Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reed suspended one game for illegal hits.

Indyfan4life

Ravens FS Ed Reed has been suspended one game for "repeated violations of the rule prohibiting hits to the head and neck area of defenseless players."

It's a brave new NFL. Reed delivered a savage helmet-to-helmet blow to Emmanuel Sanders in Sunday's win, earning a 15-yard penalty for the plainly illegal hit. He'll miss a tantalizing matchup with Chargers' interception machine Philip Rivers, though the one-week absence will allow Reed some time to heal up his myriad chronic injuries. He'll be back for Baltimore's Week 13 tilt with the Bengals.

Source: NFL.com

This is the only way you'll get this kind of thing to stop. Fines aren't going to do it but if you start taking games away it will stop. I know that people may not agree with the rules but really that doesn't matter at this point because the NFL has decided that they want this kind of thing to stop.

Ridiculous suspension, Suspending a guy for hits made 1 and 2 years ago seriously? yep I saw a few of those hits they were hard hits and some helmet to helmet collisions but common sense would tell ya two bodies running at a high rate of speed in a collision sport is naturally going to produce helmet to helmet hits. Just another black eye for the joke that is Goodell, These hits wont stop no matter if you suspend, fine, or ban a player, why? because of the object of the game.....score and stop your opponent from scoring

I agree with Gavin, this is ridiculous, it's just a front. Sometimes I wonder if they realize slow motion isn't the speed of reality and offensive players often try to duck at the last second, how are defensive players supposed to adjust in a split second while still making the tackle? They can't and the NFL doesn't care because they are just want to be perceived like they're concerned about players health, while hurting the integrity of the game. And they still advertise how Violent the game is, i find that to be very Hypocritical . At times I think they made the right call, suspending players for vicious hits, this is not 1 of those times.

And suspending him for 1 head to head in 3 consecutive seasons is a joke, that's probably the case for most defensive starters because sometimes a head to head collision is unavoidable, this is a contact sport after all.

I agree with Gavin, this is ridiculous, it's just a front. Sometimes I wonder if they realize slow motion isn't the speed of reality and offensive players often try to duck at the last second, how are defensive players supposed to adjust in a split second while still making the tackle? They can't and the NFL doesn't care because they are just want to be perceived like they're concerned about players health, while hurting the integrity of the game. And they still advertise how Violent the game is, i find that to be very Hypocritical . At times I think they made the right call, suspending players for vicious hits, this is not 1 of those times.

And suspending him for 1 head to head in 3 consecutive seasons is a joke, that's probably the case for most defensive starters because sometimes a head to head collision is unavoidable, this is a contact sport after all.

but it wasn't unavoidable. sanders hadn't even taken a step yet and had just turned his head around which i assume would constitute a defenseless player...reed could have easily avoided the head area by making more of a form tackle and at least making an attempt to wrap up. in situations like this players can't just lower the head and shoulder and go for a big hit.

First, I'm glad it was reduced to a fine only. Second, I'm glad there was a fine! Players have to learn who and what defenseless is. They can hit hard, they can hit helmet to helmet. Just NOT against a defenseless player! If a defender is going to hit a receiver hard in the neck / head area, they had better be certain the player has fully established himself as a runner and is no longer considered a receiver in the act of catching a pass. The NFL is taking a hard stance on this and the (almost) suspension was a high visibility warning shot over the bow (checkbook?). or get your hand in there to break up the pass, or hit hard as the catch is made but low or to the side enough to avoid the helmet to helmet contact. Players have to adapt and learn new techniques, coaches have to adapt and teach new techniques, or suffer the consequences. (in game penalty, after games fine, maybe even suspension)

The defensive (actually, about all) players are so strong and fast these days, the league is proactively protecting players from not only career threatening, but mainly lifestyle threatening injuries. These head shots to defenseless players are potentially problematic in the courts much further down the road. The league is clear about their stance on this and no amount of chirping about it from fans, coaches, or players is going to change this. We all have to get used to it.

but it wasn't unavoidable. sanders hadn't even taken a step yet and had just turned his head around which i assume would constitute a defenseless player...reed could have easily avoided the head area by making more of a form tackle and at least making an attempt to wrap up. in situations like this players can't just lower the head and shoulder and go for a big hit.

He was trying to jar the ball out before it became a completed pass, Reed wasn't going for the head, the WR lowered his head a split second before the hit. Hitting should be allowed in the game and maybe players should be required to sign a form Acknowledging that they are putting their health at risk. This lawyering up of the game for legal brownie points is going to hurt the integrity of the game.

He was trying to jar the ball out before it became a completed pass, Reed wasn't going for the head, the WR lowered his head a split second before the hit. Hitting should be allowed in the game and maybe players should be required to sign a form Acknowledging that they are putting their health at risk. This lawyering up of the game for legal brownie points is going to hurt the integrity of the game.

it doesn't matte what his intent was. with the new rules he has to be more careful. plus, i'm not sure whacking a guy on the opposite side he is carrying the ball is the best way to stop a completion...been better off putting his shoulder into his ribs.

and to imply that hitting isn't allowed is just laughable. fact is, it's still a brutal game with the new rules...and it always will be. and the new rules aren't just about the lawsuits, it's about not freaking out parents every time they see a player on espn crumble to the ground after taking a shot to the head. the nfl has to worry about the future of the sport..and lessening blows to the head doesn't effect my enjoyment of the sport one bit.

it doesn't matte what his intent was. with the new rules he has to be more careful. plus, i'm not sure whacking a guy on the opposite side he is carrying the ball is the best way to stop a completion...been better off putting his shoulder into his ribs.

and to imply that hitting isn't allowed is just laughable. fact is, it's still a brutal game with the new rules...and it always will be. and the new rules aren't just about the lawsuits, it's about not freaking out parents every time they see a player on espn crumble to the ground after taking a shot to the head. the nfl has to worry about the future of the sport..and lessening blows to the head doesn't effect my enjoyment of the sport one bit.

what exactly does "more careful" mean because I seem to remember a play last year made by JJ Watt on Kerry Collins where Watt went completely out of his way to wrap up Collins waist and legs and Collins helmet still grazed Watts helmet and he was flagged for that (not sure about fined though) Intent is everything in my opinion and should be taken into account, This helmet to helmet rule is not clear and thats where the problem is. Then there was a play made a few years ago made by Brandon Merriweather(then withthe Pats where Heap was airborn and Merriweather took the oppurtunity to rear his helmet up and it into Heaps helmet (Intent)

what exactly does "more careful" mean because I seem to remember a play last year made by JJ Watt on Kerry Collins where Watt went completely out of his way to wrap up Collins waist and legs and Collins helmet still grazed Watts helmet and he was flagged for that (not sure about fined though) Intent is everything in my opinion and should be taken into account, This helmet to helmet rule is not clear and thats where the problem is. Then there was a play made a few years ago made by Brandon Merriweather(then withthe Pats where Heap was airborn and Merriweather took the oppurtunity to rear his helmet up and it into Heaps helmet (Intent)

so you're saying refs blow calls? they do that every weekend on everything from holding to pass interference.

so you're saying refs blow calls? they do that every weekend on everything from holding to pass interference.

But there is the difference in a missed call (which doesn't happen nearly as much as some would say) and a judgment call and the Watt hit is and should have been a judgment call NOT a call predetermined to be a penalty by the league which the refs have already came out and said they were unsure of (speaking about what is helmet to helmet)

Edit: Am I the only one that see's part of what I typed out underlined? not sure what I did, It wasn't intentional

I'm not talking about intent, I'm talking about a offensive player lowering his head, resulting in a head to head hit. Sure in slow motion it looks like there is time for a defender to lower his pads even more. Some hits are going to be unavoidable and should be expected.

But there is the difference in a missed call (which doesn't happen nearly as much as some would say) and a judgment call and the Watt hit is and should have been a judgment call NOT a call predetermined to be a penalty by the league which the refs have already came out and said they were unsure of (speaking about what is helmet to helmet)

Edit: Am I the only one that see's part of what I typed out underlined? not sure what I did, It wasn't intentional

I completely agree with the underlined statement.

pass interference is a judgement call...and they mangle them far worse than anything else. and honestly a lot of holding is a judgement call...because lets face it, linemen hold on every play, but unless they make it totally obvious they usually don't call it.

I'm not talking about intent, I'm talking about a offensive player lowering his head, resulting in a head to head hit. Sure in slow motion it looks like there is time for a defender to lower his pads even more. Some hits are going to be unavoidable and should be expected.

fine...but when it comes to a defenseless player lowering his head a bit it shouldn't be that difficult to avoid it. now if you're talking a guy running with the ball..that's different..and he isn't protected.

pass interference is a judgement call...and they mangle them far worse than anything else. and honestly a lot of holding is a judgement call...because lets face it, linemen hold on every play, but unless they make it totally obvious they usually don't call it.

How is PI a judgement call? ya touch a WR beyond 5 yards BOOM its a penalty ( I dont like the rule by the way) UNLESS feet get tangled

How is PI a judgement call? ya touch a WR beyond 5 yards BOOM its a penalty ( I dont like the rule by the way) UNLESS feet get tangled

i've seen plenty of times when guys pull shoulders at the last minute of two guys are throwing stiff arms, etc where refs let it go...it's just a matter of how far the ref will let it go. holding after 5 is almost automatic....

He was trying to jar the ball out before it became a completed pass,

You can still hit and jar it loose, but you have to do it without infringing on the neck/head area. High hits invite, launching (illegal), or leading with the helmet (illegal), something the leagues definitely wants to steer away from. Also, the league has made it possible to get an incompletion without jarring hits. That dreaded control all the way through the complete play rule. Rip the ball out at any time and it is no catch. Happening more and more now. No concussions either.

Reed wasn't going for the head, the WR lowered his head a split second before the hit. Hitting should be allowed in the game and maybe players should be required to sign a form Acknowledging that they are putting their health at risk. This lawyering up of the game for legal brownie points is going to hurt the integrity of the game.

Hitting is fully allowed in the game, just no helmet to head/neck area against players that at that moment cannot protect/defend themselves from the hit. (QB's throwing the ball and Receivers catching it).

Times have changed, and so has many things. This isn't the football I grew up with. It is what it is and I have to adjust to it. When I was a kid, neither I nor my parents ever wore seat belts. You get a ticket and fine if you and, especially the kids, aren't buckled in any more. I never wore elbow/knee pads and a helmet when I tore up the neighborhood as a child on my Schwinn Sting-Ray Lemon Peeler with Cheater slick. :) My kids have it on whenever biking and rollerblading.

The games is still brutal for the players. Let's keep their noggins intact though.

i've seen plenty of times when guys pull shoulders at the last minute of two guys are throwing stiff arms, etc where refs let it go...it's just a matter of how far the ref will let it go. holding after 5 is almost automatic....

I miss the old days when it comes let wr's and Corners fight for the ball

I miss the old days when it comes let wr's and Corners fight for the ball

Sometimes you get the impression they are trying to recoup monies lost in concussion lawsuit settlements with this over the top environment of heavy fines for the smallest infraction. Over the past 2 or 3 years I've seen so many petty fines for pop warner type hits it's crazy. As many players have complained, the intent is not clear.

Sometimes you get the impression they are trying to recoup monies lost in concussion lawsuit settlements with this over the top environment of heavy fines for the smallest infraction. Over the past 2 or 3 years I've seen so many petty fines for pop warner type hits it's crazy. As many players have complained, the intent is not clear.

Goodells reign of being commissioner is not even clear as far as I am concerned in terms of what his agendas are

Goodells reign of being commissioner is not even clear as far as I am concerned in terms of what his agendas are

I'm so ready for Goodell to leave it's unreal! You hit the nail on the head when using the word "reign". He certainly acts as if he's some kind of a King.

Goodell was Tagliabue's right hand man. Essentially, it is move forward with all Paul did right, such as clean up the sport (substance abuse policy), increase overseas exposure, increase revenues, etc.. and eliminate what didn't work so well (Expansion into small markets that may or continue to flail like Jax, Carolina). He also hammered out a CBA that the owners wanted (more back to them). So if Bryant Gumball (excuse me, Gumbel) thought Paul Tagliabue had Gene Upshaw by a leash, I wonder what his feelings on Goodell and Maurice Smith are?

The money to defend against, and also help prevent later lawsuits comes out of the owners pockets, not the players. It appears to me they're going to restrict the life altering style of play to reduce or better defend against future lawsuits. And, that is an interesting thought, can the league use the fines as a hedge for a lawsuit losses? Hmmmm

Cry all you want but there is a 10 year CBA. Goodell has absolute power for the next decade.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/unfairacts