Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts kicker Matt Gay dealing with groin injury; status for Sunday opener versus Houston uncertain

HOZER

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

So you think Shane is going to force him to kick if he’s not ready.  Why would you think that? 

I don't think you read that in the right context. It was in response to:

4 hours ago, Hoose said:
5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

What happens if Shrader balls out and kicks a game winning fieldgoal? Gay to the IR while we wait and see how Shrader does moving forward? 

That would be my plan. If anyone cared to ask. 😬

I'm genuinely asking what happens if Shrader plays like a franchise kicker/hits a game winner and Gay says he's ready in the next few weeks (even though he's still recovering). What are our options in that situation if we aren't ready to chance it with him coming back and letting Shrader possibly get pulled to another team? Are we willing to let Shrader go (I'm not saying he is a franchise kicker, just throwing a scenario out there) for a guy that many on here say is overpaid, that is north of 30 and recovering from surgery? If Shrader plays big while Gay is out, it's a predicament they are going to have to think on, in my opinion. 

I'm not at all saying anyone is going to force Gay. I'm on the other end of it. What if Gay is trying to force us to let him play while a rookie is balling out in his position? And just for arguments sake... We had Matt Gay on our practice squad in 2020 when he was pulled to the Rams and played big for them. How many potential franchise kickers are we willing to let get pulled off practice squads or waivers while we watch ours struggle through injuries? Seems to be a trend.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I'm not a professional athlete and I'm old as hades this hernia is nothing to take lightly. 

I had surgery to repair a 6 inch hernia 4 weeks ago.  It was very painful and it takes at least 8 weeks before I can lift anything over 10 lbs.  I found out that males are more prone to have hernias because of how our bodies develop before birth. 

Just some information. 

Not fun. 

10 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't think you read that in the right context. It was in response to:

I'm genuinely asking what happens if Shrader plays like a franchise kicker/hits a game winner and Gay says he's ready in the next few weeks (even though he's still recovering). What are our options in that situation if we aren't ready to chance it with him coming back and letting Shrader possibly get pulled to another team? Are we willing to let Shrader go (I'm not saying he is a franchise kicker, just throwing a scenario out there) for a guy that many on here say is overpaid, that is north of 30 and recovering from surgery? If Shrader plays big while Gay is out, it's a predicament they are going to have to think on, in my opinion. 

I'm not at all saying anyone is going to force Gay. I'm on the other end of it. What if Gay is trying to force us to let him play while a rookie is balling out in his position? And just for arguments sake... We had Matt Gay on our practice squad in 2020 when he was pulled to the Rams and played big for them. How many potential franchise kickers are we willing to let get pulled off practice squads or waivers while we watch ours struggle through injuries? Seems to be a trend.

Again the coach decides who is going to play.  Not the player.  He wants to win and will play the players that will help him do that.  If Shrader plays let’s hope he does well.  He was a 60+% kicker in college, not great, and could have signed elsewhere after we cut him.  He didn’t and is now on our practice squad.  Gay is a proven NFL kicker when healthy.  He even won a game for the Colts last year with multiple field goals.  I hope Shrader doesn’t let us down if he plays.  Hopefully he plays great.  I don’t think anyone worries about what if’s.  Just go out there do your job and see what happens.  I trust the coaches to play the best players.

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Oh gee, he’s inactive. 

Who’d have * thought?

Who, I ask!

It’s awesome to dedicate two whole * roster spots to kickers. 

Bored Come On GIF

Well,   they aren't going to cut Gay.  So 2 roster spots were going to be used .  

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Well,   they aren't going to cut Gay.  So 2 roster spots were going to be used .  

There should be a list where players who can’t play can go while they’re injured, and then come back when they’re ready. Like a reserve for the injured. 

Maybe the football generations of the future will have such a tool at their disposal, entirely unlike ours. 

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Again the coach decides who is going to play.  Not the player.  He wants to win and will play the players that will help him do that.  If Shrader plays let’s hope he does well.  He was a 60+% kicker in college, not great, and could have signed elsewhere after we cut him.  He didn’t and is now on our practice squad.  Gay is a proven NFL kicker when healthy.  He even won a game for the Colts last year with multiple field goals.  I hope Shrader doesn’t let us down if he plays.  Hopefully he plays great.  I don’t think anyone worries about what if’s.  Just go out there do your job and see what happens.  I trust the coaches to play the best players.

I didn’t suggest otherwise. I’m not suggesting anything, just posing a question if it becomes a predicament if he plays well and Gay is still hurt. what are the options- you never answered that, you just put your opinion on Steichen playing the best player. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm guessing the team didn't want to be without the starting kicker for 4 weeks.   Just a hunch

Right. 

As he recovers from an injury that is going to last that long, and possibly longer. 

Do me a favor, will you? Next time you have a hunch, shove it up your * and don’t bother me with it, eh? 

Just now, John Waylon said:

Right. 

As he recovers from an injury that is going to last that long, and possibly longer. 

Do me a favor, will you? Next time you have a hunch, shove it up your * and don’t bother me with it, eh? 

I didn't know you were his tending physician.    Thanks for the update doc.

38 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I didn’t suggest otherwise. I’m not suggesting anything, just posing a question if it becomes a predicament if he plays well and Gay is still hurt. what are the options- you never answered that, you just put your opinion on Steichen playing the best player. 

He plays until Gay is healthy.  Pretty simple actually.