Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who would be better for us mcglinchey or Nelson?

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

I’m not say he will. However he’ll get a few younger players in FA to fill holes. I’m all about the draft and getting younger.

I think he'll fix 1 or 2 holes. A young guard like Norwell or Pugh and maybe a WR like Bryant or Landry. I think everything else will come from the draft. I think a RT will be taken in the later rounds for competition, but the starter may already be on the roster. I think it'll be a quieter off-season than this year's.

I say McGlinchey, Nelson is being talked up as the best guard prospect ever but that's happened a few times in the last decade and most of them have not turned out. Most of the best guards in the NFL played tackle in college, DeCastro and Gabe Jackson are the only two really high end guards I can think of who played guard in college. After the season when I do more draft nerd work I'll have a better idea, but for now gun to my head I say McGlinchey.

Chubb, Basham, Simon, and Sheard...I could live with that rotation. There are few if any starting OLBs I could see getting to free agency that would really affect our pass rush so I would go after a stud in the draft. Typically we see more than serviceable inside lineman in rd 2...especially at the top of rd 2. We might not land the best in the draft but I think we can land a starter. I want to stick in the trenches and a game wrecker on defense is DESPERATELY needed.

17 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Chubb. 

Get O-lineman in the 2nd round and spend in FA 

Who are you suggesting we sign in free agency? This year's free agent class is awful for offensive linemen. Jack Mewhort is probably somewhere between the second and fourth best lineman in the group, and there isn't a single tackle that I would consider enough of an improvement over Haeg or Good to be worth the money they would likely demand. With how many teams there are that need offensive line help, and the complete lack of really good linemen hitting the open market, some very average linemen are going to get way overpaid, so I don't think we can realistically justify filling more than one starting spot (out of LG, RG, and RT) through free agency.

17 hours ago, MasterCrief said:

Who are you suggesting we sign in free agency? This year's free agent class is awful for offensive linemen. Jack Mewhort is probably somewhere between the second and fourth best lineman in the group, and there isn't a single tackle that I would consider enough of an improvement over Haeg or Good to be worth the money they would likely demand. With how many teams there are that need offensive line help, and the complete lack of really good linemen hitting the open market, some very average linemen are going to get way overpaid, so I don't think we can realistically justify filling more than one starting spot (out of LG, RG, and RT) through free agency.

I haven't kept up with the rest of league this year (mainly due to the asinine protests, and them taking money out of the Salute to Service and breast cancer awareness funds to "social justice causes") so I'm not really hip to who's available, but there's gotta be O-Linemen available next year that are better than what the Colts currently have on the roster.  

On 12/17/2017 at 9:11 AM, Indeee said:

Nelson, hands down.

What I don't understand is why some, not all, on this forum continue to lobby, wish, and hope for another positional player at 3-6 in first round over seemingly the best guard in the draft as of now. 

I get the old additive of not taking a guard so high, however the number 1 priority with this team has to be the Offensive Line, especially considering the amount of sacks and QB pressures and lack of running lanes this team has had last few years. YOU TAKE THE GUARD hands down and don't look back.

The skins took sheriff a couple years ago and it worked out just fine.

I personally would rather pass up on pass rushers who may or may not pan out then pass on a potential all pro for years to come on our line. 

Nelson may not pan out either.  Remember Chance warmack and johnathon Cooper?