Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to beating the Packers

CR91

1. Stop the Run

Obviously the Packers are watching what Mixon did last week. Jacobs is gonna get 25-30 touches and I expect a lot of RPOs with him and Willis. If we do not force Willis to beat us with his arm, we're not winning this game.

2. Sustain drives

I know we all love the big play, but only getting 20 mins with the ball will not result in a lot of victories. AR also needs to learn that it's ok to dump the ball to JT. Getting 4-5 yards is a hell of a lot better then trying to force a ball into coverage.

3. Win in the trenches

A large reason the Texans won is because they won in the trenches. They limited JT and then ran it down our throats with Mixon. That can't happen again. If Taylor has a similar game to Barkley, we'll be in great shape. On the other side, we need to stack the box and force Willis into passing situations so our pass rushers can eat.

4. Limit hits to AR

AR took way too many hits last week. The protection was good last week, but the hits he did take looked brutal. I'm hoping the refs don't let those hits go unpunished like last week because that was bull crap.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2024 at 7:46 PM, CR91 said:

1. Stop the Run

Obviously the Packers are watching what Mixon did last week. Jacobs is gonna get 25-30 touches and I expect a lot of RPOs with him and Willis. If we do not force Willis to beat us with his arm, we're not winning this game.

2. Sustain drives

I know we all love the big play, but only getting 20 mins with the ball will not result in a lot of victories. AR also needs to learn that it's ok to dump the ball to JT. Getting 4-5 yards is a hell of a lot better then trying to force a ball into coverage.

3. Win in the trenches

A large reason the Texans won is because they won in the trenches. They limited JT and then ran it down our throats with Mixon. That can't happen again. If Taylor has a similar game to Barkley, we'll be in great shape. On the other side, we need to stack the box and force Willis into passing situations so our pass rushers can eat.

4. Limit hits to AR

AR took way too many hits last week. The protection was good last week, but the hits he did take looked brutal. I'm hoping the refs don't let those hits go unpunished like last week because that was bull crap.

On #4. I agree on all your points but will comment further on #4. .....We all know a QB that can also run is a added dimension which is valuable. However, its a way to having your back up QB get lots of playing time. Steinchen needs to pump the brakes on calling design running plays with our QB or else he's going to get him killed. 

• Thanks 1

The Colts are going to have to stop Packers RB, Josh Jacob’s.   At least slow him down.   Have to believe Green Bay has looked at that Joe Mixon video over and over.  

If the Colts can minimize Jacob’s and force whoever is the Packers QB (Willis, or his backup) to beat them, the odds for a Colts win will go way up.