Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you see any progress with Richardson?

Smonroe

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure I agree on the last sentence. I think purely physically he has the athletic ability and nibleness... What I think is the problem is that he doesn't seem to have the decisiveness, awareness and wherewithal on the run. Like... it's not physical limitation IMO... it's more of a mental thing. For example, he lets up when he needs to finish strong(the concussion last year vs the Texans), he keeps going when he needs to slide(yesterday hit)... he just seems awkward and inconsistent around bodies flying towards him. It's kind of weird. It's not timidness... it's not that he cannot do it, because there are cases where he does it. It's like... if you gave Matt Ryan Cam Newton's body, but didn't give him any time or reps to get used to what he can and can't do with it. 

At least that's what it looks to me. Don't know if I'm making any sense... :dunno:

you are 100% correct. The awareness will come as he matures. 

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree with his take.  He looked like he could have gone back in.  His body language on the sideline showed the same thing.  It could have made him a tougher player by showing confidence in allowing him to play through a minor injury.  Now the cloud still lingers.

Yep. He is also right colts can’t pull him after every knick and bruise.  QB play through things. They can’t baby him. Fans would be having a much different reaction today had he stayed in. The Oline is good enough to protect him if he was limited. Letting him play through would of toughen him up like you said.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think he moves like a "running" QB.  The more I watch, the more he seems to handle himself like a pocket QB that has speed to escape and get yards.  Nimbleness and athletic body control, like Mahomes or Lamar, or even Allen, is not his game.  IMO.

“Nimble” is good for Mahomes. That guy escapes the pocket for good yardage a lot and never takes a direct hit. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure I agree on the last sentence. I think purely physically he has the athletic ability and nibleness... What I think is the problem is that he doesn't seem to have the decisiveness, awareness and wherewithal on the run. Like... it's not physical limitation IMO... it's more of a mental thing. For example, he lets up when he needs to finish strong(the concussion last year vs the Texans), he keeps going when he needs to slide(yesterday hit)... he just seems awkward and inconsistent around bodies flying towards him. It's kind of weird. It's not timidness... it's not that he cannot do it, because there are cases where he does it. It's like... if you gave Matt Ryan Cam Newton's body, but didn't give him any time or reps to get used to what he can and can't do with it. 

At least that's what it looks to me. Don't know if I'm making any sense... :dunno:

I think we both see the same things.  Its not easy to describe.  IMO, AR looks more gangly and awkward than what he was billed to be by some and I do think some of that is natural physique combined with being an inexperienced runner.  Not saying that he is either, he just lands more towards that side of the line than Cam Newton, who simply looked stouter and more fluid whenever he moved.

Do you remember Vince Young?  Big and fast too, but don't think AR will ever run like him

I need to watch more for sure.

• Like 2

Quarter of the season check-in.

I think he's proving to be the perfect tough nut to measure. He has looked up and down in the first quarter of 2025. Some good, some bad. Even within game halves. The fluctuations are what we knew to expect. Basically, thru the first 4 games of 2025, AR has been exactly as advertised to me - inconsistent with extreme ability. Still a work-in-progress, learning.

For Q2 of 2025, I'll be looking for some more consistency. Nothing huge, just a little less up and down, and maybe stacking 2 to 3 consecutive good quarters. 

At this point, the arrow is flickering. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I just want to see him be consistently accurate for an entire game.

The receivers were hanging on to some tough catches. That helped him look too.

.... Or am I splitting hairs?