Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Got His New Deal Without Having To Pass A Physical , Video With Peter King As Well

bayone

Pro football talk - Mike Florio

Per a league source, that new five-year, $90 million contract was given to Manning without the quarterback having to pass a physical.

article discusses in multiple paragraphs what peyton will be payed this year and even next if cant play and iff colts would of signed him only to a franchise contract if new all

( PERSONALLY _ for all he has done he deserved it , this was unexpected , its not like peyton never said he was unhappy with his progress )

Reason they signed him was

Peter King of NBC and Sports Illustrated explained during the debut of NBC SportsTalk that the Colts had no concerns about the most recent surgery at the time it was conducted in May 2011, and that team Vice Chairman Bill Polian said on the day of the prior procedure that it would not impact the contract talks.

Here’s Peter talking about the Manning surgery, rehab, and contract. VIDEO DISCUSION see link

My link

I think the colts need to remember that football is a business, not some type of family thing... they probably didnt make him take it cause he was gonna fail it thats why. if thats one of the reasons then that begs the question why didnt they bring in good vet earlier just to make sure.

Let's remember Peyton was already out without a neck injury at the time, did anyone ever stop and think maybe that's part of why Peyton didn't have to take a physical? If he couldn't get cleared to pratice at the time there is a very real chance he couldn't have passed a physical at the time from the last surgery.

People really need to stop all the talk about about Peyton's contract. What did you want the Colts not to sign Peyton long term? If we didn't guys like Joseph Addai, Melvin Bullit, Anderson, Brayton, Sims, and now the biggie Collins wouldn't be here and we would have had to make more cuts (per Irsay) to make sure we were under the cap. We were able to sign all of them because Peyton signed a long term deal and lowered his cap hit for the season. We would also be looking at Manning being a free agent at the end of the year along with Wayne, Mathis, Garcon, Saturday, Diem, and Gonzo. Anyone really want to sign up for that?

This is just another case of fans having 20/20 vision. Everyone and I mean everyone was saying get the deal done. Not one person was saying well maybe we should hold off on this and see if Manning can come back from his injury. We all would have done the samething the Colts did in regards to Manning's deal based on what we knew at the time. Although I have a feeling if this turns into a worst case scenario and Manning's career is over everyone is going to say they had that view point, just like all the people who said they were the one person who was against the Jerry Hughes draft pick when everyone else was for it on draft night or just like how you can't find one person in this town who said they wanted Ryan Leaf over Manning to start with even though it was about 50/50 at the time.

Let's remember Peyton was already out without a neck injury at the time, did anyone ever stop and think maybe that's part of why Peyton didn't have to take a physical? If he couldn't get cleared to pratice at the time there is a very real chance he couldn't have passed a physical at the time from the last surgery.

People really need to stop all the talk about about Peyton's contract. What did you want the Colts not to sign Peyton long term? If we didn't guys like Joseph Addai, Melvin Bullit, Anderson, Brayton, Sims, and now the biggie Collins wouldn't be here and we would have had to make more cuts (per Irsay) to make sure we were under the cap. We were able to sign all of them because Peyton signed a long term deal and lowered his cap hit for the season. We would also be looking at Manning being a free agent at the end of the year along with Wayne, Mathis, Garcon, Saturday, Diem, and Gonzo. Anyone really want to sign up for that?

This is just another case of fans having 20/20 vision. Everyone and I mean everyone was saying get the deal done. Not one person was saying well maybe we should hold off on this and see if Manning can come back from his injury. We all would have done the samething the Colts did in regards to Manning's deal based on what we knew at the time. Although I have a feeling if this turns into a worst case scenario and Manning's career is over everyone is going to say they had that view point, just like all the people who said they were the one person who was against the Jerry Hughes draft pick when everyone else was for it on draft night or just like how you can't find one person in this town who said they wanted Ryan Leaf over Manning to start with even though it was about 50/50 at the time.

I agree with u , was h just relaying the article as noted

( PERSONALLY _ for all he has done he deserved it , this was unexpected , its not like peyton never said he was unhappy with his progress )

also

he always stated as did Archie that rehab wasnt going well, Colts new that

In fact Peyton was chewed out and called a crybaby by stupid media for saying it so Colts Knew enough , Colts expected him back for training camp so they new again were problems, I bet they didnt have a physical as new he wouldnt pass

The other issue I have with Florio's piece is his statement that had the Colts been able to foresee what was about to happen they would've certainly lived with Manning signing the one-year franchise tender and waited to pen him to a long-term deal. Huh? That move would've cost an extra $7 million against the cap and likely meant no Addai, Anderson, Sims AND COLLINS on this team. Just more bird-cage lining by Florio.

Based on your speculation no one really knows if the colts knew or not, but it doesnt matter now. I was reading a post here and i belive someone said that if a player is not cleared to play or retires you will not have to pay them that money on the contract... if that is true the colts are lucky. Peyton deserved that contract but thats if he's healthy if not then no... No organization should be obligated to pay any player for what they have done, its what they can do in the future.

ESPN is reporting that the contract was written that if they Colts cut Manning in February (god forbid)they are not responsible for any more money going foward.

Obviously, that was put it with both Peyton's and Irsay's knowlegde that if the neck is a career ender, it's not going to handicap the team going forward.

yes the article noted if the colts cut or trade him after this season then the rest of the money for next year they are not liable for, the article just thinks that it is unimaginable for the colts to cut him or trade him however

The article put it this way

The next question, if Manning can’t play in 2011, becomes whether the Colts would pay him a $28 million option bonus, which is due early in the next league year. The Colts can avoid the payment only by cutting or trading Manning, and it would be shocking — actually, beyond shocking — if the team would sever ties with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

Let's remember Peyton was already out without a neck injury at the time, did anyone ever stop and think maybe that's part of why Peyton didn't have to take a physical?

BINGO

Was mentioned already in this thread and I agree, they probably new he'd fail, Colts had enough info at time of signing in my opinion to make an informed choice on his contract

Im just trying to get this straight, he didn't have to pass a physical this year, that's fine, I understand the circumstances. Does he have to pass a physical next year and so on?

at some point in order to be allowed to play, but doesnt have to pass one for colts to choose to keep him I think, not really sure

I agree with u , was h just relaying the article as noted

also

he always stated as did Archie that rehab wasnt going well, Colts new that

In fact Peyton was chewed out and called a crybaby by stupid media for saying it so Colts Knew enough , Colts expected him back for training camp so they new again were problems, I bet they didnt have a physical as new he wouldnt pass

Yeah I know Bayone no issue with you I know you were just passing on news.

Based on your speculation no one really knows if the colts knew or not, but it doesnt matter now. I was reading a post here and i belive someone said that if a player is not cleared to play or retires you will not have to pay them that money on the contract... if that is true the colts are lucky. Peyton deserved that contract but thats if he's healthy if not then no... No organization should be obligated to pay any player for what they have done, its what they can do in the future.

Other than the part about the physical most of mine isn't speculation. The stuff about the players we were able to keep becuase of Manning signing a long term deal is true. They were all getting ready to walk till Manning signed a long term deal and took less. Also, the report about having to cut players to get Manning's deal under the franchise tag in was true as well. It came from Irsay. It makes sense because Peyton had not signed his tender yet so he didn't count against the cap yet. Once he signed it he would have and the Colts would have had to release players to get back under the cap. I posted mine because of the number of people on this board in general (beyond this thread) complaining about us resigning Peyton at all based on this injury.

Other than the part about the physical most of mine isn't speculation. The stuff about the players we were able to keep becuase of Manning signing a long term deal is true. They were all getting ready to walk till Manning signed a long term deal and took less. Also, the report about having to cut players to get Manning's deal under the franchise tag in was true as well. It came from Irsay. It makes sense because Peyton had not signed his tender yet so he didn't count against the cap yet. Once he signed it he would have and the Colts would have had to release players to get back under the cap. I posted mine because of the number of people on this board in general (beyond this thread) complaining about us resigning Peyton at all based on this injury.

agree with assesment

Im just trying to get this straight, he didn't have to pass a physical this year, that's fine, I understand the circumstances. Does he have to pass a physical next year and so on?

I think he does. If I remember right, the Colts cut Lilja after he failed a physical, but his contract wasn't over. I could be completely wrong though. Sometimes a player gets cut if they fail the physical; sometimes teams keep them and let them stay with the team, but they can't practice or play until they pass the physical (like Haynesworth in Washington)