Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson Reach Deal

HtownColt

@AdamSchefter: Cardinals, CB Patrick Peterson agreed on 5-year, $70 million contract. Peterson becomes 1st 2011 1st rounder to do big deal.

@ESPNStatsInfo: CB Patrick Peterson and Cardinals agree on 5-year extension with $48M guaranteed (most ever for a CB)

What is it with Cardinals management? Both Larry Fitzgerald and Patrick Peterson are overpaid, IMO, and that hurts the team in the long run.

I don't think that's accurate. Both are two of the best  players in the league and they paid them as such. Nothing wrong with that, the cap is going up for the foreseeable future. 

I don't think that's accurate. Both are two of the best  players in the league and they paid them as such. Nothing wrong with that, the cap is going up for the foreseeable future. 

You could have 3 star players for what those 2 stars are paid, IMO. That is just how I see it. But then, this is the third year of the new CBA and the fact that teams have to spend 95% of the cap (starting 2013) is a fact that is weighing on GMs' minds.

For those that are curious, here is a good NFL Salary cap FAQ:

http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

The 95% part, I am pasting from above:

Is there a Minimum Salary?

Answer: Yep. Under the new CBA, The cap (max)for 2014 is $133M per team. Each team must average $126.35 M. That is a league-wide average not an individual team minimum. League-wide, teams were required to spend 99% of the cap in 2011 and 2012. In 2013 and beyond, they must spend 95% of the cap. In the event that player costs are less than this overall league minimum, then, on or before April 15 of the next League Year, the NFL must pay an amount equal to such deficiency directly to the players.

In terms of minimum salary for each team, the salary floor is 89% of the cap. That became effective in 2013, as this requirement was by-passed in 2011 and 2012. Hence, there was in essence no salary floor in 2011 or 2012.

Under the prior edition of the CBA, beginning in 2006 each team had to pay a guaranteed Minimum Team Salary of 84% of the Salary Cap. Each year that percentage went up by 1.2%. However, the Minimum Team Salary was not to extend beyond 90% of the Salary Cap and any shortfall in the Minimum Team Salary at the end of a league year had to be paid, on or before April 15 of the next league year, by the team(s) having such shortfall, directly to the players who were on that team's roster at any time during the season.

Larry Fitzgerald production the past 2 years could have been replaced by a 2nd round pick. And wouldn't have cost them almost $30M. He'll likely never put up another season much better (by volume) than the one he just had again in his career. So yeah, his contract is pretty terrible. 

You could have 3 star players for what those 2 stars are paid, IMO. That is just how I see it. But then, this is the third year of the new CBA and the fact that teams have to spend 95% of the cap (starting 2013) is a fact that is weighing on GMs' minds.

For those that are curious, here is a good NFL Salary cap FAQ:

http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

The 95% part, I am pasting from above:

Is there a Minimum Salary?

Answer: Yep. Under the new CBA, The cap (max)for 2014 is $133M per team. Each team must average $126.35 M. That is a league-wide average not an individual team minimum. League-wide, teams were required to spend 99% of the cap in 2011 and 2012. In 2013 and beyond, they must spend 95% of the cap. In the event that player costs are less than this overall league minimum, then, on or before April 15 of the next League Year, the NFL must pay an amount equal to such deficiency directly to the players.

In terms of minimum salary for each team, the salary floor is 89% of the cap. That became effective in 2013, as this requirement was by-passed in 2011 and 2012. Hence, there was in essence no salary floor in 2011 or 2012.

Under the prior edition of the CBA, beginning in 2006 each team had to pay a guaranteed Minimum Team Salary of 84% of the Salary Cap. Each year that percentage went up by 1.2%. However, the Minimum Team Salary was not to extend beyond 90% of the Salary Cap and any shortfall in the Minimum Team Salary at the end of a league year had to be paid, on or before April 15 of the next league year, by the team(s) having such shortfall, directly to the players who were on that team's roster at any time during the season.

I think perhaps one should figure these deals as a percentage of the cap and then compare it to an older CB deal of similar abilities and see if they are comparable in terms of the percent of the cap.

Right now 14 mil per year is 10.75% of the cap.  But overthecap.com's cap calculator seems to expect the cap to go up by about 10 million per year up to 2018 where it pegs it at about 170 mil.

It's hard to say if it actually does this or not.  But I think the only way you can make a comparison is how big these deals are in terms of cap percentage.  

In fact it would be interesting if someone could go through past contracts and find out what the highest pay was for each position based on percentage of the salary cap.