Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we planning on bring anyone back from IR?

SilentHill

Seth Olsen...seems like there could have been somebody more important than him to bring back.

You have to designate the player you will bring back. So I think teams have to take into account what the injury is as well as the players talent level. For sure the Colts must have known that having the option of bringing Olsen back was crappy , but it must have been the best of the available options. The rule calls for the player to be out for 6 weeks before he can return to practice and 8 weeks before he can play in a game. So for example Powers could not be brought back as the 8 week waiting period would end his season anyway.

You have to designate the player you will bring back. So I think teams have to take into account what the injury is as well as the players talent level. For sure the Colts must have known that having the option of bringing Olsen back was crappy , but it must have been the best of the available options. The rule calls for the player to be out for 6 weeks before he can return to practice and 8 weeks before he can play in a game. So for example Powers could not be brought back as the 8 week waiting period would end his season anyway.

That makes more sense now. Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't aware of the 8 week waiting period to return to play.

That makes more sense now. Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't aware of the 8 week waiting period to return to play.

Yea , to take it a step further , here is a better look at where the Cots stood at the time they designated Olsen as their player that could return from their IR.

Colts LG Seth Olsen (knee) has returned to practice.

Olsen was placed on injured reserve with a designation to return on October 8. That means the earliest he can return to game action is Week 14. The journeyman started the first three games of the year and then went down in Week 5 against the Packers. Nov 28 - 10:27

So the Colts were pretty much "running out of time " when they used the spot on Olsen. Have no idea why printing in red now.