Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Gives Peyton Update In The Middle Of The Game

GoColts8818

Jim Irsay was on the broad cast for an interview. he was asked about Peyton's health and he said they HOPE he is ready for the Texans game but that isn't a sure bet. He said it was day-to-day if he'll be back in time. He says they would look at a vet back up if they were unsure about Peyton's status for the Texans game and they weren't happy with the QBs they have. Not the best news in the world.

I hope Peyton does play I really do and I am not going to try to stir up fear but I just wanted to point out Irsay did seem to be going out of his way to make sure it was known he wasn't doing the normal Colts thing of not giving news. So I do think there is some fear that might miss some time due to this. Again not time to panic yet but I just wantd to point that part out.

Jim Irsay was on the broad cast for an interview. he was asked about Peyton's health and he said they HOPE he is ready for the Texans game but that isn't a sure bet. He said it was day-to-day if he'll be back in time. He says they would look at a vet back up if they were unsure about Peyton's status for the Texans game and they weren't happy with the QBs they have. Not the best news in the world.

We need a decent backup anybody culepepper what you guys think?

I hope Peyton does play I really do and I am not going to try to stir up fear but I just wanted to point out Irsay did seem to be going out of his way to make sure it was known he wasn't doing the normal Colts thing of not giving news. So I do think there is some fear that might miss some time due to this. Again not time to panic yet but I just wantd to point that part out.

Given the game of musical chairs scenario also known as our offensive line. The fact Manning isn't getting reps with them so they learn his cadence signals via audibles and the fact it will be roaring loud in Reliant on the opener, it may be in Peyton's best interest to sit the Texans game out. I say send Peyton out for one play so it's recorded as a start and then throw in Painter so he can absorb the abuse. I don't think it will really matter in the end as Colts will begin this season just like last year, 0-1.

If you want a decent back up Culepepper is not the answer. Frankly our best bet right now is probably to see if Sorgi has anything left he knows our offense very well and has looked decent with our starters in the past.

If you want a decent back up Culepepper is not the answer. Frankly our best bet right now is probably to see if Sorgi has anything left he knows our offense very well and has looked decent with our starters in the past.

If we are talking about backup qb's, our best bet is who we have. It guarantees the first pick of the draft next year. Quite frankly, without Manning behind center, i don't care who our qb is, this team is in the basement of the nfl.

If we are talking about backup qb's, our best bet is who we have. It guarantees the first pick of the draft next year. Quite frankly, without Manning behind center, i don't care who our qb is, this team is in the basement of the nfl.

No it doesn't because Peyton isn't going to miss all year, at most this is going ot cause him to miss a game or two. Sorgi at least gives you a chance to keep it close and steal a game. The guys we have now don't even give us that.

Never.

I done told you guys aint no surprise they tried to sure up the defense like that with getting all those guys.

What did you just say?

The only thing you did correctly with this comment, was spell Manning's name. Other than that, the rest can be deleted, forgotten about, and never mentioned again.

I might get slammed for this, but we should have grabbed Vince Young for a backup.

Why? He clearly has some issues of his own right to start with but I can even get past that. My issue with him is the sameone I have with Pryor. He just doesn't fit our system. What he does well is stuff we never ask our QBs to do and what we need our QBs to do he is not very good at.

This scares me. If there is any doubt that Manning can start the season, then they need the guy that is going to be throwing passes in Game 1 on the roster NOW. If it is one of the QBs that are currently on the roster, then so be it. (I say that having not seen any preseason games.) If they think they might need a veteran backup to play in real games until Manning comes back, then they need to get that guy on the roster NOW. They need to be working him with the first team as much as possible in preseason. They can't just go out and sign a veteran QB the week before Game 1, throw him into the offense, and expect anything remotely good to happen. They need to get that QB on the roster as soon as possible so that they can start familiarizing him with the offense. Time is of the essence. It is the only way that the Colts would have even a remote chance of salvaging a win or two while Manning is out.

I'm not worried, Peyton is going to play in the opener against Houston. This is the same Peyton Manning who missed 1 snap after his jaw was broken. This isn't going to keep him out. He'll be here. :manning:

I'm not worried, Peyton is going to play in the opener against Houston. This is the same Peyton Manning who missed 1 snap after his jaw was broken. This isn't going to keep him out. He'll be here. :manning:

Everyone read this post please and stop worrying. Im going to put it in my sig so people understand. People were thinking the same thing in 2008. He's fine and he'll be ready week 1. ill bet anything on it.

Everyone read this post please and stop worrying. Im going to put it in my sig so people understand. People were thinking the same thing in 2008. He's fine and he'll be ready week 1. ill bet anything on it.

One thing is different he was never on the PUP list on 2008. Also did warm ups with the team before game three of the pre-season that year. So it's not exactly like 2008 but my guess with Manning is that unless there is a chance he could be hurt worse from playing he's going to play.

Culpepper has not played since 2009, that would be a project to get him playing again. Your best hope is to pray very hard for Peyton's health. But if you can lure Dante out of retirement go for it. He would give the Colts the veteran QB you need for a back up if he is serviceable.

I guarantee you that if the Colts felt in any way that Manning would not be ready by week 1 they would have someone here other than Painter and Orlovsky taking all the snaps.

Manning will be plenty ready for the Texans, the Colts are playing possum.

I guarantee you that if the Colts felt in any way that Manning would not be ready by week 1 they would have someone here other than Painter and Orlovsky taking all the snaps.

Manning will be plenty ready for the Texans, the Colts are playing possum.

What on earth do they gain from playing possum? It's not like the Texans aren't going to prepare for Peyton Manning like he's going to be 100%? If anything this gives them more reason to go after Manning if he does play. If the Colts were going to do anything to try to play possum it would be saying Peyton's going to play no questions asked and he'll be better than ever to try to get the Texans to focus on something else.

From the way Irsay was talking tonight it sounds like the Colts are starting to think about getting a vet QB.

I think unless Peyton has a chance of being hurt further by playing he'll play. I am just pointing out there seems to be some legit concern that he might not be ready. I don't like the news more than anyone else but it came right from the owner's mouth. Take it for what it's worth. Like Irsay said the hope is he'll play. I am just putting out information that people have been asking about, an update on Peyton Manning.

the Colts want the Texans "wondering" ... every NFL team does it.. Manning has been throwing for weeks. He will play.

Also, if this recovery was an "issue".. the team would not have bitten off such a huge commitment to Peyton.

Fear not Colt fans, just management and media drumming up suspense.

Week 1 prediction. Colts 41 Texans 21

the Colts want the Texans "wondering" ... every NFL team does it.. Manning has been throwing for weeks. He will play.

Also, if this recovery was an "issue".. the team would not have bitten off such a huge commitment to Peyton.

Fear not Colt fans, just management and media drumming up suspense.

Week 1 prediction. Colts 41 Texans 21

The Texans aren't going to wonder anything they are going to prepare for Peyton as if he's going to play regardless of what our owner says.

Yes we would have commited to Peyton Manning with a long term deal. We are talking about something that might cost him a week or two, you don't show your franchise the QB and maybe the best QB in the history of the NFL the door over something that might cost him a week or two. They were going to sign him long term regardless of his status following the neck surgery unless it was something that was going to end his career which it's pretty clear this isn't going to do.

Also you can call it what you want but I am telling I watched the interview and there was legit concern coming from Irsay. He isn't Polian, he has been nothing but honest when it comes to injury updates, to the point you can tell it upsets Polian. Like I said before it's not time to hit the panic button because Irsay also said they hope he will play week one. Just something to watch over the next couple of weeks.

Also, what's the one thing the Colts hate more than anything? Media attention? Talking about Peyton Manning maybe missing time isn't the best way to avoid that. There was no reason for Irsay to be just trying to drum up some suspense.

The Texans aren't going to wonder anything they are going to prepare for Peyton as if he's going to play regardless of what our owner says.

Yes we would have commited to Peyton Manning with a long term deal. We are talking about something that might cost him a week or two, you don't show your franchise the QB and maybe the best QB in the history of the NFL the door over something that might cost him a week or two. They were going to sign him long term regardless of his status following the neck surgery unless it was something that was going to end his career which it's pretty clear this isn't going to do.

Also you can call it what you want but I am telling I watched the interview and there was legit concern coming from Irsay. He isn't Polian, he has been nothing but honest when it comes to injury updates, to the point you can tell it upsets Polian. Like I said before it's not time to hit the panic button because Irsay also said they hope he will play week one. Just something to watch over the next couple of weeks.

Also, what's the one thing the Colts hate more than anything? Media attention? Talking about Peyton Manning maybe missing time isn't the best way to avoid that. There was no reason for Irsay to be just trying to drum up some suspense.

Yes I watched the game. And "the last thing the Colts want is MEDIA ATTENTION" are you kidding me? Irsay could very well become the spokesperson for TWITTER. He is a media hound... he loves it. AND, he knows how to UTILIZE it. :ninja:

Manning is fine.

Yes I watched the game. And "the last thing the Colts want is MEDIA ATTENTION" are you kidding me? Irsay could very well become the spokesperson for TWITTER. He is a media hound... he loves it. AND, he knows how to UTILIZE it. :ninja:

Manning is fine.

The Colts have gone out of their way over the years to avoid media attention. They don't like it. Jim Irsay being on twitter tends to get Jim Irsay not the Colts attention there is a difference. Talking about your franchise QB maybe not playing week one will get the Colts media attention.

Like I said before this is an update from the owner about Manning. It sounds like there is some concern. If you don't share his concern so be it.

The Colts have gone out of their way over the years to avoid media attention. They don't like it. Jim Irsay being on twitter tends to get Jim Irsay not the Colts attention there is a difference. Talking about your franchise QB maybe not playing week one will get the Colts media attention.

Like I said before this is an update from the owner about Manning. It sounds like there is some concern. If you don't share his concern so be it.

If you really think the owner of the Colts is going to go on a nationally televised game and "speculate" about "TRUE" info leading up to the kickoff of the season then ????

Now I can believe he is more than willing to go on air and "speculate" about "rumors" and misdirection. It's the game outside the game.

If Irsay's golden boy had any chance of being down there is no way in heck he is signed or his backups / starters going into the season would be Laurel and Hardy.

Relax everyone, Manning will be front and center at kickoff Week 1.

I saw the interview as well, and Irsay said something to the effect of Manning is literally a day to day decision, and that saying that wasn't a cryptic and generic media message, that the hope is he'll be back to action soon, and be the starter in week 1.

From various reports he was throwing earlier this week in personal workouts, I think he was almost a go to start practicing this week, but at that point I would think he would want to start practicing in private, not in full view of 9,000 fans and media reps. The media is desperate for news, and one bad throw, or squint of the eyes, the media would cry out that Peyton is done. He'll be there week 1. He's tough. GO :coltslogo:

I saw the interview as well, and Irsay said something to the effect of Manning is literally a day to day decision, and that saying that wasn't a cryptic and generic media message, that the hope is he'll be back to action soon, and be the starter in week 1.

From various reports he was throwing earlier this week in personal workouts, I think he was almost a go to start practicing this week, but at that point I would think he would want to start practicing in private, not in full view of 9,000 fans and media reps. The media is desperate for news, and one bad throw, or squint of the eyes, the media would cry out that Peyton is done. He'll be there week 1. He's tough. GO :coltslogo:

Very great point, the media are hounds from the depths of oblivion and would feed off any visible issues with Manning playing. I would hate to see the NFL channel reports specially from Mr. La Confora if Peyton was doing anything sub par that the media could see visibly. It would just blow things out of proportion.

:banana: No qb will fit our system like Peyton but we better find someone that can learn the system and quick. I would love a Vince Young or someone that can run and gun. Painter is not good and once the Colts Org admit this then they can move on and acquire a qb for our offense. How long do we have to wait on them to realize that we need a qb? Some of the other teams back up qbs are looking good but painter what a joke. :banana: