Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A QB Draft Scamper could really help us out

I am happy Alex Smith is getting a new lease of life in KC because I like him, but on the other hand, it means there is one less QB hungry team picking before us.

We obviously hold no value in QB's in this draft, so the more that go before we pick, the more players that we are interested in will be available. Right now, most mocks predict only Geno Smith to be taken ahead of #24, although some have Matt Barkley in there too. As the draft approaches some teams could feel pressured into grabbing a signal-caller early as has happened in so many drafts before. Oakland, Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo, NYJ should all be QG-hungry, maybe even Tennessee and Minnesota as well.

Hopefully teams start to panic, because if four or five QBs are taken before we pick, then we will have some great options at #24.

Yeah....a QB frenzy would help us for sure, but unfortunately, I think we may see teams like the Patriots and the Eagles with somewhat groomed back-up or miscast QBs....such as Nick Foles and Ryan Mallett...pull off trades with some of the have-nots.

KC trading for Alex Smith tells us all we need to know about the draft day value of this QB class and we'll probably have to wait for free agency and trade movement to completely sort out the QB picture for these other teams.

Hopefully....the Raiders have one more dopey draft day move in them and they take Geno Smith at #3....but I'm not banking on it.

And Arizona at #7....with Bruce Arians' fondness for down field passing...would be far better off by trading their 2nd rounder for Foles than they would by drafting Geno Smith or Matt Barkley in the Top 10. Because IMO....neither one of them are worth a Top 10 pick with the other talent available and given Arizona's putrid offensive line.

Buffalo at #8...hopefully...will start the ball rolling with either Smith, Barkley or some other QB prospect. But after the Bills....I doubt we'll see another team taking a QB before our #24 spot....unless the Jets are so fed up with Sanchez that they do something dumb at #9 or Jerry Jones decides its time to pick Romo's successor at #18.

We may actually have to bank on the 3 round value in this draft and hope that our #24 spot becomes desirable for a lousy team to perhaps move up to for Smith or Barkley.

The #24 spot is in the range where we've seen that happen in the past....and assuming no "steals" remain on the board....I wouldn't be all that disappointed if we traded down to the top of the 2nd round and picked up an extra 3rd rounder.

Yeah....a QB frenzy would help us for sure, but unfortunately, I think we may see teams like the Patriots and the Eagles with somewhat groomed back-up or miscast QBs....such as Nick Foles and Ryan Mallett...pull off trades with some of the have-nots.

KC trading for Alex Smith tells us all we need to know about the draft day value of this QB class and we'll probably have to wait for free agency and trade movement to completely sort out the QB picture for these other teams.

Hopefully....the Raiders have one more dopey draft day move in them and they take Geno Smith at #3....but I'm not banking on it.

And Arizona at #7....with Bruce Arians' fondness for down field passing...would be far better off by trading their 2nd rounder for Foles than they would by drafting Geno Smith or Matt Barkley in the Top 10. Because IMO....neither one of them are worth a Top 10 pick with the other talent available and given Arizona's putrid offensive line.

Buffalo at #8...hopefully...will start the ball rolling with either Smith, Barkley or some other QB prospect. But after the Bills....I doubt we'll see another team taking a QB before our #24 spot....unless the Jets are so fed up with Sanchez that they do something dumb at #9 or Jerry Jones decides its time to pick Romo's successor at #18.

We may actually have to bank on the 3 round value in this draft and hope that our #24 spot becomes desirable for a lousy team to perhaps move up to for Smith or Barkley.

The #24 spot is in the range where we've seen that happen in the past....and assuming no "steals" remain on the board....I wouldn't be all that disappointed if we traded down to the top of the 2nd round and picked up an extra 3rd rounder.

Hmm, that could be very interesting.  I honestly thought that Foles would wind up traded to the Chiefs but the Eagles didn't seem willing to part with Foles, so I'm not sure they'd be willing to deal him to Arizona either.  I kinda hope they do.  I'm not sure Philly is the right fit for Foles, especially with Chip Kelly there now.  Admittedly, I don't know much about him but I do know what kind of offense he ran at Oregon.  Now sure there's every possibility he is capable of adapting to more of a pocket passing style of QB but bringing in Dennis Dixon and re-signing Vick makes me weary about Foles' chances there.  I really do hope they trade him and Arizona would be a very interesting option.  

Good point.  I feel Arians alternative to Foles in a trade is to see if Mike Glennon slips to round two, where Bruce will certainly grab him.  I don't think Geno Smith or Matt Barkley fit Arians scheme like a Foles or Glennon would.  Either both would be a project and worth a second round gambit. And we know Bruce loves QB projects.

Can someone explain to me why the Raiders would be out to get a QB.  They've got some more years with Palmer and he has hardly been the problem in Oakland.

There is no reason they would....other than another screwball draft day decision on their part.

With Al Davis gone...you would think something like that won't happen anymore. They had no picks until round 3 last year so we'll find out how they do at the #3 overall spot this time....they need help in a bunch of places.