Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IMO this team is in much worse shape than what is being spun by management or believed by fans.....

ColtAndOrioles

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is always more to the story when it comes to stats.  Bright lines have to be drawn about how tally each play, but a lot of bad plays just don't reach the bright line.

In baseball, if an outfielder totally misjudges a fly ball to where he doesn't even get his glove on it before it hits the grass, its usually scored a hit for the batter even though it was obvious the outfielder totally missed the play.  If he managed to get close enough to where it hit his glove, its technically only then defined as a error (a fly ball, not a not a line drive diving attempt). 

Not the same example, but when we have a QB that has known accuracy issues and then there are a lot of drops in a game, I think the eye test would say that the QB didn't really do a great job of throwing the ball like a winning QB should.

Off topic but I can't wait for Nebraska at Indiana tomorrow. We are about to find out which team is really for real. Nebraska should be 6-0 but 5-1 still great. Indiana is 6-0.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Off topic but I can't wait for Nebraska at Indiana tomorrow. We are about to find out which team is really for real. Nebraska should be 6-0 but 5-1 still great. Indiana is 6-0.

Huskers need an upset road win to move the program up another level.   

Another goal, I want to watch Kurtis Rourke, who looks like the real deal NFL QB.  Colts could draft him like a RGIII Kirk Cousins situation, Flacco/Sam replacement, but I think Rourke goes higher than round 4 once he starts getting attention.  

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

Huskers need an upset road win to move the program up another level.   

Another goal, I want to watch Kurtis Rourke, who looks like the real deal NFL QB.  Colts could draft him like a RGIII Kirk Cousins situation, Flacco/Sam replacement, but I think Rourke goes higher than round 4 once he starts getting attention.  

I love our QB - I call him mini - Mahomes lmao . He is just a freshman too. If Nebraska plays strong defense like they did against Rutgers they can pull it off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I ended up researching, here's what I found lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Story#:~:text=The film is set in,major street in downtown Hammond.

Yes, the irony of citing Wikipedia is not lost on me. Times have definitely changed. 

Weird, in the movie they talk about it being in Terre haute. Hmmm guess I’m off to watch that now haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ADnum1 said:

Colts should not lose to miami unless they turn the ball over alot.

Theres no Tua and miami is also playing their backup qb so they will have trouble scoring.

I'm hopeful AR will play and if he does he can't turn the ball over giving them a short field.

AR needs to learn to take what the defense gives him sometimes.

Que the Tyler Huntley career day, and/or Miami running all over Colts D. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Last season it came down to 1 play, Goodson dropped a pass. Otherwise, we would've won the division and that was with Minshew. I don't think we are as bad as people think. 3-3 is pretty much where we should be with the schedule we have had. 

I think the biggest concern is ARs health. He may put it all together but it’s no guarantee. He might be able to put this team on his back in the future and save Ballard. But my hopes are low in that area. 

I am happy with how well our WR group is doing this year. They look like pros. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

As long as we win I could give a damn.

That is all that matters, scoreboard. We had to win last week, it was ugly, but I will take it. We have to win this week as well. Then we go to Houston healthy at 4-3 - the games will begin then.

1 minute ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I think the biggest concern is ARs health. He may put it all together but it’s no guarantee. He might be able to put this team on his back in the future and save Ballard. But my hopes are low in that area. 

I am happy with how well our WR group is doing this year. They look like pros. 

Yeah, Pierce has been impressive on the deep ball.

On 10/16/2024 at 5:33 PM, ColtAndOrioles said:

Really think about this team.   Put away the blue colored glasses and think about this team as a whole, after 8 years of Ballard.  Where are we?  Because this team imo is awash in complete malfunction.  Spinning wheels.  Again....after 8 years of the same leadership. 

Be realistic....are we close to winning the division?  No.

Are we close to competing for a SB?  Not even close.   I mean not even in the same universe. 

Instead we have a QB drafted at #4, after years of avoiding the Qb situation by signing, trading for, and playing other teams castoffs, who now cannot stay healthy.  Who has completed 4 games out of 23.   Who for whatever reason isn't even playing now despite the fact he seems healthy and instead is being replaced by a 39 year old back up.

We have a secondary who after 8 years, has our best player being a guy who was cut from another team after this years training camp.  After we heard "we like our guys".  What does that say about how this team has drafted over the years and managements ability to evaluate players?

We have management that can clearly see a D being led by a coordinator who is a complete failure and yet who keeps defending him.  That is psychotic and not a program that is interested in getting better but is more interested in just keeping the status  quo. 

We have a D line that has been heavily invested into the past 5 years via the draft, and yet is graded out as one of the worst in the NFL.  Yes the Colts have had injuries, but even before that the D line was graded low.  Our guys are not that good despite how much we want to believe they are.  Even our #1 pick this year, who was hyped like crazy, has done next to nothing.  IMO he looks way too weak and small to ever be a huge impact guy.   He is not athletic at all either.   I am getting Björn Werner vibes. 

Our linebackers, for lack of a better word, our mediocre at best.  The ONLY reason they have so many tackles is because the D line lets so many RBs get into the secondary. Period.  None are game changers. 

Our O Line, while decent, is still not worth the money invested into it.  An O line worth that type of money would still be able to open holes even  with a JT injury.   But that doesn't happen.  They don't blow people off of the ball.  Watch the past 2 weeks.  Walter Payton could not have run through the holes created by our O line.  They hit the line and are met by 3 guys. 

After years of blowing off the WR corp, Ballard finally started to draft WR's and guess what....imo that is now the strongest position on the team.   Weird how that works.  But even so I don't think Ballard ever really wanted to do that as he is all about the lines and not game changing positions.  I just think he felt forced to do it because of the criticism he has faced.

When you get down to it, this team, after 8 years, is still regarded to average to moderately below average....as it has been since Ballard took over.  Not once in 8 years has this team been considered for or looked like a contender for a SB appearance. 

Think about that.  Not once in 8 years.   Just pure 'averageness". 

And it astounds me that so many Colts fans and the Colt ownership is willing to put up with that.  Name me a job where you can do  an average to below average job for 8 years and get paid $millions?

There isn't one.

How many real ELITE players are on this team?  After all of this time?  I am talking young guys who you can build upon.  Real guys.  Not 'just guys'.  

JT.  Maybe Nelson (even that is iffy).  Maybe Raimann.  Downs I believe is.   AR is iffy.  Has potential but iffy due to the fact he gets injured too much.  Pittman is good but not elite.  Buckner?   Very good but I would not call him elite because he is older and gets paid too much.    Who else?

Even Steichen has looked like a very average play caller and not what he was billed to be.  An offensive guru.  Do you get 'guru' out of him?  I don't.  The Lions and Packers for example have a way more developed and sophisticated offense. 

So what is it....again after 8 years....do we have to look forward to? Where is the hope that we can be truly SB contenders soon?  I don't see it.

Time for a change. 

I disagree on one thing, lol. I think Steichen is an elite play caller. He does have to pay more attention to the flow of the game and just take the points. He can get better at that. The rest, I have been preaching for years.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Huntley for 350, if that happens, I would do this to Gus homer simpson episode 6 GIF

And Ballard with him, lol.

On 10/17/2024 at 9:39 AM, tfunky14 said:

don't say that out loud.  All these nay-sayers will come back in full force with all their facts, ideas and will demand the Colts fire everyone on site and move the team to Montana. 

How about to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada?  We actually have a big moose statue at our tourism office in town. We could rename them the  Moose Jaw Moose, lol.

4 hours ago, ADnum1 said:

Colts should not lose to miami unless they turn the ball over alot.

Theres no Tua and miami is also playing their backup qb so they will have trouble scoring.

I'm hopeful AR will play and if he does he can't turn the ball over giving them a short field.

AR needs to learn to take what the defense gives him sometimes.

Agreed.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 6:02 PM, richard pallo said:

Absolutely yes.  Nice long write up but that’s about it.  Complain all you want but Ballard is going nowhere.  This is a very good young team and will only get better.  You don’t see it but I think we’re in a good position.  And I’m not alone.

U might not be alone, but that's doesn't mean u r right, lol.

On 10/16/2024 at 6:06 PM, crazycolt1 said:

What seems boring and mediocre to you is not shared by the majority of the players in the league.  Just because we are not dominant and getting 12 wins a season does mean it’s as you say. 

Based on Ballard' s win/loss record over 8 years. Our average win loss total would be closer to 7 and 9 over 8 years in a 16 game schedule or 8 and 9 over 17 games. No where near what is acceptable. 

On 10/17/2024 at 8:49 AM, bluephantom87 said:

You are correct and I agree to a point. Where I differ is that Ballard had the opportunity to go get CJ but chose to sit pat as usual. It wasn’t a secret that the Bears were getting off the top pick and almost every football pundit nationally assumed that the Colts would be the team to move up a mere 3 spots considering their yearly qb hell situation to get a franchise qb either in the polished CJ Stroud or the smallish but decorated Bryce Young.

Unless you already have the top pick most teams move up to snag their guy. See Chiefs with Mahomes, the Bills with Allen or the Ravens with Jackson to name a few but that's not Ballard's MO. He's more likely to sit pat in rd 1 and trade down after that to aquire more lower rd picks.

Keep in mind it was also reported by Shefty that of the remaining two Ballard liked Levis (who by the way looks awful) and that was confirmed by Will's camp also but that Shane pushed for AR. So take that with a grain of salt who knows. Now if the uber talented AR can be developed then the Colts will be headed in the right direction at qb but he must remain healthy and that's been a tall task considering that he hasn't from hs to college and now the pros.

If Ballard did indeed want Levis. That should be enuff to get him fired at the end of the year.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep. The funniest thing about the AR argument is fans acting like he is the reason colts have lost games.  He isn’t why we lost the 3 games.

In a way he was. He can't stay healthy. If he was in their, the team could be 5 and 1. I'm just saying. U don't think his injuries have set back this team? I would argue a big yes!

49 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You wanted Levis.  Lol. Have you forgotten that?

U r absolutley right about Levis. I   was also excited when they did decide to draft AR as he was a unicorn. U r also forgetting one thing. I am not a GM in charge of a billion dollar franchise and suppose to be a top talent evaluator.  My good and/or bad ideas have zero affect on this franchise. Ballard's do and have. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U r absolutley right about Levis. I   was also excited when they did decide to draft AR as he was a unicorn. U r also forgetting one thing. I am not a GM in charge of a billion dollar franchise and suppose to be a top talent evaluator.  My good and/or bad ideas have zero affect on this franchise. Ballard's do and have. 

Then maybe you should stop acting like you are smarter than NFL gms.  Which you do all the time.   

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Then maybe you should stop acting like you are smarter than NFL gms.  Which you do all the time.   

To say that a gm who has a losing record over 8 years is an average GM at best is not  pretending to be smart . I thought that was just a common sense statement, lol!.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

To say that a gm who has a losing record over 8 years is an average GM at best is not  pretending to be smart . I thought that was just a common sense statement, lol!.

Yet you think you are more intelligent than a guy that's been in the business for decades.   You think switching to a 3-4 d is easy even though the players we currently have never played the positions you suggest.    You love to act like you were right about things,  but have to be called out when you're wrong.    It's tiresome.   You think you are more intelligent than people that actually do the job.  I'm guessing you come from a masonry background.     You watch football on Sunday and come here and act like you have any clue how to build a roster.   It's why you get so much pushback 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Yet you think you are more intelligent than a guy that's been in the business for decades.   You think switching to a 3-4 d is easy even though the players we currently have never played the positions you suggest.    You love to act like you were right about things,  but have to be called out when you're wrong.    It's tiresome.   You think you are more intelligent than people that actually do the job.  I'm guessing you come from a masonry background.     You watch football on Sunday and come here and act like you have any clue how to build a roster.   It's why you get so much pushback 

I actually am a social worker. I have worked as a child protection worker and income assistance and currently work with clients who have  cognitive disabilities. Been in the field for about 30 years . My oldest son  is a geologist and played one year in the CFL and was an elite athlete. He played corner in Canadian university and was signed to play corner in the CFL as a Canadian which is extremely rare.My second son is an accountant  and once held the high school 100-meter dash with a 10.75 and still holds the 200 meter record in Sask. My youngest daughter is a nurse and just went back  to university for her masters in September. She still runs with the university track team. I guess I know a little about planning a successful future for people. Just saying. I don't think I am smarter than anyone here. I give thoughts on what I would do and I thought that's what this forum was for.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I actually am a social worker. I have worked as a child protection worker and income assistance and currently work with clients who have  cognitive disabilities. Been in the field for about 30 years . My oldest son  is a geologist and played one year in the CFL and was an elite athlete. He played corner in Canadian university and was signed to play corner in the CFL as a Canadian which is extremely rare.My second son is an accountant  and once held the high school 100-meter dash with a 10.75 and still holds the 200 meter record in Sask. My youngest daughter is a nurse and just went back  to university for her masters in September. She still runs with the university track team. I guess I know a little about planning a successful future for people. Just saying. I don't think I am smarter than anyone here. I give thoughts on what I would do and I thought that's what this forum was for.

Sure thing

• Like 1