Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

At last! Some clarity on the playoffs dumbed down for a simpleton like me! NFL.COM

coltsfan_nyc

No, a whole laundry list of things would have to happen for the Colts to not get in. 

If the Colts lose out, Pittsburgh wins out, and Cincy wins its other game, all three would be 9-7.

So then it's the tie breaker nightmare. Anyone know how we stand then?

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after one or more clubs are eliminated during any step, tie-breaker re-starts at Step One of two-club format. If three clubs remain tied after a fourth club is eliminated during any step, tie-breaker re-starts at Step One of three-club format.)

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

9. Best net points in common games.

10. Best net points in all games.

11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

12. Coin toss.

If the Colts lose out, Pittsburgh wins out, and Cincy wins its other game, all three would be 9-7.

So then it's the tie breaker nightmare. Anyone know how we stand then?

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after one or more clubs are eliminated during any step, tie-breaker re-starts at Step One of two-club format. If three clubs remain tied after a fourth club is eliminated during any step, tie-breaker re-starts at Step One of three-club format.)

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

9. Best net points in common games.

10. Best net points in all games.

11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

12. Coin toss.

Yes, this is the discussion we've been having for the past few days.  In strength of victory, too many games would have to be made up for the Colts to not make it.  I'm sure some outlet will run an official list of it at some point.   GoColts found a similar list on WNDE. 

That said, beat the Chiefs and get the #5 seed. 

Here's the best thing I've found which discusses strength of victory, and I have to say, after running through the final two weeks of games, it might not be as improbable as WNDE painted it or we thought it to be.  The problem with trying to predict this is it fluctuates wildly depending upon who your opponents might beat.  It's almost impossible to predict, and no simulator could possibly predict it because you would have to run through an infinite amount of scenarios.  The Colts are in a good position, but I would still rather beat KC and not take my chances. 

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/BG/20121218/SPORTS03/121218010/Phil-Richards-How-Indianapolis-Colts-can-clinch-playoff-spot

The Colts clinch a postseason spot if:

1) They win or tie at Kansas City OR

2) They clinch the strength of victory tiebreaker over Cincinnati (8-6) OR

3) Pittsburgh (7-7) loses or ties (the Bengals play at Pittsburgh on Sunday).

The Colts (.397) currently hold the strength of victory tiebreaker on the Bengals (.339).

We have the Chiefs and Houston on the schedule against their Steelers and Ravens... I wonder what has to happen in order for them to overtake us in strength of schedule

It depends on who the teams we have beaten, and they have beaten, beat in the final two weeks.  It depends on who the Vikings, Packers, Dolphins, Bills, Jags, Titans, Lions and Browns beat.  As you can imagine, there are an infinite number of possibilities, all of which are impossible to predict. 

The Colts have a decent lead for now.  That's all you can say.

If Pittsburgh wins out, Cincinnati splits their final two and the Colts lose out then all three would be tied for wild card spots. The tie breaker would be the one for Wild Card teams. The first thing done is to apply the division tie breaker between the Bengals and Steelers first. This is the way I am reading it.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Is this right experts lol ?

"Indianapolis (9-5) needs only one win -- against the Chiefs this week or theTexans in Week 17 -- to secure a playoff berth. Losses by the New York JetsBengals or Steelers also would do the trick."

Since the Bengals are playing the Steelers next week wouldn't we have clinched... assuming that one of these teams must lose? I'm beginning to think the NFL is just screwing with me.

Okay, I went through every potential game and opponent, ran it through the simulator, and independently, came out with the exact scenario WNDE posted.  What WNDE posted is spot on, to a tee.  Even if the Colts lose out, every one of these things would have to happen for them to not make the playoffs.  If this happens, the Bengals would get the 6th seed in a 3 way tie.  As far as I can tell, what WNDE posted is as close to official as you can get. 

- KC beats Denver

- Oak beats Carolina

- SD beats the Jets

- NE beats Miami

- Jets beat Buffalo

- Hou. beats Minn

- Atl. beats Detroit

- Chi beats Det. 

As far as strength of victory goes, no other game matters.  The rest cancel one another out. 

So, if this week, Carolina beats Oakland, or the Jets beat SD, or Minn. beats Houston, the Colts clinch.

Okay, I went through every potential game and opponent, ran it through the simulator, and independently, came out with the exact scenario WNDE posted.  What WNDE posted is spot on, to a tee.  Even if the Colts lose out, every one of these things would have to happen for them to not make the playoffs.  If this happens, the Bengals would get the 6th seed in a 3 way tie.  As far as I can tell, what WNDE posted is as close to official as you can get. 

- KC beats Denver

- Oak beats Carolina

- SD beats the Jets

- NE beats Miami

- Jets beat Buffalo

- Hou. beats Minn

- Atl. beats Detroit

- Chi beats Det. 

As far as strength of victory goes, no other game matters.  The rest cancel one another out. 

So, if this week, Carolina beats Oakland, or the Jets beat SD, or Minn. beats Houston, the Colts clinch.

This post make no sense. Those games should have no bearing on the colts games whatsoever.

This post make no sense. Those games should have no bearing on the colts games whatsoever.

That would be incorrect.  We're talking strength of victory, and what would have to happen for the Colts to lose the strength of victory tiebreaker to the Bengals in a 3 way tie.  This is the only way the Colts could miss the playoffs. 

Due to most of the games canceling one another out, only 8 games in the final two weeks have any bearing on the strength of victory tiebreaker, and the Bengals need every single one of them to go in their favor to win the tiebreaker.  That's the simplest way I can put it.