Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Football Commentary By 'homers'

Zebra3

Have you noticed how the local (aka Home) commentary teams on the NFL Pre-season games have to make it sound like the result of the game is earth shattering when their tier-2 team is leading, or soundly beating a tier-1 team? I have this theory that these commentators have to do something because they know that in all likelihood during the regular season there will be precious little comfort to be found in the real games.

Well, that's OK, the Rams commentary team can gloat all they want, about a pre-season game; Joe Thiesman can blather endlessly (and repetitively) about being 'efficient' as the Redskins beat the Steelers; but we all know that come the real season, these guys are almost certainly going to have to adopt a whole new vocabulary that tries to take comfort from crumbs...

I don't know, I just find triumphant commentary about a preseason win to be more than a tad hollow...how about you?

I think they're not good commentators, but not because they're homers, because they're stupid. After the Taj Smith TD, they blamed it on the cornerbacks being inexperience and undrafted so that means they're not good cornerbacks... you'll never see that from Bob Lamey, he's the best radio voice in all of the NFL, and I'm not just saying that b/c he's a Colt commentator, it's because his voice and uniqueness makes him different and better from the competetion. The only other guy who comes close is that guy in San Fran. Anyways, I don't mind homers, but I hate homers you don't know anything about football but they're own team. Lamey knows the Colts extremely well, and knows all the other 31 teams very well also. The Rams homers only know the Rams, they knew nothing about the Colts.

I think they're not good commentators, but not because they're homers, because they're stupid. After the Taj Smith TD, they blamed it on the cornerbacks being inexperience and undrafted so that means they're not good cornerbacks... you'll never see that from Bob Lamey, he's the best radio voice in all of the NFL, and I'm not just saying that b/c he's a Colt commentator, it's because his voice and uniqueness makes him different and better from the competetion. The only other guy who comes close is that guy in San Fran. Anyways, I don't mind homers, but I hate homers you don't know anything about football but they're own team. Lamey knows the Colts extremely well, and knows all the other 31 teams very well also. The Rams homers only know the Rams, they knew nothing about the Colts.

i like that guy who did the commentating for the jags in their game vs the texans where mike thomas caught that pass on the deflection for the win. i think hes also on madden 11.

what do you expect? you think bob lamey doesnt do the same thing with us.

And where was the Colts broadcast? Usually one teams announcers does one half and as I was silently fuming while listening to all the self-serving Rams crap I comforted myself that after half-time that we'd at least get to listen to Colts stuff but noooooooooooo. It was solid Rams drivel the whole game. If I could have reached into the screen and silenced them I would have.

The Colts broadcasters do the same thing. Its just not as noticeable because we're fans.

Example from tonights broadcast from the Colts broadcasting network; During the replay of the first big run by Wash, Colts announcer Mark Herman says "Dwight Freeney spins himself right out of the play". If I'm a Redskins fan, I'm saying "NO, the LT absolutely consumed Dwight and drove him out of the play like a road grader", as he did. The bias goes both ways.

As much as I enjoy Bob Lamey, the one thing he does that makes me upset is, he's such a fan that he gets so excited that he blurts out what he thinks happened, what he hopes happened, before he actually has any confirmation. As if he forgets that people are listening to this and not seeing it. For example he proclaims things like "Colts got the fumble" and it turns out we don't. Or he'll scream "TOUCHDOWN" OR "FIRST DOWN" before actually receiving confirmation. So I'm sitting there at work like "YES" only to find out seconds later when Bob switches to his low voice "Ahhh dangit the Colts are short". That really irks me.

As much as I enjoy Bob Lamey, the one thing he does that makes me upset is, he's such a fan that he gets so excited that he blurts out what he thinks happened, what he hopes happened, before he actually has any confirmation. As if he forgets that people are listening to this and not seeing it. For example he proclaims things like "Colts got the fumble" and it turns out we don't. Or he'll scream "TOUCHDOWN" OR "FIRST DOWN" before actually receiving confirmation. So I'm sitting there at work like "YES" only to find out seconds later when Bob switches to his low voice "Ahhh dangit the Colts are short". That really irks me.

...or he'll tell you that a game-winning 60-yarder by Scobee is short and then a couple seconds later, "Oh, wait, no, it's good. Jaguars win." I enjoy listening to Lamey when I can't get a game on TV around here, but it's more of a nostalgia thing for me. I remember listening to Lamey's play-by-play as a kid whenever my parents wouldn't let me watch a game on TV. If I go back through my e-mail from the past five years, I'm sure I can find about a half dozen Lamey-said-this-but-this-is-what-actually-happened incidents that gave me a heart attack at the time. I love his passion, though.