Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taking a poll on Richardson and everyone's views...

coltsblue1844

Anthony Richardson  

68 members have voted

1. 1. This forum is so divided on Anthony Richardson, I wanted to take a poll. Do you think Richardson will still be our starting QB in 3 years, yes or no. Do you think he will be a high caliber QB in 3 years, yes or no? Feel free to comment on why you chose your answers!

• Yes he will still be our starter in 3 years
    • No he will not be our starter in 3 years
    • Yes he will be a high caliber QB in 3 years
    • No he will not be a high caliber QB in 3 years

26 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Irsay isn't going to trade him

I don't think so either, but what are the Colts going to do if Richardson keeps getting injured? Can they develop him and fully use his abilities while also keeping him from getting injured so frequently? Charles Robinson, in the QB Room, this week discusses the challenges the Colts face with what he calls a Cam Newton Conundrum. 

The Indianapolis Colts have themselves a Cam Newton conundrum.

For years, the Carolina Panthers struggled to figure out how to get the most out of Cam Newton while exposing him to the least amount of punishment. It’s a unique problem to have, largely because it’s rare to find a wildly athletic quarterback who is also built with the frame of a linebacker.

In the past 20-30 years, you’ve basically had a small fraternity of Newton, Josh Allen, Ben Roethlisberger and Daunte Culpepper. I’m not putting Lamar Jackson in this group because his physique is different than the rest. And there is some variance within that group when it comes to athleticism, pocket-passing acumen, speed, etc. But what’s important is a trio of common threads: massive size, significant athletic tools — and a need to absorb punishment to unlock their strengths.

This is where the Colts check into the chat with Anthony Richardson.

They have a quarterback with otherworldly skills who is already showing signs of breaking down. On Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Richardson was knocked out of the game after suffering a hip injury while running the football. It’s the fourth time in eight career starts that Richardson has been forced out of a game with injuries, including a severe sprain in his throwing shoulder that ultimately required surgery and ended his rookie season after just four games. That’s troubling symmetry — four starts per season, four injuries to four different areas of his body: left knee, concussion, right AC joint, and now his right hip.

Now concern is centering on whether Richardson is injury prone. That is a fair question to raise since he hasn't finished half of his career starts. 

“People are going to talk about injuries, people are going to say injury-prone, blah, blah, blah,” he lamented to reporters after getting knocked out of the game against Pittsburgh. “But nobody wants to get injured. Everybody wants to stay on the field. Of course, I was like, ‘Man, damn, not again.’ But it’s all good. It’s God’s plan and I’m trusting it.”

Not to engage in blasphemy here, but there’s also the Colts’ plan to consider, too. Which, like Allen early in his career with the Buffalo Bills, requires Richardson playing a significant amount of football — taking a maximum amount of reps in practice, playing in every single game, patiently shaping his skills with each passing week, month and year. Thus far, that plan has been wrecked, putting Richardson behind schedule.

This is where the whole Newton conundrum comes into play. When Newton was at his best, the Panthers accepted that his full suite of options as a player included designed runs and off-schedule playmaking with his legs. It allowed him to stress defenses in a multitude of ways, unlocking his ceiling to the point of him winning Offensive Rookie of the Year, making three Pro Bowls, appearing in a Super Bowl and winning a league MVP — all inside the first five seasons of his career. It’s also where the wheels started to come off, largely due to the punishment Newton absorbed. In his sixth season, he suffered a concussion in Week 4 of his season, knocking him out of a game against the Atlanta Falcons and then keeping him sidelined through Week 5.

Newton never looked the same the rest of the season, which concluded with him completing a career-low 52.9 percent of his passes and turning the ball over 16 times. The following offseason, he’d have surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder. While he rebounded for a solid season in 2017, he’d never get close to the heights he achieved in his MVP season, and then injuries would knock him out of a multitude of games and eventually ruin his throwing shoulder. Looking back, it was a career lost to punishment.

The Panthers knew what they were getting into when they selected Newton. And they had to make the same decision that the Colts have to make right now with Richardson: Do they allow a quarterback to play free and clear of boundaries, knowing that it could cost him in the long run — or do they inhibit certain aspects of his game, hoping that it will preserve him in the long run?

Unfortunately for the Colts, how they answer that question is more complicated than what Carolina faced with Newton. That’s because Newton’s skill set was already at a high level of development as a passer and runner by the time he stepped on an NFL field. He needed far less development at the outset of his career, which made the physical risks he took more palatable. Newton getting hurt and missing time was certainly not a good thing, but it didn’t threaten to throw off a multi-year elongated program for his development as both a runner and passer. With Richardson, it does.

So what’s the answer? Well, the four injuries that Richardson has suffered have all come with him running the ball. Three of the runs were dialed up for him and the fourth was an out-of-structure play. On all four, he took hits rather than getting down on the plays, leading to basically the maximum absorption of punishment. So the simple answer would seem to be either stop calling runs entirely — which isn’t an option whatsoever — or coach Richardson to either get down at the end of runs or work on taking less punishment. All of which is more difficult than it sounds, because football is played at a speed that rarely affords someone the time to think about how they’re taking a hit. Maybe the only thing that can be coached, if Richardson is willing to accept it, is learning to slide at the end of plays rather than taking hits for extra yardage.

The one thing the Colts can definitely do is stop trusting Richardson to protect himself or be honest about his health, which is what they did against the Steelers. The next play after Richardson returned from his hip pointer, head coach Shane Steichen called a designed run. Which, in retrospect, was a significant mistake that Steichen made because — as he said later — Richardson had told him “he felt good to go.” The result was a play where Richardson ran and then attempted to get down, but still took a head shot from safety Minkah Fitzpatrick.

It was an error in assessment, but also a teachable moment in what is going to be a long lesson for the coaching staff and Richardson. This isn’t going to get resolved quickly. Not with Richardson’s mentality to make things happen on the fly, and not with the coaching staff wanting to lean into the things that make him a special player. It’s a difficult balancing act that hasn’t gotten off to a good start. Like seemingly everything else in Richardson’s development, it’s going to take time, patience and a lot of failure to turn the corner.

https://sports.yahoo.com/qb-room-week-4-lets-start-with-the-indianapolis-colts-anthony-richardsoncam-newton-conundrum-211952047.html

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

I know there are a lot on here that view me as a Neg Nancy, a hater, or a troll most times when I comment or post. I can assure you all that I am neither of those. I consider myself a realist based on what I deem common sense at least from my perspective normally through my eyes and it doesn't take long for me usually to gain an opinion on where I see the road headed. Just like all of you, I am totally disappointed in this team and its progress going all the way back to Grigson.

On Richardson, I voted NO in each section. 

I commented in another thread recently that Richardson is NEVER going to be a prototypical pocket passer. Just the other day I was listening to Miller and Kerwin on Sirius and Kerwin said the exact same thing. < I will speak to what Kerwin said more in a little bit.

I also stated that Richardson could never be a prototypical RPO QB as well based on his accuracy issues on quick read short to intermediate passes. < Kerwin alluded to the exact same thing.

The above two commonalities should be aware fully by all of us on this forum although there are some that still believe his accuracy issues can be fixed. I am not in that camp. Regardless, Richardson now has 2 strikes against him in becoming an NFL caliber QB very short into his NFL career path.

Enter the 3rd area. Running the ball, i.e using his legs offensively. This is where most of us would agree that his strong suit applies and what has to happen for our offense to be effective with Richardson at the helm. Unfortunately, in two straight seasons now we have witnessed that when he runs the ball, he gets injured. It doesn't matter how bad the injury is, he still gets injured. He is not durable for being such a big strong guy.

We needed Bruce "Unbreakable" Willis, and we got "Mr. Glass" Jackson. That my friends are 3 strikes, and he is out. If he fails at all three phases he is not and cannot be an NFL starting QB. 

This forum really needs to come together here and realize that the chances that this kid becomes what we really want him to be is really slim and it keeps getting slimmer. This honestly should be so obvious to everyone here but it's not. 

In speaking of how some teams were smart enough to have experienced backup QB's on the roster like the Panthers, and Titans, the Colts were mentioned and Flacco was spoken of. Miller said he thought it might be time for the Colts to sit Richardson to learn from Flacco like the Panthers are seemingly doing with Young and Kerwin said absolutely not. He said we tried that last year with Minshew and look how far that got AR. He did not learn how to pass accurately by watching and or not get uninjured. Kerwin said and I quote: The Colts need this kid to play and play a lot and play a lot quickly as they need to figure out if this kid has it or not and by the looks of it, I'm really not sure he has it, Jim. Great kid, great athlete but sometimes those traits just don't translate. He then said the AR convo was one for another day.

That was from Kerwin, not me. Tells me that those in the league in the know are starting to see it which leads me to this.

We need to trade him and trade him now and the Colts should reach out to the Raiders. Here's why:

Once the Adams trade goes through the Raiders will have or should have an additional 2nd round pick. We should offer Richardson to the Raiders for that pick and call it a day. To me it would make sense to the Raiders for a couple reasons.

1) Minshew and AR had a good rapport last year and Minshew is in Vegas. AR could still get tutored in a familiar mentorship to see if it would work.

2) The Raiders need a QB in the worst way, obviously and I think they would jump at the chance to take AR.

3) Pierce wants to run that ground and pound type of atmosphere which would benefit AR and that scheme by having him in it if he could stay healthy.

If the Colts want to move this guy it has to be sooner than later as currently there still isn't a lot of tape on AR but eventually there will be and then he becomes worthless if what I believe to be true about this guy continues. A lot of people still believe he will pan out and will take that chance based on what I have said to be a fool's gold mentality. We need to capitalize on that now and move on before it's too late. 

Colts would take a lot of heat in the media but who cares. 5 years from now no one is really going to care. If we don't trade him now, I know exactly what is going to happen here in Indy..

Everybody is going to screaming/clamoring for Arch Manning. You all know this is what is coming. 

I'm sorry but the Colts are going to need to reset again.

Everybody knew this kid was raw. Everybody knew he might not be capable. Ballard had to shoot his shot. He missed. 

Trade him and let's move on. 

-Peace

After 9 starts. This is such a bad take that I can't even go on. Let the guy play at least 25 games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Very good post. Most likely you are right, and the possible trade idea to the Raiders is an intelligent thought. He showed flashes last week before getting hurt, but that's all we're seeing because he gets hurt so much. I didn't like his press conference either and I believe at this point Ballard is going to sink or swim with him. Ballard wouldn't be smart enough to do what the Cardinals did with Josh Rosen and draft a QB next year. Your way is a similar out to what they did. Ballard is too stubborn for that. He'll take down the team with him. It's a chess game though, trade him at the right time while his value is high if you do, don't make it obvious to the league and get nothing. Either way, you're taking a risk.

To your very 1st sentence, it isn't, it's absurd to judge a QB after 9 starts.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

The team is 2-2 and is coming off a big win against the Steelers. And this place is acting like a funeral procession for a kid who isn't being given a fair chance... 

What a sad place this forum has become. 

He’s been given a fair chance. You can’t say that he hasn’t. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After 9 starts. This is such a bad take that I can't even go on. Let the guy play at least 25 games.

Actually, it's not. After nine takes you should have already seen enough and that is why some on here are hanging onto a false view as you are focused on the wrong area.

What all of us have seen is INCONSISTENCY. Inconsistency kills football teams in every position but especially QB. The accuracy issues keep him from being consistently accurate. His injury issues keep him from being consistently on the field and so on and so on. I shouldn't have to explain this like I'm talking to a child as I know you are not and I'm certainly not implying that.

Some weeks he will amaze you and some weeks he will make you scratch your head. Other times he won't even be in the line-up. This is why he is fool's gold. 

This is why it will never work. If you do not realize that this QB will never be able to week in week out have this team seriously competing especially with a bunk defense or scheme or combination, you need to step back and see the big picture of what is currently and what is going to continue to be painted. 

-Peace

• Like 1

Just now, Indeee said:

Actually, it's not. After nine takes you should have already seen enough and that is why some on here are hanging onto a false view as you are focused on the wrong area.

What all of us have seen is INCONSISTENCY. Inconsistency kills football teams in every position but especially QB. The accuracy issues keep him from being consistently accurate. His injury issues keep him from being consistently on the field and so on and so on. I shouldn't have to explain this like I'm talking to a child as I know you are not and I'm certainly not implying that.

Some weeks he will amaze you and some weeks he will make you scratch your head. Other times he won't even be in the line-up. This is why he is fool's gold. 

This is why it will never work. If you do not realize that this QB will never be able to week in week out have this team seriously competing especially with a bunk defense or scheme or combination, you need to step back and see the big picture of what is currently and what is going to continue to be painted. 

-Peace

9 games Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

Just now, a06cc said:

Been here going on 2 seasons 🤔

I must’ve missed something 🤣🤣

You are missing a lot to give up on a rare talent after 9 games.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

9 games Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

You are missing a lot to give up on a rare talent after 9 games.

9 games because he can’t stay healthy. Please explain? 🤣🤣🤣

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The team is 2-2 and is coming off a big win against the Steelers. And this place is acting like a funeral procession for a kid who isn't being given a fair chance... 

What a sad place this forum has become. 

My friend, this isn't about the record. The record does not matter when you are trying to put together a team that will win year in and year out like we had with Manning. During those years, we only needed to have Peyton get over the hump, but the Colts team was always in contention.

These Colts teams since have not ever been consistently in contention and this QB is not going to ever give you that based on his sporadic play. 

It will be a rollercoaster every week for years with this kid as it was in Carolina with Cam. 

There is no one on this forum who should ever want that regardless of a current in time record.

• Like 1

Once again I go back to the age old question. What are fans supposed to do? 

I have concerns yes. I'm unsure how things will pan out. But I'm at least hoping and supporting the kid that things will work out, because that means a net positive for the Colts. 

I was expecting Richardson to get a lot of heat across the NFL. But not from his own team's fanbase. 

Oh well. I'll be taking my worthless opinions off the board again. 

There are some real rough situations going on in real life. This is just a game after all. 

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My friend, this isn't about the record. The record does not matter when you are trying to put together a team that will win year in and year out like we had with Manning. During those years, we only needed to have Peyton get over the hump, but the Colts team was always in contention.

These Colts teams since have not ever been consistently in contention and this QB is not going to ever give you that based on his sporadic play. 

It will be a rollercoaster every week for years with this kid as it was in Carolina with Cam. 

There is no one on this forum who should ever want that regardless of a current in time record.

They heard  Mike Tomlin an NFL coach say he isn’t accurate. Don’t know what other proof you need. Took a hit when we finally ran him and got hurt

I guess you think Cincy should trade Joe Burrow then. This logic is awful.

Never said that. Was talking about this not getting a fair chance nonsense you keep trying to push. 9 games because he can’t stay healthy. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Once again I go back to the age old question. What are fans supposed to do? 

I have concerns yes. I'm unsure how things will pan out. But I'm at least hoping and supporting the kid that things will work out, because that means a net positive for the Colts. 

I was expecting Richardson to get a lot of heat across the NFL. But not from his own team's fanbase. 

There are some real rough situations going on in real life. This is just a game after all. 

These guys wanted Will Levis haha who can't stay healthy at all, he was injured last year and now this year.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

These guys wanted Will Levis haha who can't stay healthy at all, he was injured last year and now this year.

Stop trying to twist peoples words. Not at all what’s being said. 

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Once again I go back to the age old question. What are fans supposed to do

The first thing we need to do is stop chastising other fans for being realistic. We all have concerns. You do too as you stated above.

We have given this team and its player ungodly amounts of chances over these Ballard years, and it has been dismal. You are right though, there is nothing we can do however we should be able to agree when the duck actually walks and talks like a duck from a realistic standpoint.

It's okay to hope and give chances but at the same time, sometimes you don't need to keep giving chances to things already realized if we just removed the finger-crossed glasses some of us wear every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, a06cc said:

Never said that. Was talking about this not getting a fair chance nonsense you keep trying to push. 9 games because he can’t stay healthy. 

A fair chance how? The dude has played in 9 games. Let's see how the next 2 seasons go and if he keeps getting injured or stinks than I can buy it. Peyton stunk his rookie season.

A fair chance how? The dude has played in 9 games. Let's see how the next 2 seasons go and if he keeps getting injured or stinks than I can buy it. Peyton stunk his rookie season.

Who fault is that Anthony has played 9 games in 2 seasons? 🤣

Quit saying AR has been giving a fair chance, 9 games isn't squat.

Been here 2 season. Stop with that garbage excuse

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Quit saying AR has been giving a fair chance, 9 games isn't squat.

My friend. I'm not jumping on the way you feel but I ask you to go back and take a look at the first day of the QB drills at the combine in 2023. 

Richardson was doing a drill where the receiver broke off a 12-15 yard out to the sideline. On 3 separates consecutive occasions, AR sailed the ball a mile over the receiver's head into the sideline. 

Just last week, he sailed an easy out to downs straight into the seats.

Those 3 throws at the combine should have said all it needed to say, and it continues today in real time. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

My friend. I'm not jumping on the way you feel but I ask you to go back and take a look at the first day of the QB drills at the combine in 2023. 

Richardson was doing a drill where the receiver broke off a 12-15 yard out to the sideline. On 3 separates consecutive occasions, AR sailed the ball a mile over the receiver's head into the sideline. 

Just last week, he sailed an easy out to downs straight into the seats.

Those 3 throws at the combine should have said all it needed to say, and it continues today in real time. 

Correct! Again an NFL coach said he’s inconsistent and game planned for it. There is nothing else to say after. 

Goodbye, have a nice miserable life. This isn't worth it. Root for a different team.

See 🤣🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am starting to hate this place. Some people say they are realist, being a realist doesn't give up on a QB after 9 games. 

Ya can’t let it get to you man! It’s just a message board. I never get irate over something someone posts. Heck I’m usually in the minority with my opinions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Indeee said:

The first thing we need to do is stop chastising other fans for being realistic. We all have concerns. You do too as you stated above.

We have given this team and its player ungodly amounts of chances over these Ballard years, and it has been dismal. You are right though, there is nothing we can do however we should be able to agree when the duck actually walks and talks like a duck from a realistic standpoint.

It's okay to hope and give chances but at the same time, sometimes you don't need to keep giving chances to things already realized if we just removed the finger-crossed glasses some of us wear every day.

This realist take is bull. You are not realist. A realist would say something like the Jags stink, the Chiefs are great. You just want to dump on the Colts.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In Manning's rookie season under head coach Jim Mora, he threw 3,739 yards and 26 touchdowns, set five different NFL rookie records including most touchdown passes in a season and most interceptions in a rookie year, and was named to the NFL All-Rookie First Team.[111][112][113] In his NFL debut, Manning was 21-of-37 for 302 passing yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions. He threw his first career touchdown, a six-yard pass to Marvin Harrison, in the fourth quarter of the 24–15 loss to the Miami Dolphins.[114] Manning's first win came against fellow rookie Leaf, 17–12 over the San Diego Chargers in week 5.[115] Two weeks later, Manning faced off against Steve Young; he threw three touchdowns, tying a Colts rookie record, but the San Francisco 49ers kicked a late field goal to win 34–31.[116] In November against the New York Jets, Manning threw three touchdowns in a 24–23 win; he was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for this performance.[117] It was the first game-winning drive of Manning's career, as he threw the game-winning touchdown pass to Marcus Pollard.[111][118] Manning was certainly a bright spot in 1998 for the Colts with 3,739 passing yards and 26 passing touchdowns, but also threw a league high 28 interceptions as the team struggled to a 3–13 record with a defense that gave up more than 27 points per game.[103][119][120][121] The Colts lost many close games, including five games where they led by double digits at some point.[120]

• Like 1

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

In Manning's rookie season under head coach Jim Mora, he threw 3,739 yards and 26 touchdowns, set five different NFL rookie records including most touchdown passes in a season and most interceptions in a rookie year, and was named to the NFL All-Rookie First Team.[111][112][113] In his NFL debut, Manning was 21-of-37 for 302 passing yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions. He threw his first career touchdown, a six-yard pass to Marvin Harrison, in the fourth quarter of the 24–15 loss to the Miami Dolphins.[114] Manning's first win came against fellow rookie Leaf, 17–12 over the San Diego Chargers in week 5.[115] Two weeks later, Manning faced off against Steve Young; he threw three touchdowns, tying a Colts rookie record, but the San Francisco 49ers kicked a late field goal to win 34–31.[116] In November against the New York Jets, Manning threw three touchdowns in a 24–23 win; he was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for this performance.[117] It was the first game-winning drive of Manning's career, as he threw the game-winning touchdown pass to Marcus Pollard.[111][118] Manning was certainly a bright spot in 1998 for the Colts with 3,739 passing yards and 26 passing touchdowns, but also threw a league high 28 interceptions as the team struggled to a 3–13 record with a defense that gave up more than 27 points per game.[103][119][120][121] The Colts lost many close games, including five games where they led by double digits at some point.[120]

He also threw 28 INT's and we went 3-13. 

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The biggest reason the Colts went 3-13 was that their defense was the worst in the league. Their offense was in the middle of the league. It was Peyton's worst season, but he still was first team All-Rookie. He was much better than Richardson is now. I'm not saying that to downgrade Richardson, but just because it's an obvious fact. 

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

Also Peyton Manning made it through his first season

He also threw 28 INT's and we went 3-13. 

So? He made it through his first season

He's our QB for the next 3 years at least, so what you guys going to do? Just bag on him. Honestly, I have no idea whether he will be good or bad. So far when he has played, he has looked good for the most part. Give it 2 seasons, then we can discuss this. He may stay healthy the rest of the season for all we know. If he doesn't than you win.