Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O Line blocking assignments

Gavin

First I want to say this isnt an O Line bashing thread, we know that we have issues on the O Line and that those wont right themselves overnight but has anyone that really knows the game of football (Superman,Coffee) questioned the blocking assignments of the O Line at times. I have seen on more then 1 occasion now that Olsen was required to come up all the way out of his position and pass block a blitzing linebacker, the pressure by Chris Wilson at about the 4:00 mark of the 1st quarter.That just looked like a questionable decision to me. Thoughts? Obviously I am learning or trying to learn

First I want to say this isnt an O Line bashing thread, we know that we have issues on the O Line and that those wont right themselves overnight but has anyone that really knows the game of football (Superman,Coffee) questioned the blocking assignments of the O Line at times. I have seen on more then 1 occasion now that Olsen was required to come up all the way out of his position and pass block a blitzing linebacker, the pressure by Chris Wilson at about the 4:00 mark of the 1st quarter.That just looked like a questionable decision to me. Thoughts? Obviously I am learning or trying to learn

honestly? and this is just my opinion... this is a rebuilt line. they have to get use to working together and communicating. they will figure it out and be fine. now obviously we do have an issue on the right side of the line. Justice is just not cutting it. but that is the joys of players getting cut, a linemen is bound to be cut even if he is good. so i can see the colts addressing that issue in the next week or two.

The play I remember that was like you describe was a play action pass. Pulling the guard was part of that play action, and Olsen wasn't able to get in position to block the OLB that was uncovered. Pretty tough assignment in that much space against that kind of athlete.

To me the assignment should have been drawn up for our LG (Reitz) to come up out his block to pull Chris Wilson out of the play or for Allen to shift in motion to at least bump and run Chris for a dump off over Chris's head for a nice completion (which in turn I would think would slow down the blitz because now the Linebacker (Wilson in that situation) has to think about that Tight End. Just My thoughts as to what I would have done

Looking back at the history of other teams with rebuilt o-lines, how long did it take them to come together? It will probably be 4 - 6 (maybe more) games before that look of utter confusion goes away. Then, the penny drops, and the light comes on ...

Hopefully, the o-line is spending time together away from the field (and not just in the training room).

The line looks tentative as though still unsure exactly what their assignments are. There was some confusion and not being certain makes them a half step slow. Let's see. They may improve as assignments become second nature. Sure looks like uncertainty is a factor right now.