Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rookie Report Card

TrueBlue4ever

It’s roughly 1/3rd of the way through the Season, so a good time to assess the performance of the 2024 Rookie Class.  This draft was critical to our future success. So here goes:

Latu - “C”

Strengths - Hire the “Attitude” Train the Skill, Big Engine/Motor, Team Player

Developmental Opportunities - KPI/Results- 1 sack in 6 games, Strength/Speed - must continue to get Stronger and Quicker, Tackling/Gap assignment, confident this will get much better by the EOY. Just remember, you are one of four, losing our Best Defensive Player has played into unit performance. You were the first defensive player taken off the board, go dominate the next 11!

AD Mitchell - “C”

Strengths - Win Rate/Get Open! Speed, You got it, harness it and then Unleash the Beast! Coachable- continue to seek the guidance from a great one, Regggggie!!!!

Developmental Opportunities- Finish, You have a Chip on your Shoulder, play angry and tough. You are going to have your breakout game soon, get ready!!

Bortolini - “B”

Strengths - Maturity, Keep doing what you are doing, Brilliant at the Basics, Doing Ordinary Things extraordinarily well! 
Developmental Opportunities - Continue to work on feet and Hands, you are the steal of the draft so far, continue to stay humble. 

Carlies - “C”

You have a great opportunity! Use your reps to separate yourself from the incumbents. Tackle!!!!!

I would love to hear everyone’s forthright feedback! This class is so important. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It’s roughly 1/3rd of the way through the Season, so a good time to assess the performance of the 2024 Rookie Class.  This draft was critical to our future success. So here goes:

Latu - “C”

Developmental Opportunities - KPI/Results- 1 sack in 6 games, Strength/Speed - must continue to get Stronger and Quicker, Tackling/Gap assignment, confident this will get much better by the EOY. Just remember, you are one of four, losing our Best Defensive Player has played into unit performance. You were the first defensive player taken off the board, go dominate the next 11!

AD Mitchell - “C”

Strengths - Win Rate/Get Open! Speed, You got it, harness it and then Unleash the Beast! Coachable- continue to seek the guidance from a great one, Regggggie!!!!

Developmental Opportunities- Finish, You have a Chip on your Shoulder, play angry and tough. You are going to have your breakout game soon, get ready!!

Bortolini - “B”

Strengths - Maturity, Keep doing what you are doing, Brilliant at the Basics, Doing Ordinary Things extraordinarily well! 
Developmental Opportunities - Continue to work on feet and Hands, you are the steal of the draft so far, continue to stay humble. 

Carlies - “C”

You have a great opportunity! Use your reps to separate yourself from the incumbents. Tackle!!!!!

I would love to hear everyone’s forthright feedback! This class is so important. 

I know Buckner hurt Latu but I expected way more. He projects to have 3 sacks and that is not nearly enough for the 1st D player off the board. 

None of these rookies are allowed to have anything higher than a C grade because Ballard drafted them… haha 

I think Latu will be fine…his defensive coordinator sucks and it’s difficult to get pressure with the scheme we run with the secondary being so poor…Womack has helped a ton thankfully…sadly I think if we had one more star LB one more star CB and a different coordinator along with getting our guys back from injury we’d be super duper 

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Latu - “C”

AD Mitchell - “C”

Bortolini - “B”

Carlies - “C”

I don’t think you can truly assess the rookies 6 games in. These guys are still learning and getting adjusted to the NFL.

I think the Jaylon Carlies grade is very harsh. He is holding his own out there and looks like an athletic player that could develop into long term starter on our defense. 
For reference, PFF has him graded out as the 15th best LB in the NFL (78.1) and the 3rd best in coverage (90.1 proper elite). He has work to do on his game for sure, but he has done well so far.