Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade deadline

If they make the playoffs this year it will be largely because their schedule is ridiculously easy. How much more of their future do you want to sacrifice just to improve their chances of a brief playoff appearance in a rebuilding year? And then what happens next year with a lower draft position and a harder schedule? Patience is a virtue, and baby steps are much healthier in the long term than over-reaching now.

Shame on you guys. First of all i watched a 9-7 underdog team rise to the challenge and win a championship last year. Granted on any given sunday they had the ability to to be the best team in the game. They grinded out and gave it all nothing more nothing less. I saw the same grit and determination last week in indy. Ask any active player or coach if they would trade a single playoff game for the number one pick or easiest scheduale next year. Secondly NO pick in the draft is a sure thing and you can find hall of famers in any round. I say sky is the limit and i hope grigson aims for the stars. Imagine if we make it and pagano took the field i dont care what stadium we play or end result it would be a war! This would do more for such a young team than to hope for things to be layd at thier feet.

Shame on you guys. First of all i watched a 9-7 underdog team rise to the challenge and win a championship last year. Granted on any given sunday they had the ability to to be the best team in the game. They grinded out and gave it all nothing more nothing less. I saw the same grit and determination last week in indy. Ask any active player or coach if they would trade a single playoff game for the number one pick or easiest scheduale next year. Secondly NO pick in the draft is a sure thing and you can find hall of famers in any round. I say sky is the limit and i hope grigson aims for the stars. Imagine if we make it and pagano took the field i dont care what stadium we play or end result it would be a war! This would do more for such a young team than to hope for things to be layd at thier feet.

would people stop with the whole "the giants were 9-7" thing. the giants may be a little jekyll and hydish, which had something to do with injuries, but they are a very talented team.....much more talented than the colts at this point. teams don't become super bowl contenders overnight

would people stop with the whole "the giants were 9-7" thing. the giants may be a little jekyll and hydish, which had something to do with injuries, but they are a very talented team.....much more talented than the colts at this point. teams don't become super bowl contenders overnight

Exactly, they also had the experience of winning it all a few years earlier. Not exactly a miracle underdog story.

Miami Dolphins season, 2008 (2007, 1–15 record; 2008, 11–5 record)

Indianapolis Colts, 1999 (1998, 3–13 record; 1999, 13–3 record)

Pittsburgh Steelers, 2004 (2003, 5–11 record; 2004, 15–1 record)

Largest single-season improvement in wins, including postseason, 12

St. Louis Rams, (1998, 4–12 record; 1999, 16–3 record ((3–0 postseason))

Worst single-season turnaround in wins, 10.

Houston Oilers, (1993, 12–4 record; 1994, 2–14 record)

Team with the lowest winning percentage the previous season to reach to the NFC Championship Game

New Orleans Saints, 2006: .188 winning percentage (3–13) in 2005

Team with the lowest winning percentage the previous season to reach to the AFC Championship Game

Cincinnati Bengals, 1988: .267 winning percentage (4–11) in 1987

Team with the lowest winning percentage the previous season to reach the Super Bowl

St. Louis Rams, 1999, .250 winning percentage (4–12) in 1998

They can over a single season

Miami Dolphins season, 2008 (2007, 1–15 record; 2008, 11–5 record)

Indianapolis Colts, 1999 (1998, 3–13 record; 1999, 13–3 record)

Pittsburgh Steelers, 2004 (2003, 5–11 record; 2004, 15–1 record)

Largest single-season improvement in wins, including postseason, 12

St. Louis Rams, (1998, 4–12 record; 1999, 16–3 record ((3–0 postseason))

Worst single-season turnaround in wins, 10.

Houston Oilers, (1993, 12–4 record; 1994, 2–14 record)

Team with the lowest winning percentage the previous season to reach to the NFC Championship Game

New Orleans Saints, 2006: .188 winning percentage (3–13) in 2005

Team with the lowest winning percentage the previous season to reach to the AFC Championship Game

Cincinnati Bengals, 1988: .267 winning percentage (4–11) in 1987

Team with the lowest winning percentage the previous season to reach the Super Bowl

St. Louis Rams, 1999, .250 winning percentage (4–12) in 1998

They can over a single season

that's real nice and all, but i doubt it tells the whole story. just looking at the very first example, the dolphins, that one year was a blip on the screen...they have been mediocre ever since.

It's a suckers market.

Any team willing to give up what is perceived as a decent player for a decent pick, is gladly giving up that player. They're hoping the team that's buying is willing to pay full price.

If you're a quality team looking for one final missing piece, that's one thing.

But if you're a team like the Colts who have lots and lots of needs up and down the roster, then one more player doesn't make the difference. And you've overpaid to get him.

It's a suckers market.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

This isn

It's a suckers market.

Any team willing to give up what is perceived as a decent player for a decent pick, is gladly giving up that player. They're hoping the team that's buying is willing to pay full price.

If you're a quality team looking for one final missing piece, that's one thing.

But if you're a team like the Colts who have lots and lots of needs up and down the roster, then one more player doesn't make the difference. And you've overpaid to get him.

It's a suckers market.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

There were rumors of Freeney and Reggie on the market last season :hmm:

This isn

There were rumors of Freeney and Reggie on the market last season :hmm:

Well....

Apologies, as I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make...

That said, if I understand you correctly we were offering those two.... hoping to entice a team to give up a pick for them.

But the poster who started this is now encouraging the Colts to give up something of value -- likely a pick -- in order to get one more player who the poster hopes will help us make the playoffs.

I don't think it's in the team's long term best interest....

Just my opinion, but there it is.... for what little it may be worth...

I don't think we make another big name acquisition this year.

I agree. Just about the only scenario I could see is if the Colts win all their games going into week 8 and look like they'll have have a mid to late 1st round pick, AND if, for example, the Dolphins anticipate they won't be able to re-sign a guy like Jake Long then I could maybe see the Colts sending their first round pick for Jake Long and renegotiating him to a long-term contract. In other words, bring in a guy who could still be a solid contributor for the next 8-10 years and be a part of the re-loading/rebuilding process. I don't see the colts giving away anything of value for an older player just to try to help with a playoff run. I'd say this type of scenario is highly unlikely but if the Dolphins don't think they'll have the cap space to re-sign Long or think he may not be interested in re-signing, then they may be willing to deal him in order to get some type of compensation for him. I wouldn't have any problem with that personally, because it would bring in an established player that would be able to contribute for many years, something we'd be hoping to get in the draft but as we all know, the draft is a crap-shoot.

Otherwise, I don't see any big time moves from the colts unless it involves Freeney, but he'd have to be willing to have his agent renegotiate his contract in order for another team to be willing to trade for him. So again, overall I agree that we probably won't see any big time moves until the offseason when Free Agency begins.

Well....

Apologies, as I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make...

That said, if I understand you correctly we were offering those two.... hoping to entice a team to give up a pick for them.

But the poster who started this is now encouraging the Colts to give up something of value -- likely a pick -- in order to get one more player who the poster hopes will help us make the playoffs.

Notice how the two bold statements are exactly the same.

My point was it's not a sucker's market. There is talent available if you look hard enough and are willing to give up something of value.

Notice how the two bold statements are exactly the same.

My point was it's not a sucker's market. There is talent available if you look hard enough and are willing to give up something of value.

I think you're misunderstanding my point....

In the first quote I made put into bold, I'm saying we were SELLERS, the Colts were offering players (Freeney, Mathis according to you) trying to get a pick back.

But in the second quote I made put into bold, I'm saying the original poster wants the Colts to be BUYERS hoping that we will trade a pick to try to get one player who will make the difference in us getting to the playoffs, or going farther in the playoffs.

Big difference. Sellers in the first example. Buyers in the second example.

And the game we played yesterday proves my point. We're not one player away from being a playoff team. One more yesterday (and you can pick whoever you want) was not going to change what happened. We got shredded by a roughly 500 team. That should tell you were are multiple players away from being a good team.

When you're multiple players away from being a very good team and you make a trade trying to find that one special player to get you over the hump, it's a suckers market. It's a misevaluation of the situation. You make a trade like that when you're already a good team (playoff caliber) and you know that you're just one good player away. THEN, you can make that deal.

Otherwise.... it's a suckers market.

Hope this clarifies any misunderstanding.