Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade next years 2nd ROUNDER for Malcom Butler? ?

Zero chance the Pats take a future 2 for him, especially from someone in the same conference. They'll stick with a 1st until the draft and then try and deal him during the draft as part of a trade up if they need to.

The Saints were making moves in his direction, or so I heard.

20 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

How many years does he have on his rookie deal???

One thing to consider. . . they might not trade him but instead let him walk and get a compensatory selection out of it.  

1 year. Sort of, he got 1st round tender for the Pats, which is around 4M. FA next year.

FWIW, there were rumors that Brandin Cooks trade would be centered around Malcolm Butler (and perhaps pick too or something like that). However, Butler hadn't (hasn't) signed his tender, so the Pats couldn't trade him. Cooks was due his roster bonus or something last week, Saints who are tight witht he cap didn't want to pay that for a player they weren't keeping, so they had to make a trade last week.

I read on the Saints board that there were some rumors that Butler would be going to the Saints anyway, in a separate transaction on paper, but it would actually be more or less the same deal they were originally talking about; Butler for Cooks and some picks to balance it out.

6 minutes ago, Finball said:

1 year. Sort of, he got 1st round tender for the Pats, which is around 4M. FA next year.

Ok so he's an RFA this year.  Got it.  

I'm guessing, especially the way the Pat's hit FA hard this year (unusual for them) they are looking to win another SB before Brady retires.  

I don't think they will trade Butler away.  If they can't afford to extend Butler next year and he walks, that's fine they will still got a compensatory selection out of him as long as they don't hit FA hard next year.  

16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Ok so he's an RFA this year.  Got it.  

I'm guessing, especially the way the Pat's hit FA hard this year (unusual for them) they are looking to win another SB before Brady retires.  

I don't think they will trade Butler away.  If they can't afford to extend Butler next year and he walks, that's fine they will still got a compensatory selection out of him as long as they don't hit FA hard next year.  

That's what would make the most sense for them right now, IMO.

But even with this win now moves, BB might still be looking at the future. As it is, they don't have a lot of draft picks. Which is very unusual for BB, unless he's going to retire soon.

13 minutes ago, Finball said:

That's what would make the most sense for them right now, IMO.

But even with this win now moves, BB might still be looking at the future. As it is, they don't have a lot of draft picks. Which is very unusual for BB, unless he's going to retire soon.

Well they've traded a lot of them away.  But only for this year.  

Maybe BB doesn't think this draft class is as great as most others think it is.  Or it might be the win now approach, grab another ring or 2 before Brady retires (and Belichek might retire with his QB.)

But a lot of the moves the Pats have made this year have been very "win now" moves which is unusual for them.  Especially when you consider that they where already the best team in the league last year.