Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 Paris Summer Olympics

I’m following the swimming with so many Hoosiers involved. 

Triathlon might be in jeopardy… the River Siene has been closed to swimming for 100 years because of heavy pollution, and while France has tried to clean it, the bacteria levels are still too high at the moment. 

Going to be interesting. 

11 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Triathlon might be in jeopardy… the River Siene has been closed to swimming for 100 years because of heavy pollution, and while France has tried to clean it, the bacteria levels are still too high at the moment. 

That sucks big time... maybe they'll move locations?

On 7/11/2024 at 7:37 AM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I thought I'd start a thread in case people were into the summer olympics as much as I am.

I'm all in on team USA basketball, anyone catch the game last night?

I will watch allot, but not sure what events.  The basketball don't interest me much.  Maybe if other countries challenge the USA I will watch some.  

On 7/14/2024 at 9:09 PM, holeymoley99 said:

What date does Breaking Dancing start ?

Not until August 9th, near the end of the Olympics.

On 7/14/2024 at 4:55 PM, Myles said:

I will watch allot, but not sure what events.  The basketball don't interest me much.  Maybe if other countries challenge the USA I will watch some.  

Yeah I’m just not as into basketball as I should be as a Hoosier… 

Swimming, diving, track and field, canoe slalom, biking and a bunch of other sports interest me more. The drama of gymnastics is always interesting. Handball is pretty interesting to watch…

Heck they’ve got skateboarding too.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Not until August 9th, near the end of the Olympics.

Yeah I’m just not as into basketball as I should be as a Hoosier… 

Swimming, diving, track and field, canoe slalom, biking and a bunch of other sports interest me more. The drama of gymnastics is always interesting. Handball is pretty interesting to watch…

Heck they’ve got skateboarding too.

homer simpson friend GIF- Homer thinks Biking is cool.

• Like 1

Cricket and Flag Football, I am curious to see how those sports play out. 

How on earth did Trampoline get on there? I want corn hole and bass fishing added next. :) 

Sports like Triathons should get 3 gold medals and all team sports should get 2 medals, for all the efforts that go into it, LOL 😁

• Like 1

I had planned to watch a;;of the Olympics but have changed my mind.   When they included and defended using drag queens mocking the Last Supper, I was done.  More woke division.   I wouldn't care if they used drags queens for their show but to intentionally p*** off 2 billion Christians world wide is awful.   I am an atheist.

I'm actually rooting against the USA basketball team this olympics.  For no better reason than the extreme hubris of LeBron.  For those playing at home, "hubris" is one of my all-time favorite words.  It's an ancient Greek word meaning "to boast so much of yourself that it offends the gods".  Yeah, something like that.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I had planned to watch a;;of the Olympics but have changed my mind.   When they included and defended using drag queens mocking the Last Supper, I was done.  More woke division.   I wouldn't care if they used drags queens for their show but to intentionally p*** off 2 billion Christians world wide is awful.   I am an atheist.

You can still support American athletes who had absolutely nothing to do with the France’s choices in the opening ceremony. The French always do weird things that sometimes upset people. If they were to have depicted Mohammed and offended followers of Islam would you have been as upset? So much ethnocentrism these days…

And wasn’t that whole depiction about a Greek legend? I’m pretty sure it was just a coincidence of similarities. 

9 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm actually rooting against the USA basketball team this olympics.  For no better reason than the extreme hubris of LeBron.  For those playing at home, "hubris" is one of my all-time favorite words.  It's an ancient Greek word meaning "to boast so much of yourself that it offends the gods".  Yeah, something like that.

I am torn on that.  They should win every game easily so if they lose to a decent country, I won't be upset.  Not France though.  

7 hours ago, RollerColt said:

You can still support American athletes who had absolutely nothing to do with the France’s choices in the opening ceremony. The French always do weird things that sometimes upset people. If they were to have depicted Mohammed and offended followers of Islam would you have been as upset? So much ethnocentrism these days…

And wasn’t that whole depiction about a Greek legend? I’m pretty sure it was just a coincidence of similarities. 

If they would have chosen any large group of people to mock, I would have been upset.  

31 minutes ago, Myles said:

I am torn on that.  They should win every game easily so if they lose to a decent country, I won't be upset.  Not France though.  

If they would have chosen any large group of people to mock, I would have been upset.  

I’m a Catholic. I could honestly care less. But I’ve got thick skin. I’ve been mocked to my face by people most of my life. 

19 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I’m a Catholic. I could honestly care less. But I’ve got thick skin. I’ve been mocked to my face by people most of my life. 

What annoys me is that they chose to mock a large group of people in the world.  Chose and were defended by the Paris Olympic committee.  Like having black trans folks eating fried chicken and watermelon, or Asian trans people pretending to wreck cars.  

27 minutes ago, Myles said:

What annoys me is that they chose to mock a large group of people in the world.  Chose and were defended by the Paris Olympic committee.  Like having black trans folks eating fried chicken and watermelon, or Asian trans people pretending to wreck cars.  

As opposed to mocking a minority group? 

I’m going to move on from this convo…

Women’s basketball team played today and did well. Gymnastics was also excellent. I decided to watch some mountain biking for the heck of it. Super impressive how they go through the endurance to go up and down a mountain over and over again.

15 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Ledecky won Gold in the mile swim today, even managed to break her own Olympic record time in the process. She now has 8 gold medals at the Olympics. 

Greatest female swimmer of all time and there have been many amazing performers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Greatest female swimmer of all time and there have been many amazing performers. 

I agree! And she's not even done yet! With her talent and strength I can easily see her competing in the long distance swimming for years to come. 

• Like 1

Team USA had a great day today. Women won the swimming 4x100 medley, Finke broke the men’s world record for swimming the 1500m, Lyles won the 100m dash in the closest race I’ve seen in running (he won by about 2 inches!), Faulkner won the road cycling race and is the first American woman to win it in 40 years! 

And Scottie Scheffler won gold for men’s golf!  

• Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 8:12 PM, RollerColt said:

Team USA had a great day today. Women won the swimming 4x100 medley, Finke broke the men’s world record for swimming the 1500m, Lyles won the 100m dash in the closest race I’ve seen in running (he won by about 2 inches!), Faulkner won the road cycling race and is the first American woman to win it in 40 years! 

And Scottie Scheffler won gold for men’s golf!  

Lyles win in the 100 is something I'll remember forever. We watched it live, and couldn't believe it. I thought it was too close to tell with the naked eye, and was stunned the announcers were calling it. My wife agreed with them and was arguing with me until Lyles started celebrating. That is a true photo finish, .005... unreal. 

Scheffler's performance, especially that back nine, was incredible. I was following a little online, looked once early on and he was down quite a few strokes and I thought he was out of it, looked back and he had ripped off 5 straight birdies and was towards the top. We tuned in and watched the finish. Fleetwood dropped the ball on 17, or it could have been interesting... But very happy for Scottie. He's been through a lot this year, and that national anthem on the podium showed his emotion.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 12:01 PM, John Hammonds said:

I don't see it the same way. The guy has been a microscope his entire life and has been nothing but an upstanding citizen, husband and father. He's considered a great teammate, and is actually very unselfish on the court in a lot of ways. I've enjoyed watching LeBron throughout his career and think he deserves the recognition he continues to receive. 

Name a top 10 all-time basketball player that wasn't flawed as a human being. 

32 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't see it the same way. The guy has been a microscope his entire life and has been nothing but an upstanding citizen, husband and father. He's considered a great teammate, and is actually very unselfish on the court in a lot of ways. I've enjoyed watching LeBron throughout his career and think he deserves the recognition he continues to receive. 

Name a top 10 all-time basketball player that wasn't flawed as a human being. 

When it comes to LeBron regarding basketball and his political views, I don't like the guy at all. Him leaving the Cavs in the 1st place to join a stacked Miami team to insure he would win a ring or 2 was weak. Having said that I am unbiased when I do lists and go by what a player has accomplished and how great they are on the court. When he did go to Miami, he was the best player on both their Championships teams despite Wade being there, he was the best player on the Cavs Championship team in 2016 when he went back, and he was the best player on the Lakers Championship team in 2020. He is also the all-time leading scorer and his longevity is unmatched. Is he the GOAT? I still say no, 2 players were better than him = Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson, but I would put him 3rd and I don't even like the guy. It pains me to put him ahead of Bird, Kareem, and guys like Kobe and Shaq because I liked those guys and those players were outstanding, but it is what it is.

Regarding medals, we have the most and it isn't even close. I am rooting for the USA Basketball team mainly because Haliburton is on that team because like I said, I don't like LeBron at all, I don't like Tatum either - he is overrated. 

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When it comes to LeBron regarding basketball and his political views, I don't like the guy at all. Him leaving the Cavs in the 1st place to join a stacked Miami team to insure he would win a ring or 2 was weak. Having said that I am unbiased when I do lists and go by what a player has accomplished and how great they are on the court. When he did go to Miami, he was the best player on both their Championships teams despite Wade being there, he was the best player on the Cavs Championship team in 2016 when he went back, and he was the best player on the Lakers Championship team in 2020. He is also the all-time leading scorer and his longevity is unmatched. Is he the GOAT? I still say no, 2 players were better than him = Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson, but I would put him 3rd and I don't even like the guy. It pains me to put him ahead of Bird, Kareem, and guys like Kobe and Shaq because I liked those guys and those players were outstanding, but it is what it is.

Regarding medals, we have the most and it isn't even close. I am rooting for the USA Basketball team mainly because Haliburton is on that team because like I said, I don't like LeBron at all, I don't like Tatum either - he is overrated. 

I don't watch sports to judge political views. I don't blame people with massive platforms to speak their mind, so it doesn't bother me like it does others. People have different views, it has no effect on me. I never blamed him for leaving Cleveland. They weren't doing anything to help him win. He wasn't able to draw anyone of substance to help combat the forming super teams, especially the Celtics at the time. I think him going back to Cleveland was awesome. That championship series, coming back down 3-1 against a powerhouse in GS and having an iconic block in game 7, after a dominant game 6, was career defining in my opinion. Cleveland hadn't won jack in most people's lifetimes. LeBron went to, what 10 straight finals? Even in a weak East, it was insane... 

As far as the olympics go, I can cheer for individuals from other nations (not China), as long as they aren't winning over favored or close races with Americans, but I will not root against the USA in team sport, under any circumstance. There is no excuse for USA basketball to not win gold, men or womens. Zero

33 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't watch sports to judge political views. I don't blame people with massive platforms to speak their mind, so it doesn't bother me like it does others. People have different views, it has no effect on me. I never blamed him for leaving Cleveland. They weren't doing anything to help him win. He wasn't able to draw anyone of substance to help combat the forming super teams, especially the Celtics at the time. I think him going back to Cleveland was awesome. That championship series, coming back down 3-1 against a powerhouse in GS and having an iconic block in game 7, after a dominant game 6, was career defining in my opinion. Cleveland hadn't won jack in most people's lifetimes. LeBron went to, what 10 straight finals? Even in a weak East, it was insane... 

As far as the olympics go, I can cheer for individuals from other nations (not China), as long as they aren't winning over favored or close races with Americans, but I will not root against the USA in team sport, under any circumstance. There is no excuse for USA basketball to not win gold, men or womens. Zero

We should win Gold in both men's and women's basketball. Haliburton is my guy but even if he wasn't on the team I would still root for them because it is the USA. The women's team leaving Clark off, pee'd me off to no end but I still hope they win. I live in this country and think it's the best place to live in the world despite what some think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We should win Gold in both men's and women's basketball. Haliburton is my guy but even if he wasn't on the team I would still root for them because it is the USA. The women's team leaving Clark off, pee'd me off to no end but I still hope they win. I live in this country and think it's the best place to live in the world despite what some think.

Leaving Clark off was a move out of spite, not logic. She's made them eat their words and decision, and they've backpeddled. They know she would have helped the team, and draw more eyes to their games. It shouldn't be a hard decision. I loved watching the all-star game and the others beat up on the olympic team, even though she wasn't the reason it happened. 

It's a farewell tour for Taurasi, which is unfortunate. It's not like she's contributing like LeBron is. This may be LeBron's farewell tour, but he's still arguably the best on the court. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Leaving Clark off was a move out of spite, not logic. She's made them eat their words and decision, and they've backpeddled. They know she would have helped the team, and draw more eyes to their games. It shouldn't be a hard decision. I loved watching the all-star game and the others beat up on the olympic team, even though she wasn't the reason it happened. 

Clark is great isn't she Womens Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness. Regarding LeBron, I agree with you regarding I put my personal feelings aside and just judge him and each player how great they are on the court. I have really only seen 2 players that I can say definitively that were better, Michael and Magic, outside of that I would be trying to find things to why he isn't better than so and so. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Clark is great isn't she Womens Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness. Regarding LeBron, I agree with you regarding I put my personal feelings aside and just judge him and each player how great they are on the court. I have really only seen 2 players that I can say definitively that were better, Micheal and Magic, outside of that I would be trying to find things to why he isn't better than so and so. 

I understand the MJ argument, but I have a hard time comparing Magic, who played with the all-time leading scorer (until LeBron surpassed) for the majority of his career. No doubt, Magic was amazing. I read a bio on him when i was younger and have always had great respect. My feeling on LeBron is that he played at a level rarely seen, from the get-go, under extreme criticism/glorification, and has done it for an insane amount of time. The stuff he still does on a court at nearly 40 years old, is remarkable to me. This isn't Tom Brady reading defenses and quick striking from a pocket in the NFL. This is a guy that is still a dominant athlete in his older age. And now gets to play with his son... It's remarkable. And I get the Bronny argument. He had a relatively strong combine workout, but at the end of the day, it's a move that's based on respect for his father and for viewership purposes, in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I understand the MJ argument, but I have a hard time comparing Magic, who played with the all-time leading scorer (until LeBron surpassed) for the majority of his career. No doubt, Magic was amazing. I read a bio on him when i was younger and have always had great respect. My feeling on LeBron is that he played at a level rarely seen, from the get-go, under extreme criticism/glorification, and has done it for an insane amount of time. The stuff he still does on a court at nearly 40 years old, is remarkable to me. This isn't Tom Brady reading defenses and quick striking from a pocket in the NFL. This is a guy that is still a dominant athlete in his older age. And now gets to play with his son... It's remarkable. And I get the Bronny argument. He had a relatively strong combine workout, but at the end of the day, it's a move that's based on respect for his father and for viewership purposes, in my opinion. 

Here is my argument for Magic to being better. He won a Championship in college as a sophomore beating Larry Bird. He won a Championship in the NBA as a Rookie when Kareem got injured and won Finals MVP (1980). He was 20 years old when he done that, not 1 player has yet to win Finals MVP as a rookie since Magic did it. Magic went to 9 Finals in 12 years but won 5 Championships, 1 more than LeBron. Magic is the all-time leader in Assist average per game over a career = 11.2, not even Stockton averaged that many over his career. Despite being an unselfish player, he still averaged right at 20 points a game for his career (he knew when LA needed him to score) and he was clutch when he had to score. He beat Boston in Game 4 with a hook to win at the buzzer (1987 Finals), otherwise that series would have been 2-2, instead of 3-1. Last but not least, he was named player of the decade during the 80's, a decade that had Bird and Jordan in it.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is my argument for Magic to being better. He won a Championship in college as a sophomore beating Larry Bird. He won a Championship in the NBA as a Rookie when Kareem got injured and won Finals MVP (1980). He was 20 years old when he done that, not 1 player has yet to win Finals MVP as a rookie since Magic did it. Magic went to 9 Finals in 12 years but won 5 Championships, 1 more than LeBron. Magic is the all-time leader in Assist average per game over a career = 11.2, not even Stockton averaged that many over his career. Despite being an unselfish player, he still averaged right at 20 points a game for his career (he knew when LA needed him to score) and he was clutch when he had to score. He beat Boston in Game 4 with a hook to win at the buzzer (1987 Finals), otherwise that series would have been 2-2, instead of 3-1. Last but not least, he was named player of the decade during the 80's, a decade that had Bird and Jordan in it.

I get it. In a lot of ways they are similar style players. Facilitators above scorers, but can do anything when needed. Similar size. Can play any position if called upon. A lot of people said comparing LeBron to MJ was wrong. Kobe was that comparison. LeBron and Magic are the comparison, stylistically. 

The only thing I can dispute on your points is the college record, as LeBron obviously didn't even have one. One can imagine what he would have done in 1 year of college at Ohio State or Duke... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I get it. In a lot of ways they are similar style players. Facilitators above scorers, but can do anything when needed. Similar size. Can play any position if called upon. A lot of people said comparing LeBron to MJ was wrong. Kobe was that comparison. LeBron and Magic are the comparison, stylistically. 

The only thing I can dispute on your points is the college record, as LeBron obviously didn't even have one. One can imagine what he would have done in 1 year of college at Ohio State or Duke... 

In that Game 6 vs Philly in the Finals, Magic score 42 points, 15 rebounds, and had 7 assists. Statistically overall, LeBron is better but that is because of longevity. Magic even won a Gold Medal in 1992 lol. 

Good comparisons by the way, Jordan/Kobe, Magic/LeBron is spot on. I like to compare Dirk to Bird as well, Dirk is a top 20 player easily IMO. Bird was a better passer but other than that their shooting was pretty even.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In that Game 6 vs Philly in the Finals, Magic score 42 points, 15 rebounds, and had 7 assists. Statistically overall, LeBron is better but that is because of longevity. Magic even won a Gold Medal in 1992 lol. 

Good comparisons by the way, Jordan/Kobe, Magic/LeBron is spot on. I like to compare Dirk to Bird as well, Dirk is a top 20 player easily IMO. Bird was a better passer but other than that their shooting was pretty even.

Wild the comparisons. In game 6 of the 2016 finals, LeBron scored 41, 11 assists, 8 rebounds, making it consecutive 40 pt final performances. Everyone focuses on game 7 performances, but game 6 has had some of the greatest...

Yeah, put them side by side in clips and you'll see the comparisons. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Wild the comparisons. In game 6 of the 2016 finals, LeBron scored 41, 11 assists, 8 rebounds, making it consecutive 40 pt final performances. Everyone focuses on game 7 performances, but game 6 has had some of the greatest...

Yeah, put them side by side in clips and you'll see the comparisons. 

LeBron's best Championship was 2016. Beating that Warriors team was sensational. That block he had on Iggy saved the game too. LeBron and Magic both have had similar stats in big playoff games, kind of scary in a good way when you look at it.

• Like 1