperate team to trade with us i 100% agree with you that collins give us a better chance to win and that its only week 2 but im just saying at some point management and that if and only if the team dont improve see what talent we have on the team like carter , joe. l etc...

Funny thing - I'm pretty Sure Hunter the Punter Smith was also our 3rd string QB for a long time. Seems to be a theme for our punters.

Yay but Hunter had played QB in high school. Pat McAfee to my knowledge has not. With that said McAfee has the right attitude for it. I am not sure how good he would be at it but it's not like we can put in some kinda wildcat formation for Addai since we have never practiced it. Let's just hope we never have to find out.

What does this say? I mean, did you read this first?

it says

if so, you know there is a difference between the quality of first and second strings players and also havin a game plan in a game effects preparation

and that

wayne was right about collins bein a step back at the moment until he gets up to speed because we have to dumb the play book down and cant run a fast pased offense. also what kills me is collins dont step up at all in pocket when tackles ride out the ends

Okay few things:

It's the old adage, 'The most popular guy in town is the back up QB'.

We haven't had to endure that for a while with PM in town.

It's the old adage, 'The most popular guy in town is the back up QB'.

We haven't had to endure that for a while with PM in town.

Very true in fact most of the time Manning has been here the back up QB has been the least popular guy in town, including Painter.

Well that's not true fans might have hated Tim Jennings more than Painter or Sorgi...

Why us jenning having success with th he bears?

What do that say ?

Well for starters I was making a joke but the fans really did hate him. To me it says he didn't fit our system and I don't think he fit our system because of the way Coyer coaches the cornerbacks. I think it's time for Coyer to move on but that's just me.

Well for starters I was making a joke but the fans really did hate him. To me it says he didn't fit our system and I don't think he fit our system because of the way Coyer coaches the cornerbacks. I think it's time for Coyer to move on but that's just me.

I agree with u about coyer do cadwell have the heart to fire coyer

Can jim tressel coach def

I agree with u about coyer do cadwell have the heart to fire coyer

Can jim tressel coach def

I don't think Tressel was an offesive coach before he became a headcoach.

Also we'll see what happens with the Colts and Coyer. I fully expect everyone to get a pass because Manning is out. Frankly, I can see that it's one thing to lose with Peyton it's another to lose without him.