Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 06/05 "Twosday Twofer"

sb41champs

Pat McAfee.....A good dinner then off to the bars for a few drinks and then a swim in the canal, does it get any funner than that?

I wouldn't call him a hero, but it is awesome that he donates proceeds from the sale of his t-shirts (due to his swim in the canal and subsequent trouble with the law) to charity. Had a cpl talks with him while he was signing autographs at training camp last year and the guy is a trip.

I don't know, maybe an older player if he enjoys sharing stories about "the good old days". But not necessarily a superstar, just a solid player who was there for a long time and saw a lot of things - like Jimmy Orr, Tom Matte, Rick Volk, Earl Morral, Bruce Laird, Don McCauley, Stan White, Roger Carr, etc.

But current players, or big stars? I don't know. I've never desired to spend personal time with any sports figure. I mean if you just happened to be friends with one that would be very cool, but I have no desire to spend an evening sitting across the table from someone who is just fulfilling some obligation by being there. What are the odds of there being anything to talk about - other than my asking a couple of dozen inane "gosh of golly aren't you wonderful" football questions which the player is sick of answering. The player would be bored and I'd feel like a sap - particularly since I likely have ten times the athletes general knowledge of (and interest in) the world around us, but I'd have to act like a sycophant just to hold his interest. The thought is embarrassing. Just because I enjoy watching someone on television..............................

Perfect example of the problem: Peyton is one of my favorite athletes ever, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I have virtually NOTHING in common with him outside the Colts. I honestly have no desire to have diner with him. That would likely be just incredibly uncomfortable.