Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gil Brandt Rating Of QB's Under 30

dw49

Can't argue with those rankings

Then you two dudes and myself have settled this once and forever. We will no longer entertain anymore > than Andrew Luck threads for those QB's listed below him on Brandt's chart.

I'm so glad we have settled this.

Thanks guys.

He didn't write about the future of these players, but rather how he would rank them now. Would you really place them higher in the here and now?

Nope...Ryan and Flacco are the ones who started this whole successful rookie QB thing...the younger guys have a lot to catch up on.

I don't think either Flacco or Ryan should be that high. The younger guys especially Luck will have better careers.

Flacco has been to the playoffs every year and won at least one game each time - this year hes in the SB ... not sure how he should be listed lower? 

I think his B & C list could all be in one group!  Id much rather have several of those in the C group over a few of those in the B.    Dalton, Stafford - maybe even Bradford over Newton depending on comeback maybe even RG3!

He should rank Cam Newton in group C since with Matt Stafford.

Cam Newton finished the year really well. He got out of his slump about halfway through the season, he didn't have the best supporting cast either. I think Cam Newton will really shine this next year, they need someone to support Steve Smith too though. I understand the reasons for both rankings, but I would put him in B for the time being. It'd be hard for me to say Russell Wilson or RG3 are a whole grade better than Cam.

If these are individual rankings.......I would, rank Matthew Stafford No. 4.overall

10,000 yards passing and 61 TDs in the last 2 seasons..

I dont blame him for the Lions loses and certainly not their 'problems'..we all know they have other issues...

Kap, RG3 and Joe Flacco are not better than Matthew Stafford..

I don't think either Flacco or Ryan should be that high. The younger guys especially Luck will have better careers.

I think Ryan is significantly better than Joe Flacco....

Flacco was not great against Indy and he was not great against Denver...

Baltimore's wins are largely due to their defense

This isnt a crucial criticism..but why does everybody start their analysis of Luck by saying 'he's a better athlete than you think!" or "He's a better athlete than some give him credit for"

Who is 'you" or 'some' ?

I've never heard anyone say Andrew Luck isnt athletic. He makes offense (and unfortunately defensive) plays from sideline to sideline..

Its somewhat of a 'straw man' to say that some dont consider him very athletic. I think everyone who has seen him does.

That's probably the the one change I would make, but he's really on the fence between the two groups, so I really don't have a problem with it.

Cam Newton finished the year really well. He got out of his slump about halfway through the season, he didn't have the best supporting cast either. I think Cam Newton will really shine this next year, they need someone to support Steve Smith too though. I understand the reasons for both rankings, but I would put him in B for the time being. It'd be hard for me to say Russell Wilson or RG3 are a whole grade better than Cam.

In the sense of making smart football decisions and winning games when it matters, Cam is far behind those in Group A and B. Of course he is talented, but we can say Matt Stafford is at least equally talented and he even made the playoff last yr.

This isnt a crucial criticism..but why does everybody start their analysis of Luck by saying 'he's a better athlete than you think!" or "He's a better athlete than some give him credit for"

Who is 'you" or 'some' ?

I've never heard anyone say Andrew Luck isnt athletic. He makes offense (and unfortunately defensive) plays from sideline to sideline..

Its somewhat of a 'straw man' to say that some dont consider him very athletic. I think everyone who has seen him does.

Most people think Luck is less athletic than RGIII since they were compared head-to-head, but indeed he might be a little less quick and illusive but he is way stronger and much more durable.

And talking about speed and other specs. on paper he is actually very comparable to Cam Newton.

Who is 'you" or 'some' ?

It just the same thing analysts regurgitate about certain players. It's in the same vain as, "Jimmy Graham played Basketball", and "Kaepernick was drafted by the MLB to play pitcher." It's just one of those things they act like people don't already know even though we have heard it 200 different times.

Good observation by all and I give special thanks to Brandt for ending once and for all all the RG3 or R. Wilson > then Luck nonsense. Nice to have all that behind us and now we can spend all our time talking about how the Cots get better in 2013.

Has the SF QB proven he belongs anywhere on this list yet??

Yea... I think so. The other 1st year QB's are on the list . Kap. has played a few less games but I think his body of work is similar enough to include him. Not sure if this was after both playoff wins or not . If so , then he should no doubt be included.