Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Free Agency *Frenzy* Roster & Mock Draft V1.0

Defense

LCB - Vontae Davis

RCB - Filled via FA Greg Toler

Depth: Darius Butler, Cassius Vaugn, Josh Gordy, Teddy Williams, Marshay Green

FS - Antoine Bethea

SS - Filled via FA LaRon Landry

Depth: Joe Lefeged (FS), Sergio Brown (SS), Delano Howell (FS), Larry Asante (SS)

LOLB - Filled via FA Erik Walden

LILB - Jerrell Freeman

RILB - Kavell Conner

ROLB - Robert Mathis

Depth: Jerry Hughes (LOLB), Pat Angerer (RILB), Justin Hickman (ROLB), Lawrence Sidbury (ROLB), Mario Harvey (LILB), Shawn Leveseu (RILB), Scott Lutrus (RILB), Monte Simmons (LILB), Quinton Spears (LILB), Jake Killeen (LOLB)

LDE - Cory Redding

NT - Filled via FA Aubrayo Franklin

RDE - Filled via FA Ricky Jean-Francois

Depth: Drake Nevis, Ricardo Mathews, Brandon McKinney (NT), Martin Teveseu (NT), Josh Chapman (NT), Clifton Geathers, Lawrence Guy, Fili Moala, Kellen Heard (NT)

Offense

WR - Reggie Wayne

WR - T.Y. Hilton

Depth: LaVon Brazill, Griff Whalen, Nathan Palmer, Jeremy Kelley, Jabin Sambrano

TE - Coby Fleener

TE/HB - Dwayne Allen

Depth: Weslye Saunders, Dominique Jones

LT - Anthony Castonzo

LG - Filled via FA Donald Thomas

C - Samson Satele

RG - Mike McGlynn

RT - Filled via FA Gosder Cherilus

Depth: A.Q. Shipley ©, Jeff Linkenbach (T), Justin Anderson (G), Robert Griffin (G), Ben Ijalana (G), Joe Reitz (G), Bradley Sowell (T), Lee Ziemba (T)

QB - Andrew Luck

Depth: Filled via FA Matt Hasselbeck, Chandler Harnish

RB - Vick Ballard

Depth: Donald Brown, Delone Carter, Davin Meggett, Alvester Alexander

FB - Robert Hughes

Depth: None

Special Teams

LS - Matt Overton

K - Adam Vinatieri

P - Pat McAfee

Depth: None

As I look at the roster as it is constructed today, I see (though I am not a GM obviously) one glaring need and one position that looks like a need in WR and OG, respectfully. In my opinion, T.Y. Hilton is not an every down, starting outside receiver..........he is a slot receiver!  Therefore, I would list that as my highest priority in FA (Heyward-Bey perhaps) and the draft.  Additionally, we can't see (or couldn't) the progress that Anderson/Griffin made during the season to know if they are 'ready' to push McGlynn for the starting RG position........so I would list OG as a priority in the draft!  Beyond that, BPA seems the most likely avenue to fill out the rest of the roster and add competition.

Having said that, here is my mock draft:

1st Round #24 -  DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson, 6'1' & 214 lbs

3rd Round #86 - Travis Frederick, OG, Wisconsin, 6'4" & 338 lbs

4th Round #121 - Cornelious Washington, OLB, Georgia, 6'4" & 265 lbs

6th Round #192 - Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois, 6'0" & 195 lbs

7th Round #254 - Zach Line, FB, SMU, 6'1" & 232 lbs

Having said that, here is my mock draft:

1st Round #24 -  DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson, 6'1' & 214 lbs

3rd Round #86 - Travis Frederick, OG, Wisconsin, 6'4" & 338 lbs

4th Round #121 - Cornelious Washington, OLB, Georgia, 6'4" & 265 lbs

6th Round #192 - Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois, 6'0" & 195 lbs

7th Round #254 - Zach Line, FB, SMU, 6'1" & 232 lbs

Frederick showed up at the combine at 312 lbs. Lost 26 lbs for the combine. I think he wants to play center in the NFL or he wanted to appeal to zone blocking teams. I liked him for our scheme before, but now I'm not so sure.

Frederick showed up at the combine at 312 lbs. Lost 26 lbs for the combine. I think he wants to play center in the NFL or he wanted to appeal to zone blocking teams. I liked him for our scheme before, but now I'm not so sure.

Why? his talent, intellegence(very high football iq), and technique are still the same. And 312lbs is normal for a guard in this scheme( Decastro 316lbs, Alex Boone 300lbs, Brandon Moore 305lbs, Logan Mankins 310lbs etc.)

Why? his talent, intellegence(very high football iq), and technique are still the same. And 312lbs is normal for a guard in this scheme( Decastro 316lbs, Alex Boone 300lbs, Brandon Moore 305lbs, Logan Mankins 310lbs etc.)

Mainly because I think he wants to remain a center instead of a guard and when a person loses that much weight, they also lose strength. Sure it could be built back up, but he was used to playing at a certain weight and now he won't be unless he packs it back on. I just question his motivation as to why he decided to do it. If his technique and his footwork were good at 338 lbs, then his skill should have spoke for itself and he wouldn't have had to lose the weight. 

Mainly because I think he wants to remain a center instead of a guard and when a person loses that much weight, they also lose strength. Sure it could be built back up, but he was used to playing at a certain weight and now he won't be unless he packs it back on. I just question his motivation as to why he decided to do it. If his technique and his footwork were good at 338 lbs, then his skill should have spoke for itself and he wouldn't had to lose the weight.

Have to be able to get to the second level as a guard/center in the NFL and he already is slow as dirt( I think he ran a 5.6 forty) maybe him and his strength and conditioning staff feels 312lbs is a better playing weight in the NFL with the speed of NFL LBs these days

We were on this when it happened.  I was shocked a grind it out guard would lose that much weight,,,336-312.  It was stated the only way he could play center was to get down to around 310.  He did it.

I wanted him as a 336 guard.  I sure as heck 'hope' he did not lose weight to look good  in shorts and a Tee...aint happening  He did it to play center in the NFL.

You are on a nice roll Franchise!!....good post.  I really enjoyed it.  I am with Balzer n Frederick...concerned he lose the weight to play center. I kind of like the big kid in round 4.....

LT - Anthony Castonzo

C - Samson Satele

RG - Mike McGlynn

Depth: A.Q. Shipley ©, Jeff Linkenbach (T), Justin Anderson (G), Robert Griffin (G), Ben Ijalana (G), Joe Reitz (G), Bradley Sowell (T), Lee Ziemba (T)

I also liked the way you laid out the roster.  We talk and debate every day, yet when the roster is in front of our faces.....the weaknesses 'slap you' in the face...the line is still a mess... :)

You are on a nice roll Franchise!!....good post.  I really enjoyed it.  I am with Balzer n Frederick...concerned he lose the weight to play center. I kind of like the big kid in round 4.....

LT - Anthony Castonzo

C - Samson Satele

RG - Mike McGlynn

I also liked the way you laid out the roster.  We talk and debate every day, yet when the roster is in front of our faces.....the weaknesses 'slap you' in the face...the line is still a mess... :)

LT - Anthony Castonzo

C - Samson Satele

RG - Mike McGlynn

If McGlynn starts I will vomit

I agree........but, until someone is drafted or signed that beats him out, he is the RG.............unfortunately! Thats why I laid the roster out like I did so it was easier to notice deficiencies, though many could see McGlynn was deficient without me laying it out for them! LOL

If McGlynn starts I will vomit

I agree........but, until someone is drafted or signed that beats him out, he is the RG.............unfortunately! Thats why I laid the roster out like I did so it was easier to notice deficiencies, though many could see McGlynn was deficient without me laying it out for them! LOL

I might get blasted for this Franchise, but I personally would rather sign Link, play him at left guard  (unless we get Jones/??? in the draft) where he played his best football....put Donald Thomas on the right with Cherilus, and have McGlynn back up at both guard and center.

Trade Satele or cut the losses.....Shipley made Link a better player at guard by handling his line responsibilities...Satele was busy being blown backwards.  Maybe Satele comes in healthy and does the job.  I think Shipley earned a solid shot to start.