Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Offseason Reading Series #7: My favourite throws from Andrew Luck's career

21isSuperman

Not a lot of news in the NFL world, so time for another ORS!

Previous ORS installments

ORS1: The best Indianapolis Colts team ever

ORS2: Which Indianapolis Colt are you?

ORS3: Dissecting the 15th overall pick

ORS4: Choose your contract

ORS5: Which Simpsons characters are the Indianapolis Colts?

ORS6: The best trash-talking moments of Peyton Manning's career

In the last ORS, we looked at our previous franchise quarterback, Peyton Manning.  In this ORS, we take a look at our current franchise quarterback, Andrew Luck.

5 of my favourite Andrew Luck throws so far

Andrew Luck is an exceptional QB and has the talent to be a multiple time MVP winner.  Just 5 years into his career, he has already led the league in TDs in 2014, made multiple Pro Bowls, and has several playoff wins under his belt.  Throughout his career, he’s made some unbelievable throws; sometimes you see him make a play and you shake your head and realize that Luck is one of a handful of people on the planet who can make that play.  This is a list of some of my favourite throws Luck has made during his professional career thus far.

1. Against the Chiefs

In the 2013 playoffs, the Colts and Chiefs played a game that will go down as one of the most exciting ever.  The Chiefs were leading by 28 points at one point and were dominating Indy offensively and defensively.  The Indy offense couldn’t hold onto the ball while the defense couldn’t stop KC.  However, this didn’t discourage the Colts.  Indy managed to mount an improbable and exciting comeback, capped off with an incredible throw from Luck to Hilton. With 4:26 left on the clock, the Colts had the ball and were ready to march down the field and complete one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history.  Down 6 points, the Colts needed a touchdown.  And…

HILTONTD2.gif

Everything about this throw is incredible.  Hilton runs a perfect route, splitting the defenders.  Luck’s throw is pinpoint accurate, hitting Hilton in stride.  The situation surrounding this throw (4th quarter, 4 mins left, and season on the line) adds to the moment.  The crowd, already excited from the amazing comeback they’re witnessing, goes absolutely bonkers.  I was yelling and screaming like a madman in my house after watching this throw.  I’ve probably watched this clip a hundred times and still don’t get tired of it.

2. Against the Bengals

The throw you’re about to see might be the best throw you’ll ever see.

luckyes-0.gif?w=516&h=300

Let’s just take a look at what Luck has to face here.

1) Collapsing pocket

2) Throwing on the run

3) Has to evade Reggie Nelson at the top of his drop

4) Two defenders at the 30 yard line running towards him, ready to tear his head off.  Not only does Luck have to get rid of the ball quickly because of these defenders and Dunlap, but these two defenders also take away any possibility of Luck running for the first down.

5) Carlos Dunlap grabbing him by the waist, then his feet

6) Throwing while falling

7) A target that is 40 yards away

8) A target that has two defenders on him

How many people on the planet can do even half of those?  How many people can throw 40 yards while on the run?  How many people have the arm strength to throw the ball 40 yards as they’re getting tripped?  And how many people can do all of that and have the touch to deliver the ball with laser-like accuracy, hitting the receiver in stride?  This throw is unbelievable on so many levels and it shows you why Luck is one of the best QBs in the game.

3. Against the Packers

This is one of my favourite games.  The fight the team showed despite missing their coach was incredible.  Reggie Wayne had one of the best performances I’ve seen from him.  While the highlight of that game was Reggie sticking the football and his orange glove over the goal line...

Reggie-Wayne-Game-Winning-TD-Catch-Packe

...this throw deserves a lot of praise.

luck-to-wayne-10-7-12.gif

Despite the defenders hanging off of him, Luck shows the strength to stay upright and keep the play alive.  Not only that, but with barely enough room to set his feet and barely enough time to reset his body, he flings the ball over 20 yards.  Despite blanket-like coverage on him, Reggie Wayne rises up and snags the ball, keeping the Colts in the game and leading to the eventual game winning TD.

4. Against the Jets

This might be the most underrated throw you’ll see from Luck. 

amazing-luck-play.gif?w=552

Once again, we see a collapsing pocket.  Luck barely as room to set his feet for the throw.  Even if he did have more room, he wouldn’t be able to because of the defender holding his leg!  With one defender coming off the edge and another holding his leg, Luck is in trouble.  But this is Andrew Luck we’re talking about here.  Making a throw off of one leg with no room in a collapsing pocket is a challenge Luck scoffs at.  Throwing off of one leg with no room or time to reset, Luck flings this ball 25 yards to the sidelines.  It lands perfectly in the receiver’s hands.  Perfect accuracy, collapsing pocket, defender holding his leg (!), and Luck still makes the perfect throw.  Deep routes to the sidelines are one of the things a lot of younger QBs struggle with because they require so much arm strength and accuracy.  Luck makes that throw while falling!  Arm strength, accuracy, pocket awareness, you name it.  That’s unreal.

5. Against the Patriots

This throw isn’t something that will wow you like the other ones, but the touch Luck displays is crazy.  For once, Luck gets a clean pocket.  Let’s see what he can do with it.

luck-fantastic.gif?w=552

Are you kidding me?  Look at the touch he puts on the football.  That ball is in the air for around 30 yards.  It hits his receiver perfectly in stride.  It’s located where only his guy can get it.  The defensive back covering Hilton sees the throw, but can’t do anything except watch Hilton reel it in.  If there weren’t a sideline there, Hilton would still be running today. When you have the accuracy and touch to locate a throw like that 30 yards away, you leave defenders helpless.

When your franchise quarterback has the ability to make these throws, you can’t help but smile...

mtv3p4z.jpg

...and dance...

thisjerkthinksitsthesuperbowl.0.gif

Great read! Those are some great plays by 12. We're blessed to have him as our QB. 

Another of my favourite throws from him...

The first of these 2, to ice the game against Green Bay this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIJ-33vyvTg

Clutch play to avoid the sack, and find Doyle. Just sheer determination and talent, which perfectly exemplifies the player Andrew Luck is. 

The Bengals game throw is one of the best passes I've ever seen from anybody. I thought he was gonna get sacked.

The Jets pass is one you could argue that was risky and dangerous, was not even human. I'm not sure how Luck pulled that one off. That was impossible.

3 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

The Bengals game throw is one of the best passes I've ever seen from anybody. I thought he was gonna get sacked.

It could just be the best throw I've ever seen.  It's absolutely unbelievable.  You give me 100 shots and I'm not sure I'd be able to complete that even once.  Falling to the ground, on the run, defender on your legs, and he puts it right in Moncrief's hands.

22 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Great read! Those are some great plays by 12. We're blessed to have him as our QB. 

Another of my favourite throws from him...

The first of these 2, to ice the game against Green Bay this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIJ-33vyvTg

Clutch play to avoid the sack, and find Doyle. Just sheer determination and talent, which perfectly exemplifies the player Andrew Luck is. 

Watching that video and the gifs I posted again got me so amped for football to return haha