Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alameda Ta'amu

Ok guys, Alameda was high on my wish list for a while. I loved what I read about him initially and at 6'3" and 337 lbs he would give us the big force in the middle of the DL that I've always wanted us to have. I've been watching Washington's games though and I just don't think he's a fit. He has good size for a NT but that's not how he plays. It may sound harsh but frankly he's an overweight UT. His best bet, imo, is to lose about 20 lbs or so and try to get quicker and try to be a great UT. He struggles against 1 on 1 blocks and usually gets blown back when taking on 2 blockers and that's not what you want from your NT.

So guys I'm going to be looking at more closely are:

Kendall Reyes, UConn 6'4" 300 lbs

Kawann Short, Purdue, 6'3" 310 lbs

Josh Chapman, Alabama, 6'1" 310 lbs

Christian Tupou, USC, 6'2" 300 lbs

Jaye Howard, Florida, 6'3" 303 lbs

Anyone have a different opinion on Ta'amu? I'd love to like this guy but I'm just not able to right now but I'd love to hear from someone if they have seen more of him and think differently. Also if anyone has payed attention to the 4 I listed and have opinions I'd love to hear them. I think Chapman might be a long shot. I'm not so convinced now that the colts go DT early. Johnson is playing well so far and there seems to be good quality in Reyes or Short and they're both projected more in the mid round area.

You make an accurate analysis. But there's no room for that on these boards. People around here assume that weight means everything. Remember, when we drafted Nevis, some of the first comments were, "I hope he puts on about 20 pounds and plays NT for us."

It's all about a skill set, not a size. This guy probably isn't what we are looking for.

Josh Chapman is stout against the run and has the ability to push the pocket. He can be had in the second round. The same could be said about Brandon Thompson, DT from Clemson.

With Chapman though is that as an UT or NT? I'm sure I'll have no problems getting to watch Alabama games this year lol so I play to watch as many as I can. I honestly can't say now for sure but it seems like the last time I watched him play he lined up more as an UT though instead of NT...and NT is what we really need, or at the very least someone that can play both.

Oh and so far I've been impressed with Jaye Howard of Florida.

With Chapman though is that as an UT or NT? I'm sure I'll have no problems getting to watch Alabama games this year lol so I play to watch as many as I can. I honestly can't say now for sure but it seems like the last time I watched him play he lined up more as an UT though instead of NT...and NT is what we really need, or at the very least someone that can play both.

Oh and so far I've been impressed with Jaye Howard of Florida.

Based on the scouting report(s) i have read, they listed him as NT but said he had trouble earning the spot.

Kawann Short, 6'3", 310 lbs, from Purdue is the 4-3 rotational NT I would prefer, read his profile here:

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/8/17/2368416/kawann-short-2012-nfl-draft-prospect-notes

Very good strength at point of attack but not disruptive at next level, impressive upper body strength that can hold the lineman, ALL SCREAM 4-3 NT to me.

imagin having 700 pounds in the middle of the dline freeney and mathis would have a field day lol

No they wouldn't. We'd still have the same problem. Two fat guys don't fix the fact that OT's can just let Frathis fly up field, while the backs cut back to where our ends used to be. Misdirection, delayed draws, and backside blocking would still eat our line up.

Big on the ends would be more helpful against the run in this defense. Our DT's have good size. Weight means virtually nothing in a 4-3 if the guy can't move.

No they wouldn't. We'd still have the same problem. Two fat guys don't fix the fact that OT's can just let Frathis fly up field, while the backs cut back to where our ends used to be. Misdirection, delayed draws, and backside blocking would still eat our line up.

Big on the ends would be more helpful against the run in this defense. Our DT's have good size. Weight means virtually nothing in a 4-3 if the guy can't move.

Totally agree. Even though I don't think the DE position is the greatest area of need, if they went with a DE early in the draft like Quinton Coples who has good size at 285ish lbs and can be an every down DE then I would not be the slightest bit upset. Couple that with the opportunity to pick up a DT/NT in the 3rd'ish round and our DL could be much improved.

1st round: Quinton Coples, DE

2nd round: Morris Claiborne, CB (projected currently as a late 1st or early 2nd round pick)

3rd round: Jaye Howard DT, Kawann Short DT or Kendall Reyes DT

These 3 picks could make our defense much better. Drafting Coples and the additional DT would allow us the opportunity to part ways with both Mathis and Hughes if we wanted to and move Eric Foster to a more permanent DE position.

Highly doubt this will happen though unless we make a trade and get an extra pick because somewhere in round 1 or 2 I think they will draft a new QB.

I'd like to add would Polian even be willing to trade down for more picks?

Oh I have no doubt that he would. Since the team actually started becoming successful, we've really never been in a position to trade down before. We've consistently drafted later usually anywhere from the mid 20's to the last pick. Having seen what NE has been able to do the past few years, I have no doubt he would see the value in trading out of the first pick to acquire either 2 first round picks this year or at least 2 next year along with additional picks anywhere from rounds 2-4. I think there will be more than a few teams who would be willing to make an offer that would make Atlanta's trade last year look conservative by comparison to move up for either Luck, Alshon Jeffrey, Quinton Coples, Justin Blackmon or even Brandon Thompson. So even if we're not at #1, if we're in the top 5 I think we could still make an excellent deal and still wind up in the top 10 picks which is more than a win in my book....especially if we can deal Cleveland out of their 2 first rounders :D

You make an accurate analysis. But there's no room for that on these boards. People around here assume that weight means everything. Remember, when we drafted Nevis, some of the first comments were, "I hope he puts on about 20 pounds and plays NT for us."

It's all about a skill set, not a size. This guy probably isn't what we are looking for.

Not true! They need a guy with a combination of size and a good skill set. Freeney has a great skill set but he would be a terrible NT. To say size don't have anything to do with it is ridiculous, of course it does.

Not true! They need a guy with a combination of size and a good skill set. Freeney has a great skill set but he would be a terrible NT. To say size don't have anything to do with it is ridiculous, of course it does.

I agree they need someone with good size and skill set, but the Freeney example was a little far fetched. :P He has a great skill set for a pass rushing DE so no way he'd get moved to NT. Eric Foster would be, imo, a much better example. :)

However, we don't need a guy who is simply big to put in a position where he shouldn't be playing, which is what my point was about Ta'amu. Washington may line him up as a NT but he doesn't play like one. Even though he's 337 lbs, we would be much better off with a true NT in the 305-315 lb range than putting an oversized UT at NT.

I agree they need someone with good size and skill set, but the Freeney example was a little far fetched. :P He has a great skill set for a pass rushing DE so no way he'd get moved to NT. Eric Foster would be, imo, a much better example. :)

However, we don't need a guy who is simply big to put in a position where he shouldn't be playing, which is what my point was about Ta'amu. Washington may line him up as a NT but he doesn't play like one. Even though he's 337 lbs, we would be much better off with a true NT in the 305-315 lb range than putting an oversized UT at NT.

Yeah, I was exaggerating, but Foster IMO isn't good at anything thats why I used Freeney. I have just seen the "size don't mean anything" arguement used here many times and it is simply not true.

Yeah, I was exaggerating, but Foster IMO isn't good at anything thats why I used Freeney. I have just seen the "size don't mean anything" arguement used here many times and it is simply not true.

Oh believe me I fully agree. No matter how talented Raheem Brock and Montae Reagor (probably better examples than Freeney but then again there's no guarantee that people would remember them playing for us) were they were still going to be a liability against the run because of how small they were. I fully agree that Foster has no business playing DT..he's even smaller than Reagor and Brock were. I think he could be ok as depth at DE though if we part ways with Brayton, Anderson, Hughes or Mathis at the end of the year. I think at least Anderson or Brayton will be re-signed (preference goes to Anderson) but both potentially could be. My concern with Mathis is he may want too much money. He's essentially been reduced, and rightfully so, to a situational pass rusher so he definitely should not be paid the same amount as a top-level every down DE. If he doesn't understand that and still wants full-time starter money then I would prefer we let him go. Hughes is still a question mark, but no matter what happens, if we keep Mathis then we have no more need for Hughes considering the reduced roles of Freeney and Mathis.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we keep Freeney and Mathis, and Jerry Hughes started to flash his potential last night and keep developing him. I think corner and DT are our biggest needs, we could even get a SS to help back there in coverage and be a force in the box as well.

Thanks,

haseo15

Oh believe me I fully agree. No matter how talented Raheem Brock and Montae Reagor (probably better examples than Freeney but then again there's no guarantee that people would remember them playing for us) were they were still going to be a liability against the run because of how small they were. I fully agree that Foster has no business playing DT..he's even smaller than Reagor and Brock were. I think he could be ok as depth at DE though if we part ways with Brayton, Anderson, Hughes or Mathis at the end of the year. I think at least Anderson or Brayton will be re-signed (preference goes to Anderson) but both potentially could be. My concern with Mathis is he may want too much money. He's essentially been reduced, and rightfully so, to a situational pass rusher so he definitely should not be paid the same amount as a top-level every down DE. If he doesn't understand that and still wants full-time starter money then I would prefer we let him go. Hughes is still a question mark, but no matter what happens, if we keep Mathis then we have no more need for Hughes considering the reduced roles of Freeney and Mathis.

You know what, that is the same decision that Mike McCarthy had to deal with. He fired six coaches including Bob Sanders after 2008, his 4-3 D coach, under which Aaron Kampman became a stud in his 4-3. They were not getting enough pressure with his 4-3 and were not closing games out in 2008. He then went to the 3-4 in 2009, sifted through growing pains, and in 2010 with better QB play and a year under the system, turned it around with Dom Capers as his DC. They released Aaron Kampman because he did not fit and they drafted real well. Two years is what it took.

3-4 D:

NTs and DEs: we can mix it up like Wade Philips' system does. Draft that 3-4 NT in the middle, use Drake Nevis and/or AJ as the Jay Ratliff kind of NT in the middle rotated along with the drafted NT in the middle. Use Moala, Anderson and Brayton as 3-4 DEs that play containment, Moala played that for USC for about 2 years at least.

LBs: Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, and Wheeler can be our LBs with Hughes and Wheeler on the outside??? Freeney can line up vs the guards on the inside where he will have an athletic advantage, will be like the stunts Coyer uses, but without the stunts, you know what I mean :). You could even move Freeney around like you move Terrell Suggs with the Ravens as far as where he lines up, who is a DE/LB kind. Mathis might be the odd man out and may need to be traded (like the Packers released Kampman) and we go after a couple of good 3-4 LBs in the draft and develop them.

CBs and safety: We need more man coverage CBs, goes without saying, and I feel Lefeged will be fine, with more years under his belt as the safety opposite Bethea.

Just some food for thought???

I just don't see the colts switching to a 3-4 any time soon it would take two to three years before they would even have the complete personal for it, and freeney and Mathis would be undersized to play a LB.

Thanks,

haseo15

The only reason they may do it is Peyton is not going to play again and they can afford the rebuilding time. So, I agree.

Well, he will be back next year though maybe after peyton is in 2-4 years later maybe. I just want better coaching Tampa ran that same delayed route to the RB every play and the colts just sat there i wish we had someone who was aggressive blitzing and could make better adjustments.

Thanks,

haseo15