Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chelsea_fc 2015 mock draft 1.0

With it being this early in the offseason for the Colts, I am not going to pick specific free agents that they will take, only the needs they will fill in free agency.

Free Agent Needs Filled: (16-20 Million Spent)

- OG - Above average guard

- DT - A top free agent and one who will collapse the pocket and disrupt the QB

- WR - Veteran to help out with depth

- S - A top free agent

Colts Resigned: (15 Million Spent)

- Reggie Wayne

- Matt Hasselbeck

- Darius Butler

- Joe Reitz

- Sergio Brown

- Mike Adams

- Andy Studabaker

- Dan Herron

- Jarrell Freeman

- AQ Shipley

- Matt Overton

- Xavier Nixon

- Daniel Adongo

Colts Cut: (11.5 Million Cap Savings)

- Laron Landry

- Trent Richardson

- Lance Louis

- Donald Thomas

- Shawn Phillips

2015 Draft:

- Round 1 - Shaq Thompson, S/LB, Washington - Playmaker, what our defense is lacking, Thompson was a playmaker while at Washington, no matter where he played, he made plays and always had a nose for the ball.  Would be a smart pickup at 29.

- Round 2 - Paul Dawson, ILB/OLB, TCU - I know you may be saying, why draft pretty much the same person in back to back rounds.  Answer, because its what we need, linebackers who make plays, and last time Grigson drafted the same player in back to back rounds it worked out well (Fleener/Allen).  Paul Dawson is another playmaker that our defense has been lacking.

- Round 3 - Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State - Gotta give Dustin some credit here, his wright up is what turned me on to this guy.  One of his best traits is catching the ball out of the backfield and as of the end of the season this is something our offense needs to run properly.  Has fantastic balance and has the speed and vision to work well in our offense.

- Round 4 - Marcus Hardison, DT, Arizona State - Defensive line help, disruptive and can collapse the pocket, solid against the run and would help in the rotation immediately.

- Round 5 - Jaquiski Tartt, S, Samford - A fan favorite in the later rounds around here.  He has the size we crave for our safeties and is very physical.  Needs to get better as cover guy, but has the physicality we need.  Can start immediately helping us on special teams.

- Round 6 - Imoan Claiborne, CB, Northwestern State - A good press corner that can fill in as our 4th corner and would help with depth.  Fast riser in the draft, so might be gone before this pick.

- Round 6 - Ryan Russell, DE, Purdue - Does not have the production you would like to see, but has the size and the look of the part.  Watching him on several clips he can disrupt in the backfield and make the plays, just needs to be more consistent.

- Round 7- Jordan Taylor, WR, Rice - At this stage in the draft process and this late in the draft, you look for potential, and I know every year someone drops this low that you can not believe is still there but that is impossible to predict at this stage.  Taylor has good size (6'5, 210) and production you would like to see, just needs to put it all together.

Let me know what you guys think.

I love seeing Hardinson getting some love been tracking him since the Irish game

I would go Perryman with our first which is really a high 2nd  I think he's going to end up going around there anyway don't see Thompson lasting that long

Overall Ike what you did try and get some splash players on D

Good although I strongly doubt that Thompson will be around at 29. Great if he is, but guess who will be?? Virginia OLB Eli Harold. Not many really know about him right now, but he has the speed, length, strength and agility to be a star in the Colts hybrid 3-4 defense. I would take him, Holliman or Phillips honestly. However yes Thompson is a great talent. I just dont see how he makes it past the Bengals at the very latest.

I love seeing Hardinson getting some love been tracking him since the Irish game

I would go Perryman with our first which is really a high 2nd I think he's going to end up going around there anyway don't see Thompson lasting that long

Overall Ike what you did try and get some splash players on D

Yeah i think it is very important that we look for playmakers in the draft this year and not just somebody who fits the body type we're looking for in our defense. As we have seen, just because you're huge does not mean you can do your job well.

And as for Thompson, I thought that as well, but there is talk right now that he could slip because he doesn't have a set position. ESPN has a second round grade on him right now, and nfl.com has a bottom first, top of second type grade, so you never know. It will all probably change at the combine.

I would love this draft! I am a huge fan of Shaq Thompson and feel he would make an outstanding safety. Paul Dawson in the 2nd round would represent a nice upgrade on the interior. 

Tartt may require our 4th round pick, but he has potential. He needs a year of grooming, and struggles in coverage, but offers some nice potential.

If we resign Adams to another one year deal, we could be setting ourselves up for a nice safety tandem of Thompson and Tartt with your draft. 

The only pick I might change would be the 3rd round pick. I like Ajayi well enough, but I am really intrigued with Lynden Trail at OLB from Norfolk St. He is currently 6'6" 260 lbs with tremendous athletic ability. He could become a tremendous strong side OLB for us.