Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre-Training Camp Roster Predictions

FightLikeSin

They said something similar about Drew Stanton being a veteran leader. I don't believe he'll be a starter.

I don't think he's better than Reitz or Ijalana, so yes he is a back up in my mind just like he was last year.

I'll disagree with that all day and would love to see any evidence of that...ever.

Here is your mini camp depth chart from a couple of different sources. Looks like he's still a backup.

http://www.cbssports...ianapolis-colts

http://sports.yahoo..../ind/depthchart

guess mini camp doesn't matter. argue all you want. i know what i know. it doesn't matter what he is in your mind it matters what he is in paganos and grigsons mind. they targeted him to be the starting right guard. he isn't a player they inherited he's a player they pursued and landed. just like justice, satele etc.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess mini camp doesn't matter. argue all you want. i know what i know.

Thank you for proving my point. This shouldn't have been an argument in the first place. It's pretty well known that you hold mini-camps and training camps to determine your 53 man roster via competition and have all of your athletes battle for their position in the depth chart.

How do you "know what you know"? What is your source of absolute truth?

it doesn't matter what he is in your mind it matters what he is in paganos and grigsons mind.

Clearly...from the depth charts in mini-camp i'm spot on with what Grigson and Pagano thinks of him at this point.

he isn't a player they inherited he's a player they pursued and landed. just like justice, satele etc.

They also "pursued and landed" Mewelde Moore and Brandon McKinney, but it doesn't mean they'll start. And they shouldn't...

If he battles in training camp and gets a starting spot, great. Because he will have earned it. But no HC or GM will ever guarantee a starting spot to a player on a new team who was a backup the previous year on a cheap contract.

Now please...I've wasted too much time talking about Mike McGlynn, a backup Tackle.. Let's move on.

Thank you for proving my point. This shouldn't have been an argument in the first place. It's pretty well known that you hold mini-camps and training camps to determine your 53 man roster via competition and have all of your athletes battle for their position in the depth chart.

How do you "know what you know"? What is your source of absolute truth?

Clearly...from the depth charts in mini-camp i'm spot on with what Grigson and Pagano thinks of him at this point.

They also "pursued and landed" Mewelde Moore and Brandon McKinney, but it doesn't mean they'll start. And they shouldn't...

If he battles in training camp and gets a starting spot, great. Because he will have earned it. But no HC or GM will ever guarantee a starting spot to a player on a new team who was a backup the previous year on a cheap contract.

Now please...I've wasted too much time talking about Mike McGlynn, a backup Tackle.. Let's move on.

how are you spot on ? mcglynn has run with the first team at right guard since day 1. go by some websites speculation over what has been actually transpiring all you want. pagano and grigson have him as the starter you don't. i believe i'll take their evaluations over yours. at least they actually know the position he plays. nice research.

Those sites get their information from team sources. It's not speculation.McGlynn is playing with the first team offense for the same reason that Jeff Linkenbach and Seth Olson were playing LT and LG for the first team offense... Because Castonzo, Ijalana and Reitz are all sitting out with injuries.

I don't know what parallel universe you live in, where Mike McGlynn is the equivalent of Carl Nicks...but you shouldn't have such high expectations for him.

who compared him to nicks ? he's a good solid young veteran like satele and justice and the three of them will bring much needed stability to an o line that is crucial to andrew lucks development. no way grigson makes the public comments he has if it wasn't the case. continue to believe speculative websites. i'll believe what i see. opening day o line left to right, castonzo, reitz,satele,mcglynn and justice. solid.

I shouldn't get into the middle of somebody else's argument, but people really shouldn't go by depth charts from any other site other than Colts.com. they have no idea what they're talking about and just go off of speculation and nothing else. I said it before but McGlynn has emerged as the O-line leader in camp(stated by the coaches themselves). Does that make him the automatic starter? Of course not, but it does give him the inside track and it does sound like from different interviews I've heard, that Grigs appears to love the guy and his playing style.

Whalen was sub-par? According to who? The kid was a walk-on who turned into the teams leading receiver his senior year. That's sup-par? Look, I'm on record as saying he won't make the team. I think he's a nice college receiver, but not an NFL receiver. Could be wrong. But I think we have plenty of other candidates that have more NFL-level talent. I just don't think Griff was sub-par in college.

Perhaps I misunderstand your meaning?

He had a bit over 700 yards and 4TDs yards his senior year, and only had a 1000 yards over 4 years (though I realize a lot of this was not due to his general lack of production, but lack of play which does say a bit). In my opinion that's just not very impressive from a pass happy college perspective. Look, I've watched some Stanford games, he's caught some nice passes a few times. I don't dislike the guy and hope he exceeds expectations. However, my original intent was that Knight worded "No Griff Whalen?" like it was a surprise, so I voiced my opinion on Whalen. Compared to the other receivers on our roster it is no surprise to me if Whalen does not make the cut. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the roster either or perhaps after one of our zippy receivers inevitably goes down. lol

who compared him to nicks ? he's a good solid young veteran like satele and justice and the three of them will bring much needed stability to an o line that is crucial to andrew lucks development. no way grigson makes the public comments he has if it wasn't the case. continue to believe speculative websites. i'll believe what i see. opening day o line left to right, castonzo, reitz,satele,mcglynn and justice. solid.

you might think he's nothing special. the general manager sees him as the guy who sets the tone for the rest of the o linemen and as their leader. sounds like a backup to me.

Thank you for another useless piece of information that has nothing to do with how COACHES determine who gets a starting position by having them work and compete during training camp.

Let me wrap this up. It's my opinion that he is a backup, just like he has been before. I am not saying he can't be a starter. I'm saying you are crazy if you think that GM's and other football programs operate with words and feelings. They don't. So when you say "McGlynn is clearly the starter" and justify it because the GM thinks he's a "tone-setter"...you don't make much of a case or much sense. Because nothing is clear unless they have been a proven commodity in the past. McGlynn is new to the team, unproven as a starter and has plenty of competition to get the job. So it is UNCLEAR, clearly.

Grigson said this about T.Y Hilton :

"When you get a great player like that, electric like that, that is fun. I'm ecstatic about getting him"..."We had him targeted for a long time."

Electric, ecstatic...targeted for a long time. Those all sound like really big compliments from Grigson. Much better than "tone-setter". Will T.Y. start as a WR this year? Probably not. Because he has competition with Wayne, Collie, Avery and the rest of the WR corps. Just because the GM gives a player praise, doesn't mean that the player will get the start.

These references are not in short supply. A GM/Owner/Coach will always give a glowing review to players they add to their team, whether they are starting material or not. It's called "PR".

who would your starting O Line be come opening day if you had to pick, obviously we arent there to see for ourselves wh is doing good and really what is said about our O Line should be taken with a grain of salt, its far to early to be making the O Line choices given the Colts situation and the struggles we had last year with the O Line

Thank you for another useless piece of information that has nothing to do with how COACHES determine who gets a starting position by having them work and compete during training camp.

Let me wrap this up. It's my opinion that he is a backup, just like he has been before. I am not saying he can't be a starter. I'm saying you are crazy if you think that GM's and other football programs operate with words and feelings. They don't. So when you say "McGlynn is clearly the starter" and justify it because the GM thinks he's a "tone-setter"...you don't make much of a case or much sense. Because nothing is clear unless they have been a proven commodity in the past. McGlynn is new to the team, unproven as a starter and has plenty of competition to get the job. So it is UNCLEAR, clearly.

Grigson said this about T.Y Hilton :

"When you get a great player like that, electric like that, that is fun. I'm ecstatic about getting him"..."We had him targeted for a long time."

Electric, ecstatic...targeted for a long time. Those all sound like really big compliments from Grigson. Much better than "tone-setter". Will T.Y. start as a WR this year? Probably not. Because he has competition with Wayne, Collie, Avery and the rest of the WR corps. Just because the GM gives a player praise, doesn't mean that the player will get the start.

These references are not in short supply. A GM/Owner/Coach will always give a glowing review to players they add to their team, whether they are starting material or not. It's called "PR".

who would your starting O Line be come opening day if you had to pick, obviously we arent there to see for ourselves wh is doing good and really what is said about our O Line should be taken with a grain of salt, its far to early to be making the O Line choices given the Colts situation and the struggles we had last year with the O Line

LT - Castonzo

LG - Reitz

C - Satele

RG - Ijalana

RT - Justice

It's not much to get excited about...but I think it's logical. Like you said...it's too early to tell. We'll see how it pans out when training camp gets going.

Well you know how I am on Reitz, he doesnt have the nasty streak it appears or the leg strength to be a nasty run blocker, its logical given who started last season such as Satele, Reitz and Castonzo but I actually see Mcglynn starting over Ijalana, not necessarily because of more talent or that hes more physical, that I dont know but Ijalana is injured or coming off an injury, at this point I really think its Mcglynns to lose given Ijalanas injury and missed time

Could be, but if Ijalana is healthy, I'd hate to have another situation like Jerry Hughes where we use a high draft pick and then he never sees the field. This would of course be for a different reason...but I want to see what Ijalana can do. I thought he looked pretty good in the 3 games he played last year...but training camp will figure all that out i believe. If it's McGlynn, great. As long as the best man is in there to protect Luck.