Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown is NOT the Clear Cut Starter

Andy

I don't think ANYONE expected Brown to automactically Start since Addai went to New England. Now, he does have an Edge since he's pretty much the Veteran of the RB's. But that still doesn't Grant Brown a Starting Job. I have Faith that Pagano & his Offensive Staff will name the Starting RB based on who they see as the BEST Fit for our NEW Offensive System. IMO

and that back will be Donald Brown

When the Colts switch to the power running game. Brown will be the starter. carter as the fullback because he has shown he has power just needs to protect the ball. Brown isnt a every down back but he can carry the load. The running game will look like Baltimore running game with Jamal Lewis back in the day. Brown is going to be the starter. The only way that won't happen is if he breaks a leg our just does not show-up. Brown is capable but there has to be a back that can spell him from time to time. Go colts.

Then how does he explain us having Manning for 14 years and not being able to rush the ball ever since Edge left, we have always had significantly fewer rushing plays because Manning was pass happy see Manning is the greatest Colts Quarterback of all time but he should have called more running plays, that could have kept our defense off the field more often

.................Colts dominated a good Bear's defense on the ground in 06 Super Bowl...over 180 yds I think the year after Edge left....seems like some people think if you don't have a workhorse back who gets 120 yds at least 12 games a year and over 1500 total...you don't have a run game...I don't believe that......

.................Colts dominated a good Bear's defense on the ground in 06 Super Bowl...over 180 yds I think the year after Edge left....seems like some people think if you don't have a workhorse back who gets 120 yds at least 12 games a year and over 1500 total...you don't have a run game...I don't believe that......

I believe the problem with the Colts running game was the blocking more then the backs. When Edge was with the Colts the Colts ran more the offense was a little more balanced. When edge left that went away, because the line changed, Glenn gone, Scott gone they were the anchors of that line.

yes I agree the running game showed up then and also the defense they obviously both were great in that game

yes I agree the running game showed up then and also the defense they obviously both were great in that game

125 yards on 28 carries in the AFCCG. Addai with the clinching touchdown.

Put the game away on the ground against the Ravens.

The run game wasn't bad until 2008. Wasn't super-dominant before that, but it wasn't as bad as it's made out to be now. Manning wasn't the only good player we had.

I believe the problem with the Colts running game was the blocking more then the backs. When Edge was with the Colts the Colts ran more the offense was a little more balanced. When edge left that went away, because the line changed, Glenn gone, Scott gone they were the anchors of that line.

............I agree that the line deteriorated somewhat over time : Colts have struggled to replace Glenn, Meadows, Scott, Lija....and I agree that the ground game was better with James, but I aslo believe that the ground game was pretty good after James...James first 4 years: 4.1 ave per carry 31 rush TDs ......Addai's first 4 years 4.1 ave per carry 34 rush TD's....

............I agree that the line deteriorated somewhat over time : Colts have struggled to replace Glenn, Meadows, Scott, Lija....and I agree that the ground game was better with James, but I aslo believe that the ground game was pretty good after James...James first 4 years: 4.1 ave per carry 31 rush TDs ......Addai's first 4 years 4.1 ave per carry 34 rush TD's....

Nice egg I forgot about Lija and Meadows. Addai had his super bowl season but after that he fell off. And that is when the line was dis-mantled

125 yards on 28 carries in the AFCCG. Addai with the clinching touchdown.

Put the game away on the ground against the Ravens.

The run game wasn't bad until 2008. Wasn't super-dominant before that, but it wasn't as bad as it's made out to be now. Manning wasn't the only good player we had.

Manning certainly wasn't the only good player we had I know

Nice egg I forgot about Lija and Meadows. Addai had his super bowl season but after that he fell off. And that is when the line was dis-mantled

.......................don't mean to be argumentative..but this demonstates my point about fan perception. Ask any Colt fan, "first 4 years with the Colts, who had more rushing TD's, James, or Addai?"...the stat I quoted above is exactly true...Addai's first 4 years were comparable to James first 4....yet because James was a workhorse type back who shouldered the load almost alone in those 4 comparative years the main difference was James had more carries, thus more total yards. Addai, not as strong, not as durable shared carries with Rhodes, then Brown......even WITH James, in '02 the Colts ave 3.6 per carry...03 was 3.7 per carry...05, again 3.7.....That's why I believe it is significant that the Colts last year had a 4.2 yds per carry (with only 7 runs being more than 20 yds)....and Brown with 4.8...the big question to me is have Diem and Saturday been adiquately replaced....

.......................don't mean to be argumentative..but this demonstates my point about fan perception. Ask any Colt fan, "first 4 years with the Colts, who had more rushing TD's, James, or Addai?"...the stat I quoted above is exactly true...Addai's first 4 years were comparable to James first 4....yet because James was a workhorse type back who shouldered the load almost alone in those 4 comparative years the main difference was James had more carries, thus more total yards. Addai, not as strong, not as durable shared carries with Rhodes, then Brown......even WITH James, in '02 the Colts ave 3.6 per carry...03 was 3.7 per carry...05, again 3.7.....That's why I believe it is significant that the Colts last year had a 4.2 yds per carry (with only 7 runs being more than 20 yds)....and Brown with 4.8...the big question to me is have Diem and Saturday been adiquately replaced....

I like your point. You are spot on. Go Colts. True football fan, call it like it is.

I think I know what you're trying to say, that every team does RB by committee. I'm just don't think that's actually the case.

Most teams have a clear-cut primary back, and a 2nd back who is either a change-of-pace back, or a 3rd down back to catch passes out of the backfield. But, I don't think that's what Irsay is trying to say with RB by committee. At least, I don't think he's saying that. I think he's saying that all three primary guys, Brown, Carter and Ballard could all see extensive action regardless of down and distance and game situation. And I think that's different from what most teams do.

I'm not trying to be overly nuanced here.... just saying there's a difference between the two approaches. Now will it actually work out that way, or will one RB clearly take the position? Way too soon to know....

NewColtsFan

I agree, I understand that every team has a specailtty back. That is what I am saying. Just show me one team were one team has a lone RB. It just doesnt happen anymore. I wish it did.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a rediculous thing to say, especially considering he's run behind a mediocre O-line his whole career, including last year, when he averaged 4.2 yards/carry.

The average means little in the overall evaluations of his talent. He has a couple of long runs which skewered his average. A more objective measurement of his overall value how many quality runs has he made and how come he never won the starting role over Addai? Also he is not elusive, he can't elude tacklers, has little power as an inside runner and is a terrible pass blocker. You cannot be suckered in by his one long run against the Titans. Look at his overall body of work and tell me what other starting RB is he better than in the NFL?

Below are Donald Brown's rushings statistics from last year. He rushed the ball 134 times. Some people have claimed that he had a few long runs that skewed his average. This is mathematically untrue. Yes, his long runs did help his rushing average, but very marginally. When you have carried the ball 134 times your rushing average is a very good indicator of your overall performance.

It would be vastly different if he only ran the ball 20 times which also included an 80-yard run. That would be an unfair indicator of an average yards per carry. Simply put, Donald Brown's rushing average shows clearly that he is an above average back.

134 645 4.8 80 5

Att Yards Ave. Longest TDs

I disagree with that remark if it was donald brown as you presume why would we have drafted ballard

Just because we drafted a back (in the fifth round, no less) doesn't mean that the players we have already won't be used as the starter. That's like saying that because we drafted Brown in the first round that Addai wasn't going to be the starter.

I do think the starting job is up for grabs, as it should be in June. Brown hasn't shown himself to be far and away the best option for anything right now, although I think it's likely he will be the starter, barring injury.

Just because we drafted a back (in the fifth round, no less) doesn't mean that the players we have already won't be used as the starter. That's like saying that because we drafted Brown in the first round that Addai wasn't going to be the starter.

I do think the starting job is up for grabs, as it should be in June. Brown hasn't shown himself to be far and away the best option for anything right now, although I think it's likely he will be the starter, barring injury.

You just made my point when brown was drafted he was drafted to take the place of addai which he couldn't do even with addai being hurt as much as he was over the years also when you take a back in the draft and its questioned because of all the other glaring holes you have on your roster, I would hope the back drafted has a major input to the team since that pick could have been used on something else

You just made my point when brown was drafted he was drafted to take the place of addai which he couldn't do even with addai being hurt as much as he was over the years also when you take a back in the draft and its questioned because of all the other glaring holes you have on your roster, I would hope the back drafted has a major input to the team since that pick could have been used on something else

Addai still had two years left on his contract, and was healthy throughout 2009. Brown wasn't set to replace Addai until Addai's contract ran out, assuming health.

And when you take a back in the fifth round, he's just another fifth round pick. Grigson has stated very often since the draft that he stuck rigidly to his draft board, rather than drafting for positions of need. Ballard was, in Grigson's estimation, the best player on the board. And while you can get away with reaching for need in the second or third round, you're not guaranteed to get a quality player, much less a starter, in the fifth round.

I do think, based on the limited film and reading I've personally seen, that Ballard can be significant part of our offense. It wouldn't surprise me to see him with an increasing workload throughout the season. But he wasn't drafted to replace Donald Brown, or because the staff don't believe in Donald Brown. He was drafted because he's a good player, and probably would have been drafted even if Donald Brown was as productive as Arian Foster or another top back. .The Ravens took a back in the third round; does that mean they don't believe in Ray Rice? The Steelers took a back in the fifth, so they don't believe in Mendenhall?

Adding to the other very good and very insightful comments in this thread....

Whatever Donald Brown is, or isn't, everyone is clearly getting a new and fresh start. And, perhaps best of all, it's a new system that may use the talents that Brown has better than the last system.

Or....

Maybe the light just comes on now with new coaches, running a new system, behind and with other new players. Give guys a chance in a new system. If Donald Brown can't cut it, we'll know soon enough. If our running game is struggling I think the coaches will make it clear in interviews that either Brown isn't hitting the hole, or the line isn't opening up enough holes... they'll say enough in their own way that we'll have some idea what's going on....

New system. Fresh start. New players. Clean slate. Forget what players have been. Allow that they might wind up being much more with all the changes. And if they're not, they'll soon be gone.

Actually without that broken play 80 yard rushing touchdown which was impressive but still a broken play he would have averaged 4.2 yards per carry but as I have said, we didnt have the maulers to run the ball, Jeff Saturday was our best run blocker if people can believe that. Although I dont know if we have the maulers now with the exception of Satele and Hicks but its not likely he starts do to this being his first year

Actually without that broken play 80 yard rushing touchdown which was impressive but still a broken play he would have averaged 4.2 yards per carry but as I have said, we didnt have the maulers to run the ball, Jeff Saturday was our best run blocker if people can believe that. Although I dont know if we have the maulers now with the exception of Satele and Hicks but its not likely he starts do to this being his first year

When you do average yards per carry...you cant take away the longest run..in the biggest game fo the year

..the ability to breakawy for an 80-yard run on a broken play inthe 4th quarter is part fot he arguement for playing Brown

When you do average yards per carry...you cant take away the longest run..in the biggest game fo the year

..the ability to breakawy for an 80-yard run on a broken play inthe 4th quarter is part fot he arguement for playing Brown