Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Good Is Arden Key?

I don't follow college football and don't really pay attention to the players coming out of college until a few months before the NFL Draft.

But.. I keep hearing the name Arden Key 'The Outside Linebacker for LSU' being a possible target for the Colts in next years draft.

Can anyone tell me anything about this kid? Does he seem legit? Should we target him if he's available when we pick in next years draft.

Please fill me in about this kid.

Thanks Colts Nation.

He has a lot of hype behind him.  Had 12 sacks last year and has some good athleticism to him.  6'6" and 265 (current weight), his ideal weight is 255 to 260.  He was injured and just came back form a shoulder surgery.  If he stays healthy this year he will be a top-5 I believe.  

I just watched their game vs Mississippi state(like literally finished 5 minutes ago) and his return. I was left wanting more. He was getting flushed out of plays or getting stuck on blocks and couldn't shed blocks on running downs. He created some pressure and got a sack though. His sack was a very nice display of what scouts seem to love about him - his twitchyness and sudden and quick change of direction - he faked a move inside and with a quick step moved to the outside of the tackle, where he swiped his hands and when I thought "good effort, but he seems to be getting flushed out again", he planted his foot and exploded changing direction with amazing closing speed towards the QB ... and jumped on his back. There are things to like for sure, but I kind of expected him to be a bit more consistent in the run game for a player that's being projected as a top 5 pick.

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

I just watched their game vs Mississippi state(like literally finished 5 minutes ago) and his return. I was left wanting more. He was getting flushed out of plays or getting stuck on blocks and couldn't shed blocks on running downs. He created some pressure and got a sack though. His sack was a very nice display of what scouts seem to love about him - his twitchyness and sudden and quick change of direction - he faked a move inside and with a quick step moved to the outside of the tackle, where he swiped his hands and when I thought "good effort, but he seems to be getting flushed out again", he planted his foot and exploded changing direction with amazing closing speed towards the QB ... and jumped on his back. There are things to like for sure, but I kind of expected him to be a bit more consistent in the run game for a player that's being projected as a top 5 pick.

To be fair this was his first action after having off-season surgery.  He got limited time and is probably not at 100% playing speed.  Plus he is a little heavy as the coached mentioned.  Give it time and you should receiver the more you seek.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ll continue to monitor him. He’s a top 5 guy if he can ball out the last few games.

I will say, be careful with the stats and balling out side.  Some players get a lot of lime light and then a smart opposing coach will try to take them out of the game.  Look at Clowney's last year at South Carolina.  The important thing for Key IMO is going to show get traits on film and then INTERVIEWS, the combine and pro day to show potential.  Interviews will be huge though because this guy has some red flags for sure.

Right now, if I had to guess, I say he is drafted top 15 but not top 5.  Too many QB's and his red flags push him down boards.  This is just my opinion, but each year you have some guys that drop.

50 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I will say, be careful with the stats and balling out side.  Some players get a lot of lime light and then a smart opposing coach will try to take them out of the game.  Look at Clowney's last year at South Carolina.  The important thing for Key IMO is going to show get traits on film and then INTERVIEWS, the combine and pro day to show potential.  Interviews will be huge though because this guy has some red flags for sure.

Right now, if I had to guess, I say he is drafted top 15 but not top 5.  Too many QB's and his red flags push him down boards.  This is just my opinion, but each year you have some guys that drop.

This is true. His situation is kind of like Leonard Floyd. Floyd had all of the measureables you’d want but people knocked him for lack of production. Fast forward and he has 7 sacks his rookie year and 4 this year. Guy makes plays too as he has a FF and a defensive TD.

So for Key I’m just looking for him to show SIGNS of being the dominant pass rusher he was last year. Because he “quit” football at the end of last season, there were questions as to if he loved football. Producing these last couple of games will answer that question IMO. I’m looking at O-Line round 1, but Ballard should be looking at Key. Imagine Basham and Key in 2 years together starting at OLB.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

This is true. His situation is kind of like Leonard Floyd. Floyd had all of the measureables you’d want but people knocked him for lack of production. Fast forward and he has 7 sacks his rookie year and 4 this year. Guy makes plays too as he has a FF and a defensive TD.

So for Key I’m just looking for him to show SIGNS of being the dominant pass rusher he was last year. Because he “quit” football at the end of last season, there were questions as to if he loved football. Producing these last couple of games will answer that question IMO. I’m looking at O-Line round 1, but Ballard should be looking at Key. Imagine Basham and Key in 2 years together starting at OLB.

If he shows enough and we pick him then I will hope he becomes a beast obviously.  If there is enough for us to want him but you can still get a solid trade back I would do it.  He might still fall to you and you get extra picks.  I just hope who ever we pick next year within the first 3 rounds are impact players.  That is asking a lot I get it, but having Wilson not playing is upsetting to me.  Hooker is hurt but showed some good signs.  Hairston has been the best thing out of the draft.  To be honest I was not and still am not a huge fan of Basham.  I hope he shows more and shows me wrong but there were a lot of other guys on the board I wanted.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Seems like Arden Key will undergo a surgery on broken finger. He's been playing with this injury for the last 2 months. That explains some of what I saw in his game early this season.

I have not seen anything personally that would make me want him top 5.  I have tried to support him and back him but he only shows explosiveness in some plays each game.  I wish he would show more on every play and also not either be injured or suspended all the time.  Just has some red flags for me now.

Just now, DaColts85 said:

I have not seen anything personally that would make me want him top 5.  I have tried to support him and back him but he only shows explosiveness in some plays each game.  I wish he would show more on every play and also not either be injured or suspended all the time.  Just has some red flags for me now.

Check his tape vs Alabama. It is absolutely worth of a top 5 pick. If not a no. 1 pick in this draft. 

Just now, stitches said:

Check his tape vs Alabama. It is absolutely worth of a top 5 pick. If not a no. 1 pick in this draft. 

I watched the game.  Again he had some good plays but still has other things looming all the time that would make me really question or just look into him more I guess.  I defended him after that game, but watching some plays again, he shows explosion on some and on others he disappears or just goes through the motions.  With a top 5 I want someone who is seen almost every play regardless if they make the tackle.  Flash on the screen and be seen at the ball.  Just me personally I guess.  He has talent but again some flags and questions that would make me hesitant.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I watched the game.  Again he had some good plays but still has other things looming all the time that would make me really question or just look into him more I guess.  I defended him after that game, but watching some plays again, he shows explosion on some and on others he disappears or just goes through the motions.  With a top 5 I want someone who is seen almost every play regardless if they make the tackle.  Flash on the screen and be seen at the ball.  Just me personally I guess.  He has talent but again some flags and questions that would make me hesitant.

Understood and fair enough... I have questions about his redflags too.. and I still would prefer Chubb over him if I had the choice. 

Just now, stitches said:

Understood and fair enough... I have questions about his redflags too.. and I still would prefer Chubb over him if I had the choice. 

I do not disagree there.  The only thing is to me Chubb is the perfect fit for a 4-3 system and not a 3-4.  He is similar to a Joey Bosa without all the hype.  His hype might build with an impressive combine and pro day but he is a hand in the dirt type guy.  A true DE and not so much a stand up guy.  I could be wrong but if we stay in an aggressive 3-4 D I would hope for someone who fits a little better.  Just my opinion though.