Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent CB Captain Munnerlyn

http://www.nfl.com/player/captainmunnerlyn/80668/profile

5'8" 190 lbs 24 years old currently playing slot for the Panthers who just released Chris Gamble.

7th round pick in the 09 Draft. Plays slot and returns kickoffs. He has started 34 games in four years in Charlotte, including 25 the past two seasons.

(A bone for the Cornerbackites)

So...he still isn't as good as you think he is. I know some Panthers fans and they all say they can care less if he leaves in FA.

A. You don't know a single Panthers fan.

B. The people in Carolina who matter: The Panthers Organization, let the Veteran Gamble walk in Free Agency because they're promoting the kid.

C. Thanks for showing up and not really adding anything.

seems he is definitely worth a look by anyone who needs a CB

With one caveat though...When he played the 2. He did not perform as well. Kind of Butler'ish in that when they moved him to the slot, he really began to take guys' lunch money. He may or may not be better suited as the 3rd CB. But as you say...definitely worth a look. :)

He played 900+ snaps in 2012 and gave up.............................1 touchdown.

thats a heck of a stat right there.  guys like this go under the radar and can be a great low risk signing....  If we sign Powers and Butler and then add a guy like this, we will have some solid (not the best in the league but very good) CBs and won't break the bank to get him.

thats a heck of a stat right there.  guys like this go under the radar and can be a great low risk signing....  If we sign Powers and Butler and then add a guy like this, we will have some solid (not the best in the league but very good) CBs and won't break the bank to get him.

I know right!? That stat was like whoa. If we were to sign this kid though, Butler becomes very expendable because IMO you'd sign him to cover the slot. I still want either Sean Smith or Nnamdi Asomugha at the 2. ;)

I know right!? That stat was like whoa. If we were to sign this kid though, Butler becomes very expendable because IMO you'd sign this guy to cover the slot. I still want either Sean Smith or Nnamdi Asomugha at the 2. ;)

I got a feeling Cary Williams will be our #2 but I would not complain 1 bit about signing Smith or Asomugha instead

I got a feeling Cary Williams will be our #2 but I would not complain 1 bit about signing Smith or Asomugha instead

Could well be but he was tendered with a 2nd. And we do not have one. If my understanding of the rules is correct (according to Bill Polian), you have to have that pick in this upcoming draft in order to get him, so I am thinking we'd have to make a trade to land Williams.

From PFT:

Browns reportedly interested in Captain Munnerlyn

Posted by Josh Alper on March 11, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT

AP

Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn said recently that he anticipated returning to the Panthers if the team released Chris Gamble, which Carolina did late last week.

Munnerlyn hasn’t signed a contract with the Panthers yet, though, and it looks like they’ll have plenty of competition for his services. Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal reports that the Browns have been in contact with Munnerlyn’s agent since the 87-hour negotiating window opened on Saturday. The Browns are looking for both a starter opposite Joe Haden as well as an upgrade in the slot when they go to a nickel, a role that Munnerlyn has played in Carolina.

That report comes on the heels of one from Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun that had four teams making inquiries about Munnerlyn, who has also returned punts during his four years with the Panthers. Munnerlyn’s made 25 starts over the last two years, picking off two passes and returning both of them for touchdowns.

That’s been enough to catch eyes around the league and the Panthers would be left to seriously scramble for help on the corners if Munnerlyn leaves town. With Gamble gone, the Panthers have Josh Norman and Josh Thomas at the top of a very thin cornerback depth chart. Given that state of affairs, it is easy to understand why the Panthers are looking to tackle Jordan Gross for help adding space under the salary cap.

A. You don't know a single Panthers fan.

B. The people in Carolina who matter: The Panthers Organization, let the Veteran Gamble walk in Free Agency because they're promoting the kid.

C. Thanks for showing up and not really adding anything.

A. You sound really stupid! I know plenty of Panthers fans, and have seen many Panthers games. (way more than you)

B.They didn't let Gamble walk so they can promote him..promote him to what?? his too small for the outside so he is stuck at nickel. So, again you sound dumb. Finally, they cut Gamble a while a go if they wanted to promote him why haven't they signed him yet???? You would think for a guy about to get a promtion that he would have got a deal locked up by now..they must not be trying as hard as you think genious.

C. Next time before you start a thread try to actually watch him play instead of running to nfl.com and looking up some stats and going crazy, b/c right now thats all it looks like you do.

Could well be but he was tendered with a 2nd. And we do not have one. If my understanding of the rules is correct (according to Bill Polian), you have to have that pick in this upcoming draft in order to get him, so I am thinking we'd have to make a trade to land Williams.

wasn't that last year?  i think Cary Williams is a UFA.

Whether you like him or not (Personally I'm indifferent because I've never heard of him), he is at the very least worth looking at. I would be concerned if our front office weren't evaluating every possible player and leaving no stone unturned. His individual statistics are intriguing, but they are relative. I think that having our talent evaluators look at actual tape could lead to a more definitive conclusion, for instance how fluid is he with opening his hips, how well does he break on the ball, etc. I believe that with an improved passrush and hopefully an upgrade at safety, our corners could look quite formidable (with FA acquisitions of course). It's no surprise our corners looked like garbage when they are being asked to cover for 7 seconds... Now I digress. But back to the debate at hand, yes he is worth a look. 

You know what, if that is true then you may be right. I'd think a former Pagano guy would have the inside track!

Contingent upon the price, I very much believe Cary Williams will be rocking the 'shoe next year. Some people are not thrilled about it; however, my personal opinion is that he will be solid as a number 2 in Pag's D. 

I'm sorry for shifting the focus of the thread to Cary Williams, but now that I'm on the topic I think that a couple things are worth mentioning. First of all, Pagano absolutely LOVES Williams, which in and of itself sells me. On top of that, Williams was supposed to be the number 2 corner on the Ravens. Thanks to the injury sustained by Lardarius Webb, Williams was elevated to number 1 forcing him to cover the oppositions number 1 WR. Despite this adversity, Williams co-led the Ravens with 4 picks and led the entire team with 17 passes defended (This on a team that still has Ed Reed and Polard). Now keep in mind that he would be OUR number 2 corner, which means he wouldn't be tasked with covering number 1 WR's again. I would certainly take those numbers over anything we saw, let alone as a supplement to Vontae as a number 2. He also shouldn't be that expensive, which would allow us the flexibility to extend Vontae when the front office sees fit. Personally, I would love to see Vontae and Cary terrorize opposing wideouts next year and beyond.