Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 7 Passing Combinations in the NFL Today

Andy

There are a lot of great passing combinations out there, and today we break down the top 7 passing combos in the league today.

Rankings are based upon 3 criterias:

- Consistency through the years

- Last year's performance

- The talent/skills of the players

Here's the list (with ranked honorable mentions):

Honorable Mentions: 13. Andy Dalton & AJ Green, 12. Matt Ryan & Roddy White, 11. Aaron Rodgers & Jordy Nelson, 10. Eli Manning & Victor Cruz, 9. Ben Roethlisberger & Mike Wallace, 8. Drew Brees & Marques Colston

7. Aaron Rodgers & Greg Jennings

Since Aaron Rodgers became the starter in 2008, Greg Jennings has been his favorite target. It all started with their 5 catch 91 yard game against the Vikings in 2008, and they've been hot ever since. Late in games Aaron Rodgers, would always try to find Greg Jennings, and would almost always convert and win the game. They have a fantastic bond on the field and off the field. They have been consistent together for a while now, they had a great season last year considering Jennings was out for 3 games, and when healthy, both are perennial pro bowlers.

Average season together: 76 catches ,1211 yards, 9 TDs

6. Jay Cutler & Brandon Marshall

This may be their first season in Chicago, but it's not their first season together. Cutler and Marshall spent 4 years together before Cutler was traded to Chicago and Marshall to Miami. Before, both were known as a great duo, and good friends, communicating with each other even on seperate teams. They have a great bond on and off the field. When in Chicago, both had 3 consistent years (Cutler was injured in his rookie season, and Marshall barely played). Both are talented players, with Marshall being a perennial pro bowler, and Cutler on the verge of being there. This is their first year together in Chicago, as they were both on seperate teams last year.

Average season together (disregarding their first season due to Cutler's injury): 103 catches, 1236 yards, 8 TDs

5. Tom Brady & Rob Gronkowski

They've only been together for 2 years, but last's year season was record breaking and dominating. Rob Gronkowski set the record for most touchdowns by a tight end, while amassing 1300+ yards. In the last 2 years, they had 27 touchdowns together, 2nd most in the NFL. Gronkowski was one of the most dominant players last year using his size and strength to beat almost everybody. Touchdown wise, they've been very consistent, because they amassed a lot them, whereas yardage and catch wise, last season was more than double than Gronkowski's rookie year. Both are extremely talented players, with Tom Brady being one of the best quaterbacks of all time, and Gronkowski going to his first Pro Bowl with nearly 1 million votes.

Average season together: 61 catches, 937 yards, 13 TDs

4. Cam Newton & Steve Smith

Steve Smith has been one of the top receivers in the game for a long time now, and Cam Newton took him to an even higher level this past year. They've already formed a great bond together, and are looking to get better. That's scary. Steve Smith has been a perennial pro bowler (with the exception of two years) for a while now, and Newton made his first pro bowl this year, his rookie year. Both are very talented players, they had a phenomenal season together last year, and in my opinion, were the second best duo for last year only. They haven't been consistent as they've only had one year together, but they did have 6 100+ yard games this season with 11 5+ catch games. They'll be dominant for years to come.

Average season together: 79 catches, 1394 yards, 7 TDs

3. Matt Schaub & Andre Johnson

Matt Schaub have been a great duo since Matt Schaub joined the Texans in 2007. Johnson is definitely Schaub's favorite target, as they Texans really don't have any solid receivers to throw to. Before Arian Foster, these two guys were the offense, which is quite rare when you think about it. Although Schaub and Johnson struggle with injuries, when healthy, Johnson is a pro-bowler, and Schaub is an alternate. These guys have talent, they've been consistent together, and they were having a great season last year, before Johnson's injury. These guys were good for years, and will be good for years to come.

Average season together: 103 catches, 1382 yards, 9 TDs

2. Matthew Stafford & Calvin Johnson

These guys had a great year last year. Sorry, no they didn't, they had one of the best years a QB and WR could have. Stafford threw for over 5000 yards, and Johnson was the most dominant player in the league, catching 16 touchdowns and had nearly 1700 yards!! That's crazy! This was their breakout year, and they came with a bang! Both are very talented players, especially Johnson, who's arguably the most athletically gifted player in the league. Johnson is starting to become a perenial pro bowler, and Stafford may be there soon, but having Rodgers, Brees and now Newton in the same conference is going to be a tough feat to beat. Both are young superstars and had a phenomenal year.

Average season together: 86 catches, 1410 yards, 10 TDs

1. Tom Brady & Wes Welker

Surprised to see this over Calvin Johnson and Stafford, even after that season. There's one reason why, they've been better for a longer time. They've been consistent, which is one of my criterias in which they are being graded on. They've been great for 4 out of 5 years now. Both are perenial pro bowlers, and Brady is one of the best quarterbacks of all time. Welker is a perenial pro bowler. They also had a phenomenal year last year. They killed each of the criteria, and that's why they're number 1.

Average season together: 111 catches, 1235, 7 TDs

What do you think of the list?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, July 11, 2012 - spam
Hidden by Nadine, July 11, 2012 - spam

The New Orleans Saints are going from a blitz-heavy, run-yourself-out-of-the-play type of defense to one more focused on using stunts and schematic measures, and Saints fans are going to notice the difference immediately...http://www.super-cheapjerseys.com

9. Ben Roethlisberger & Mike Wallace,

8. Drew Brees & Marques Colston

How can those two not be on the list and Camp Newton and Steve Smith be on the list?

Wallace has more touchdowns the last two years than Steve Smith does in the last 3 years and Cam Newton had a heck of a rookie year but its only 1 year

Drew Brees & Marques Colston-that combination has a championship together. Colstom also has more touchdowns in the last 2 years then Steve Smith

Eli and Cruz were pretty solid; I see you have them as an honourable mention, but I would probably have put them 9 or 10. I don't think Greg Jennings and Aaron set themselves apart from other duos because Rodgers has made it work with so many different weapons. Jennings is the number 1 on that team, but Finley is a decent pass catcher and Jordy Nelson had a really good year too.

But well deserved.

Brady (with Welker and Gronk), Bree (with Colston and Graham), and Rodgers (with anybody on his team) could all have multiple mentions.

Great list, though!

stafford to johnson is a way better combination

9. Ben Roethlisberger & Mike Wallace,

8. Drew Brees & Marques Colston

How can those two not be on the list and Camp Newton and Steve Smith be on the list?

Wallace has more touchdowns the last two years than Steve Smith does in the last 3 years and Cam Newton had a heck of a rookie year but its only 1 year

Drew Brees & Marques Colston-that combination has a championship together. Colstom also has more touchdowns in the last 2 years then Steve Smith

Steve Smith had Jimmy Clausen 2 years ago... everyone would have sucked with him.

Any list that doesn't have Ryan/White in the top 3 is wrong.

Last 3 years combined for 300rec. 3838yds, 29tds.

Without looking I'm willing to bet over a 3yr span that's the most yds between a QB/WR, 2nd in rec/td....anyone verify?

Steve Smith had Jimmy Clausen 2 years ago... everyone would have sucked with him.

in 2009? Steve Smith still had the same number of touchdowns as he did with Cam Newton (7) only difference is with Clausen is Steve Smith had 400 more yards and 14 more receptions which is quite a bit but still 7 touchdowns

Top 7 passing combinations today should not be purely based on 2011, one should take about 3 years of stats and compile them. Cam Newton would not even make the list then. Continuity is necessary for such a ranking, otherwise one year wonders will make the list and the ranking becomes diluted, IMO. Otherwise, Pierre Garcon and Curtis Painter should be on this list with 947 yards and 6 TDs for Garcon :).

Personally, to me, Tom Brady and Wes Welker would still be No.1 but Matt Ryan and Roddy White could be No.2. I will just leave it at that. Brady to Gronkowski and Brees to Graham is a matter of time before the 3 year worth of stats will put them at the top.

Top 7 passing combinations today should not be purely based on 2011, one should take about 3 years of stats and compile them. Cam Newton would not even make the list then. Continuity is necessary for such a ranking, otherwise one year wonders will make the list and the ranking becomes diluted, IMO. Otherwise, Pierre Garcon and Curtis Painter should be on this list with 947 yards and 6 TDs for Garcon :).

Personally, to me, Tom Brady and Wes Welker would still be No.1 but Matt Ryan and Roddy White could be No.2. I will just leave it at that. Brady to Gronkowski and Brees to Graham is a matter of time before the 3 year worth of stats will put them at the top.

I posted this before my rankings:

I posted this before my rankings:

So 100/1279/10tds avg yr for White/Ryan is only good for 12th place even though that is arguably better than everyone on the list? And in most cases a longer, more accurate time frame?

So 100/1279/10tds avg yr for White/Ryan is only good for 12th place even though that is arguably better than everyone on the list? And in most cases a longer, more accurate time frame?

Couldnt agree more. Ryan and White were the first tandem that came to my mind since I felt that those two have the best chance to get close to Montana-Rice or Young-Rice like numbers and will end up finishing top 7 ALL TIME, unfortunately they could not make the top 7 in this list. :mindblow:

Any list that doesn't have Ryan/White in the top 3 is wrong.

Last 3 years combined for 300rec. 3838yds, 29tds.

Without looking I'm willing to bet over a 3yr span that's the most yds between a QB/WR, 2nd in rec/td....anyone verify?

They actually combined for less yardes than Welker/Brady as Ryan missed Week 14 and Week 15 in 2009. It's together, not just the receiver.

Brady and Welker averaged 117 catches, 1469 yards, 8 TDs a season over the past 3 seasons together

Ryan and White averaged 104 catches ,1288 yards, 9 TDs a season over the past 3 seasons together

Thinking about it now, I'd put them in front of Rodgers/Nelson, and Cruz/Manning, but that's it. They're 10th at best. The reason they are lower than expected is because they aren't great in the 3rd criteria. Both are talented, but they fail to make all pro teams, and fail to show up in big games. Also, they've been consistent for only 3 years, whereas most of the duos in the top 7 have been for longer than 5 years. I've changed them to 10th, and a good year could move them into the top 7.

in 2009? Steve Smith still had the same number of touchdowns as he did with Cam Newton (7) only difference is with Clausen is Steve Smith had 400 more yards and 14 more receptions which is quite a bit but still 7 touchdowns

If you're playing that game, then Javarris James must have been better or as good as Ray Rice in 2009, because he had 1 more touchdown than him. Don't play the touchdown game. You said it yourself, he had 400 more yards and 14 more receptions. That's a heck of a lot.

If you're playing that game, then Javarris James must have been better or as good as Ray Rice in 2009, because he had 1 more touchdown than him. Don't play the touchdown game. You said it yourself, he had 400 more yards and 14 more receptions. That's a heck of a lot.

How is Steve Smiths 1394 yards and 7 touchdowns ahead Jordy Nelson 15 touchdowns and 1263 yards? even on consistency the Rodgers to Nelson connection have had more yards and touchdowns, now Steve Smith is a starter and more years under his belt but we are talking tandems here . Also Brady to Gronk has more touchdowns and only 27 less yards then Steve Smith and Cam

It's together, not just the receiver.

Thinking about it now, I'd put them in front of Rodgers/Nelson, and Cruz/Manning, but that's it. They're 10th at best. The reason they are lower than expected is because they aren't great in the 3rd criteria. Both are talented, but they fail to make all pro teams, and fail to show up in big games. Also, they've been consistent for only 3 years, whereas most of the duos in the top 7 have been for longer than 5 years. I've changed them to 10th, and a good year could move them into the top 7.

I think he did mention top 3 for Ryan and White, not THE TOP. So Brady & Welker was a given acknowledgement. Next, he did say Ryan & White, thus he did acknowledge it was together, not the receiver.

Cam Newton & Steve Smith (1 year), Brady & Gronkowski (2 years), Brady & Welker (exactly 5 years together, remember together, right? :) Welker signed in 2007), Stafford and Calvin Johnson (1 great year with Stafford fully healthy), Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall (you said it, 4 years). There goes your most of the duos in the top 7 have been for longer than 5 years theory in the dust. Peyton and Marvin Harrison were 0-3 to start their playoff careers as well (like Ryan and White), but have been voted as the top receiving tandem by NFL analysts, coaches and experts across the board. So, the playoff stat and big game talk is too early with a small sample space across the board, especially when compared to others in this list.

There are several technical flaws in this list and arguments since then that will not hold water with most posters, IMO. Sorry, not buying this top 7. It is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Whenever you make top 10s (or 7 in this case), you're going to have people who like it and hate it. Some guys like it and others don't. If any of you make a top 10, it would be the same thing. The only real thing that people don't like is that Roddy White and Matt Ryan are too low. Consistency wise, they are in the top 5. Talent wise, they are barely in the top 10. Last year's performance is barely in the top 10. I rounded it to a tie for 9th place (move them up a bit more).

Of your top 7, 2 of them havent even made an All-Pro team...Jennings/Marshall....

Steve Smith last made one in 2005....Oh, and he's 33....

Gronks a TE so its not comparable.

You talk about not showing up in big games, yet Roddy in 3 games has 22rec and 2Tds.....(For comparsion, Marvin Harrison played in 16games, and he had 65rec, 2 TDs, and they were both in the same game...)

I think there can be differences of opinion, but to leave off White/Ryan is just plain crazy.....Arguments can be made Ryan is a better QB than Cutler,Schuab,Newton and Stafford....And its easy to say Roddy is better than Jennings, Marshall, Smith....

There have been 6 All Pro WR in the last 4 years...One of them was Roddy White....(Andre/Fitz/Welker/White/Wayne/Calvin)

Oh, and saying he was barely Top 10 last year is off base...He only finished 2nd in Rec, 8th in yards, and 11th in TDs....