Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who would be better for us mcglinchey or Nelson?

I will be the first to admit that I am no expert on offensive line and blocking schemes and I rarely follow college football I'm just too busy. Anyways, in the beginning of the year all I heard was people on here saying we should draft mcglinchey and people were saying he was the best o line prospect  in a long time.   Now all I seem to hear is people saying we should draft Nelson. Who is the better player and what are their strengths?  Is one player better at pass blocking or run blocking?  Based on our needs, who do you see us drafting and if we decide to trade our pick,how far back could we go back and still get one of the two? Would there be any way we could get both?  Thanks in advance!

Nelson, hands down.

What I don't understand is why some, not all, on this forum continue to lobby, wish, and hope for another positional player at 3-6 in first round over seemingly the best guard in the draft as of now. 

I get the old additive of not taking a guard so high, however the number 1 priority with this team has to be the Offensive Line, especially considering the amount of sacks and QB pressures and lack of running lanes this team has had last few years. YOU TAKE THE GUARD hands down and don't look back.

The skins took sheriff a couple years ago and it worked out just fine.

I personally would rather pass up on pass rushers who may or may not pan out then pass on a potential all pro for years to come on our line. 

The first question a new HC is going to ask is "what is the status of Luck?"

Second he is going ask what is the plan to protect him

the number one priority has to be fix the Oline.    For me I would like to see if it can be addressed in  FA 

either way Ballard will draft BPA 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I really don't get the desire for a G in the top 5, or a burning need to replace AC with a rookie.  But I'm not a Notre Dame fan, so there's that.

I'm not a Notre Dame fan, and I don't have to be to like Nelson. In fact, I hate college football in particular. The competition part of it is a joke as it's 90% recruiting and 10% coaching. A team like UCF goes undefeated and can't make the playoffs, and it's determined by a ranking system where people choose who is ranked where. The only thing college football is good for is being a launching pad for these kids to get into the NFL. The championships mean very little as only 5-10 teams are really in it from the beginning of the year anyway. Not hard to coach teams of mostly 4 and 5 star recruits over much less talented kids in other schools as the majority of your schedule. The difference between Alabama and the worst college team is much higher than the Pats and Browns. When people say the Browns could beat Alabama, it's absolutely true.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind Nelson in the top 5 because I think he is the safest pick in the draft and would probably end up as one of the top 10 players in the draft when it's all said and done, but we could probably trade down for him as well. Just hope Ballard wouldn't trade down too far if he was interested in him and miss out on the best Guard in a long time.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not a Notre Dame fan, and I don't have to be to like Nelson. In fact, I hate college football in particular. The competition part of it is a joke as it's 90% recruiting and 10% coaching. A team like UCF goes undefeated and can't make the playoffs, and it's determined by a ranking system where people choose who is ranked where. The only thing college football is good for is being a launching pad for these kids to get into the NFL. The championships mean very little as only 5-10 teams are really in it from the beginning of the year anyway. Not hard to coach teams of mostly 4 and 5 star recruits over much less talented kids in other schools as the majority of your schedule. The difference between Alabama and the worst college team is much higher than the Pats and Browns. When people say the Browns could beat Alabama, it's absolutely true.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind Nelson in the top 5 because I think he is the safest pick in the draft and would probably end up as one of the top 10 players in the draft when it's all said and done, but we could probably trade down for him as well. Just hope Ballard wouldn't trade down too far if he was interested in him and miss out on the best Guard in a long time.

I think everybody would be happy to trade down to get the G rather than pick him in the top 5.  

For all of the complaining that goes on, I think the college committee has it about right.  Its too hard to pick from the traditional dozen powerhouses, who are inherently more talented and deeper than the one hit wonders.  A program like UCF needs to do it for a few years before they earn their cred.  It took Boise State a while to do that and I think they would be in the conversation if they were undefeated with 4 and 5 star high school athletes.

The NCAA supports high school programs and all the money that schools devote to football these days, along with an extensive effort in evaluation for college admission.  No way is the NCAA going to let a team with a bunch of 3 star recruits get into the final 4 just because they go undefeated and are a bit gimmicky in doing it.  JMO.

The correct answer is both of them.

With the #2 or #3 pick, and some luck, the Colts could turn that pick into a first pick in the #5-#10 range while gaining enough additional top 75 picks to allow a trade up into the lower first round.  Nelson could be had in the #5-#10 range, and wait for McGlinchey/Williams/Brown near the end of the first round.  Or maybe just wait until the top of the 2nd round without the need to trade up.

Yeah, it's too early to know where these top tackles will slot, but I'm kind of hoping we can get both Nelson and one of the top OT utilizing the bounty gained from multiple trade back opportunities at the top of the first round.

I want them to draft Chubb and begin to solve the other huge problem: pass rush. 

If they did decide to draft one of these ND guys, I'd go with Nelson, but only if they were able to trade down just a bit and get another 2nd round pick.

1 hour ago, ponyboy said:

The correct answer is both of them.

With the #2 or #3 pick, and some luck, the Colts could turn that pick into a first pick in the #5-#10 range while gaining enough additional top 75 picks to allow a trade up into the lower first round.  Nelson could be had in the #5-#10 range, and wait for McGlinchey/Williams/Brown near the end of the first round.  Or maybe just wait until the top of the 2nd round without the need to trade up.

Yeah, it's too early to know where these top tackles will slot, but I'm kind of hoping we can get both Nelson and one of the top OT utilizing the bounty gained from multiple trade back opportunities at the top of the first round.

Correct was just going to post something along these lines....  BUT.  I would hope Ballard can address the RT position and G or G's  in FA   Then take BPA no matter position

I have watched both play. I am impressed with both players. Conner is an Left OT and if all things are equal or close I go with the OT especially considering the Rookie wage scale. The concern about Conner is the injury to his knee to make sure that it has healed. If Conner is not injured he would have probably been a Top 3 pick. The OT's are on islands so you have to have 2 good OT's first then build the interior. If you take Conner you have your OT's set. Then have to come up with  2 guards out of Mewhort, Good, Haig, Free Agent. If you take Nelson you still have a major problem at tackle that I don't believe can be addressed by the remaining players. 

2 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

If we were an offensive lineman away from challenging for a title it would make more sense.  But 

sadly, we are not.........

We're another hit on Luck away from spending a decade in the cellar.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

We're another hit on Luck away from spending a decade in the cellar.

Luck could be that way playing behind any line in the league. I'm not saying we don't need to fix the Oline, I just wouldn't take a guard with a first pick. An elite LT maybe but not a guard. We have so many needs that I'm in the camp that wants to trade back for more picks so we can perhaps fill more needs with this off season. One stud Olineman is not gonna suddenly make us world beaters. One stud at any position wouldn't I don't think (except in the case of someone like Luck or a Jim Brown type RB)

I can't think of any team that went from picking top 5 to Playoffs by taking a guard with that pick.

If you ask me the Colts have to draft Quenton Nelson! He is not only one of the most talented and best players in this years draft (easily a top 5 talent) he also fills a position of huuuuuuuuuuuuge need. Barkley is a great RB, Chubb a talented pass rusher but if we continue to take the most sacks and hits our franchise QB who come back from a serious injury will be done. FOREVER! And Barkley can rush as much yards as he wants or Chubb can have as many sacks as he wants without Luck this team will have another losing season. Nelson is the pick. He gives you a blue chip player that will be an immediate upgrade over what we have. A great and cheap option for the next years. Sign a guy like Norwell even if he isn't that cheap, let Mewhort hit the market (injury prone) and draft a tackle like Dillard in the mid rounds. 

7 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Luck could be that way playing behind any line in the league. I'm not saying we don't need to fix the Oline, I just wouldn't take a guard with a first pick. An elite LT maybe but not a guard. We have so many needs that I'm in the camp that wants to trade back for more picks so we can perhaps fill more needs with this off season. One stud Olineman is not gonna suddenly make us world beaters. One stud at any position wouldn't I don't think (except in the case of someone like Luck or a Jim Brown type RB)

I can't think of any team that went from picking top 5 to Playoffs by taking a guard with that pick.

Well, I'm trading down, if we can.  

43 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Out of those 2, Nelson, hands down.

If we end up with #2 then I’m wanting to ransom the pick to a QB needy team though. 

I expect Ballard to go after Oline hard in FA.

That's a fine approach in theory, but if you look at the list of upcoming free agents on the Oline, that plan falls apart really quickly. Here's a list of offensive line free agents for 2018. I don't recognize a lot of those names, but of the guys on that list that I have heard of, most of them are either getting old or not very good, and of those that are good, there's no one that's going to fix an offensive line with as much need for talent as ours has. We could potentially get one of our guard spots figured out, but I don't think the interior OL is getting fixed in free agency, and there isn't a single tackle that I really like as a starter for us.

I'm with you on hopefully getting the second pick and trading down for a ransom, and if we're able to do that, I would be taking the best offensive lineman on the board at wherever we end up, and spending another early round (2nd or 3rd) pick on someone at the OL position we didn't address in the first.

6 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I will be the first to admit that I am no expert on offensive line and blocking schemes and I rarely follow college football I'm just too busy. Anyways, in the beginning of the year all I heard was people on here saying we should draft mcglinchey and people were saying he was the best o line prospect  in a long time.   Now all I seem to hear is people saying we should draft Nelson. Who is the better player and what are their strengths?  Is one player better at pass blocking or run blocking?  Based on our needs, who do you see us drafting and if we decide to trade our pick,how far back could we go back and still get one of the two? Would there be any way we could get both?  Thanks in advance!

Nelson in a land slide.

1 hour ago, MasterCrief said:

That's a fine approach in theory, but if you look at the list of upcoming free agents on the Oline, that plan falls apart really quickly. Here's a list of offensive line free agents for 2018. I don't recognize a lot of those names, but of the guys on that list that I have heard of, most of them are either getting old or not very good, and of those that are good, there's no one that's going to fix an offensive line with as much need for talent as ours has. We could potentially get one of our guard spots figured out, but I don't think the interior OL is getting fixed in free agency, and there isn't a single tackle that I really like as a starter for us.

I'm with you on hopefully getting the second pick and trading down for a ransom, and if we're able to do that, I would be taking the best offensive lineman on the board at wherever we end up, and spending another early round (2nd or 3rd) pick on someone at the OL position we didn't address in the first.

DJ Fluker.  Young and is not going to want to stay with the Giants IMO

2 minutes ago, a06cc said:

With 67-91 million in cap space we can fix the holes on this team. Ballard did a great job with our finances. 

Remember that trying to build a team through FA is what Grigson tried and failed it. Ballard has stated (and I'm sure all GM's have) that he wants to build through the draft. He might spend good money on a guard and WR, but the long terms 5+ year starters on this team will be drafted players. That's how it was in KC. They rarely went on spending sprees and "Raised their own".

51 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Remember that trying to build a team through FA is what Grigson tried and failed it. Ballard has stated (and I'm sure all GM's have) that he wants to build through the draft. He might spend good money on a guard and WR, but the long terms 5+ year starters on this team will be drafted players. That's how it was in KC. They rarely went on spending sprees and "Raised their own".

It failed because Grigson brought in players in their 30’s. Ballard hasn’t done that.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He also hasn't "broken the bank" so to speak. Most of his signings were 2 year, cheap deals

I stated such in my earlier post. Ballard has done a great job in bringing in younger talent with great contracts. John Hankins was by far his best signing. The guy is a true warrior. Comes right back into games even with a minor ding. 

10 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I stated such in my earlier post. Ballard has done a great job in bringing in younger talent with great contracts. John Hankins was by far his best signing. The guy is a true warrior. Comes right back into games even with a minor ding. 

Hankins was his only really splash signing. Other than that he drafted well and let the rest play itself out. He says he doesn't want to go crazy in FA. That's why I don't think he'll fix all of our holes by just signing guys. It'll be done with draft picks and the progression of his rookies in year 2.

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Hankins was his only really splash signing. Other than that he drafted well and let the rest play itself out. He says he doesn't want to go crazy in FA. That's why I don't think he'll fix all of our holes by just signing guys. It'll be done with draft picks and the progression of his rookies in year 2.

I’m not say he will. However he’ll get a few younger players in FA to fill holes. I’m all about the draft and getting younger.