Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Big Miami Controversy

CjMcGirt23

I have a serious issue w/ players taking money. I also have a serious issue w/ people advocating college players getting paid. They get a degree. Whether or not they choose to take advantage of that and apply themselves and obtain a useful degree is not up to the university. The players get essentially a blank diploma. Its up to the students to determine what to do w/ it.

Even the players who don't get full rides still get access to private tutors, study materials and even in some cases (Purdue for example) their own study center that is off limits to non-student athletes. Oh they also get their own dining court.

The issue I have w/ universities paying for players is that it creates an unfair advantage. It all but eliminates the Cinderella team from being a legit chance. Allow colleges to indirectly or directly pay and you'll have an even larger disparity in the NCAA.

I definitely have to agree that paying college athletes would be ridiculous. Treatment should be no different then a typical student. If they work hard, get good grades ect, they are rewarded with an education and the possibility of going pro, which are both major rewards in it's own right.

I definitely have to agree that paying college athletes would be ridiculous. Treatment should be no different then a typical student. If they work hard, get good grades ect, they are rewarded with an education and the possibility of going pro, which are both major rewards in it's own right.

Why should they get treated as the typical students when they're not? Typical students just go to class and do their own thing for themselves. Athletes contribute making millions of dollars for universities and the NCAA. Each athlete on gives about 60 hours a week to their team, while the typical student is able to go out and make money in the same 60 hours. And I know what the universities do with this money too. The University of Miami built new buildings from the profit of the 2001 National Championship team, and last year Donna Shalala put millions and millions of dollars into our medical school, a lot of that profit was from the athletic teams. The athletic department got 5% of the school's money last year while the rest got put into the educational field. So these guys do way more than the typical students for their university so why should they get treated like a typical student. I'm not saying pay them NFL salaries but give them enough money so they don't have to go out and do something illegal.

Why should they get treated as the typical students when they're not? Typical students just go to class and do their own thing for themselves. Athletes contribute making millions of dollars for universities and the NCAA. Each athlete on gives about 60 hours a week to their team, while the typical student is able to go out and make money in the same 60 hours. And I know what the universities do with this money too. The University of Miami built new buildings from the profit of the 2001 National Championship team, and last year Donna Shalala put millions and millions of dollars into our medical school, a lot of that profit was from the athletic teams. The athletic department got 5% of the school's money last year while the rest got put into the educational field. So these guys do way more than the typical students for their university so why should they get treated like a typical student. I'm not saying pay them NFL salaries but give them enough money so they don't have to go out and do something illegal.

Typical students don't get a free education worth over $100,000 due to their ability to play a game.

How can they work in the summer? They have practice..

I was not aware they had practice from the time they get up of a morning till the time they hit the bed at night. :rolleyes: It makes ya wonder just how so many of them find the time to get in trouble with them at practice 16/17 hrs. a day.

Firstly, I do not think anyone should place much gravity to this unless it can be indisputably proven. The whistle blower is a scamming, lying, thieving, felonious piece of garbage that deserves to have his skull kicked in. Unless he has proof, then his claims should be disregarded.

Secondly, as much revenue as these athletes draw, I would think its about time they receive some due compensation apart from their scholarships. The business that is the NCAA is dubious at best and I find it odd that they are so ardently opposed to student athletes receiving kickbacks.

Explain to me why I should care if Vince Wilfork got him some bling and an Escalade for his service to the 'U'? How does this hurt anyone or create a conflict of interests? What, the coach can make a million mint but the student gets a degree that may or may not benefit him in the distant future?

Yeah Nevin Shapiro is one giant peice of  who needs to be  = .... His whole life has been based on fraudulent, scamming, illegal activities on a monumental scale.

Typical students don't get a free education worth over $100,000 due to their ability to play a game.

I've already had a post explaining that a lot of players take money from boosters like Nevin Shapiro because they come from a poor family that can barely feed themselves, and the kids have no money themselves. If you can pay the full price to go to a private university like Miami, chances are you come from a very high class family and don't need to worry about them.

I've already had a post explaining that a lot of players take money from boosters like Nevin Shapiro because they come from a poor family that can barely feed themselves, and the kids have no money themselves. If you can pay the full price to go to a private university like Miami, chances are you come from a very high class family and don't need to worry about them.

Problem is, the typical student isn't one who comes from a high-class family that can afford to pay the full price for a school like Miami. Most of the students there, I'd bet, are graduating in debt up to their eyeballs.

I bet kids who get an academic scholorship can work at a car dealership, or have someone buy them dinner..

How many kids do you know to have received an academic scholarship sufficient to cover tuition, fees, and room and board at a private university like Miami?

How many kids do you know to have received an academic scholarship sufficient to cover tuition, fees, and room and board at a private university like Miami?

My wife works in the library at University of Notre Dame. She knows quite a few.. I however do not know any..

My wife works in the library at University of Notre Dame. She knows quite a few.. I however do not know any..

I'm suspicious because the value of such a thing at ND has to be at least $40,000 a year. But to the extent that such things might exist, I'd bet a healthy sum that the number of students with them is significantly lower than the number of full-scholarship football and basketball players there.

I'm suspicious because the value of such a thing at ND has to be at least $40,000 a year. But to the extent that such things might exist, I'd bet a healthy sum that the number of students with them is significantly lower than the number of full-scholarship football and basketball players there.

Ofcoarse it lower.. That would go without saying.. However it doesnt change the fact they can receive benefits athletes cant..

Ofcoarse it lower.. That would go without saying.. However it doesnt change the fact they can receive benefits athletes cant..

I stated in a previous post that I have no problem with modest stipends to allow the student-athletes to afford a movie or pizza now and then. But beyond that, do you really expect me to feel sorry for people who are getting a free education from a top university worth over $100,000, only because they are good at playing football and not their academic ability?

I stated in a previous post that I have no problem with modest stipends to allow the student-athletes to afford a movie or pizza now and then. But beyond that, do you really expect me to feel sorry for people who are getting a free education from a top university worth over $100,000, only because they are good at playing football and not their academic ability?

Just because it costs $100,000 doesnt mean its worth $100,000.. Im not advocating paying them to play.. But some of the rules are stupid. The kids at OSU sold rings that were given to them.. So basically they cant even have a garage sale (not that that is how they sold them) seems pretty dumb...

The difference is that the "typical students" pay for the university. The "typical students" pay to go to school. They aren't afforded free tuition, private tutors, and access to resources that "typical students" aren't allowed access to.

Free tuition (a free education in a capitalistic society where nothing of quality is free) and access to resources us normies could never get make up for that. Heck tutors for every subject alone would cost more than the vast majority of students who work in a week could afford, so right there they're ahead of "typical students".

And athletes get benefits that non athletes can't get. Free tutors and study sessions are worth more than what the vast majority of students working at a typical job make a week.

Just because it costs $100,000 doesnt mean its worth $100,000.. Im not advocating paying them to play.. But some of the rules are stupid. The kids at OSU sold rings that were given to them.. So basically they cant even have a garage sale (not that that is how they sold them) seems pretty dumb...

That's a weak argument. They can't sell things that were earned through football while they are still active in NCAA sports. The argument that they can't have a garage sale is baseless, and is in fact incorrect. The NCAA only holds sway over things the kids gained during their tenure as NCAA athletes. At least as far as selling goods goes. They also can't sell autographs and they can't receive goods for free. Can they sell a TV the own, or a laptop? Of course, as the NCAA has no legal domain there.

Should they be allowed to sell their rings? I think so. Even their jerseys if they own them (some universities keep them.) Nonetheless, I'm against breaking stupid rules, as it's counter-productive and only hurts your argument.