Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL New Kickoff Rule Warrants Some Discussion

chad72

Based on how this rule is written, kickoffs out of bounds laterally after a roll from within the landing zone will not be placed at the 40 yard line, it will be placed at the 20 yard line. Did I read that right?

So, if I am a kicker, that is what I go after, an angled kick towards the 5 or 10 yard line that might go out of bounds. If the returner is super good enough to field it, he is probably going to lose field position if 1 or 2 from the opposing coverage units get through his unit.

This info is incorrect 

" The ball will be placed at the 35-yard-line as it is now, however now the ball must land inside a 20-yard “landing zone” before the goal line. As long as the ball hits the turf (or is received) inside the landing zone, it’s a legal kick. If the ball makes its first contact outside the landing zone, including being kicked through the back of the end zone, it will result in a touchback — with the ball being placed at the opposing 35-yard line.  Yes... THE OPPOSING 35-YARD LINE. As in, only 15 yards away from the Red Zone. However, this only applies on the initial contact, not the roll. If the ball touches inside the landing zone, and then rolls out it will be placed at the receiving team’s 20 yard line, a substantial change to the current rule."  

A touchback comes out to the 30.    

Not a fan. Looks weird lining up. 

Very different than what we've had since what seems like forever.

Looks dumb visually to me. 

It is what it is I guess.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:11 PM, jvan1973 said:

A touchback comes out to the 30.    

I had thought they changed that to come out to the 25 yard line?   I am not certain though.