Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Around the NFL 2024 Off-season signings, trades and other news

w87r

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I bet the Falcons win that division now, he is better than Baker and Carr.

That's how it would seem, but Kirk will manage to win some and lose some, in the end they will be forever hanging around in the same place, fighting for play-off spot and never getting closer to any championship. They're on hook for few years, if not all 4 and more. 

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

That's how it would seem, but Kirk will manage to win some and lose some, in the end they will be forever hanging around in the same place, fighting for play-off spot and never getting closer to any championship. They're on hook for few years, if not all 4 and more. 

We were 13-3 with Keenum. We upgraded the QB position with Cousins and missed the playoffs.

Returning to free agency news,

• Like 2

I read that Jordan Hicks signed with the Browns. Anyone see that? I thought the Vikes should have retained Hicks.

Danielle Hunter is still out there. I'm surprised he is still unsigned.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

It smells like the Vikes draft a qb I think.

One domino to still fall is Fields. But if one of the teams ahead of the Vikes in the draft pull out a trade for him, one of the top 4 prospects could easily fall into their lap with trading up to maybe 5th to 7th pick. Shouldn't be too expensive.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Has Tyrod Taylor ever played a full year? He seems so oft-injured.

He did when he was in Buffalo, but you're not wrong about the injuries. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@Yoshinator Your hometown Broncos are losing everyone. Are they tanking?

They are definitely rebuilding yes. They released Simmons to get more salary cap, and traded Jeudy for a 5th and 6th round pick. Russell Wilson cost a ton of dead cap and they had to make up for it. They got Brandon Jones to replace Simmons and Wil Lutz back, but lost Cushenberry. They couldn't afford $12.5 million. They had $31 million in cap at the beginning of FA, but have a bit less now.

They put in a bid for Cousins but weren't even close to what the Falcons offered. So I'm guessing they are going to just draft a QB at 12 now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I read that Jordan Hicks signed with the Browns. Anyone see that? I thought the Vikes should have retained Hicks.

Danielle Hunter is still out there. I'm surprised he is still unsigned.

Feel bad for losing Hicks, but at least they replaced him with another capable ILB in Blake Cashman. I think you're just seeing what kind of players Flores want in his defense for what he wants to do. I liked Cashman from his draft days, so that was a great pickup. I think Vikings invested well in defense so far, and we just need to adjust to losing our favorite free agents. Hunter will get signed soon, he's probably looking for a suitable team or price range. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

They are definitely rebuilding yes. They released Simmons to get more salary cap, and traded Jeudy for a 5th and 6th round pick. Russell Wilson cost a ton of dead cap and they had to make up for it. They got Brandon Jones to replace Simmons and Wil Lutz back, but lost Cushenberry. They couldn't afford $12.5 million. They had $31 million in cap at the beginning of FA, but have a bit less now.

They put in a bid for Cousins but weren't even close to what the Falcons offered. So I'm guessing they are going to just draft a QB at 12 now.

Sean Payton is a bit overrated. Russell Wilson has never done well for more than maybe a year or two when he has been the sole focal point of an offense, can't run an offense like you ran with Drew Brees making the QB the focal point at this stage of RW's career. RW, at this point in his career, can manage the game well and be efficient with a good running game and D, which is what the Steelers are hoping for 1 year but RW will take plenty of sacks given the pressure the Ravens and Browns bring. That AFC North is going to be a gauntlet, glad the Colts are not in it.

Broncos will be a good spot for J J McCarthy i.e. if the Vikings don't get him. Falcons scored big with all the talent on their roster without giving up any picks for a QB, just like the Broncos landed Peyton a few years ago, I expect the Falcons to be in the divisional round this year in the NFC at least with a division title and 1 playoff win. Now it is a battle between the Broncos and Vikings for who moves up for the QB they want because after the Top 3 in Caleb Williams, Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels, they will be fighting for the 4th guy for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sean Payton is a bit overrated. Russell Wilson has never done well for more than maybe a year or two when he has been the sole focal point of an offense, can't run an offense like you ran with Drew Brees making the QB the focal point at this stage of RW's career. RW, at this point in his career, can manage the game well and be efficient with a good running game and D, which is what the Steelers are hoping for 1 year but RW will take plenty of sacks given the pressure the Ravens and Browns bring. That AFC North is going to be a gauntlet, glad the Colts are not in it.

Broncos will be a good spot for J J McCarthy i.e. if the Vikings don't get him. Falcons scored big with all the talent on their roster without giving up any picks for a QB, just like the Broncos landed Peyton a few years ago, I expect the Falcons to be in the divisional round this year in the NFC at least with a division title and 1 playoff win. Now it is a battle between the Broncos and Vikings for who moves up for the QB they want because after the Top 3 in Caleb Williams, Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels, they will be fighting for the 4th guy for sure.

Sean Payton is definitely overrated. He runs a simple offensive scheme where he has the QB throw screens to RBs and short to intermediate passes. He's also not a creative play caller. As a Broncos fan, I worry no matter what QB they draft, the QB will be used exactly the same. 

I think the Broncos will have to trade up for McCarthy if they want him. They may end up doing that. The Falcons no longer need a QB, so it may just come down to moving ahead of the Vikings (though the Giants could be a problem). 

Broncos are definitely in a rebuild and will be starting over this year.

7 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

It smells like the Vikes draft a qb I think.

One domino to still fall is Fields. But if one of the teams ahead of the Vikes in the draft pull out a trade for him, one of the top 4 prospects could easily fall into their lap with trading up to maybe 5th to 7th pick. Shouldn't be too expensive.

What are your thoughts?

Maybe. I don't think we signed Darnold to a one-year deal for him to be our QB of the future. I would like J. Daniels. I am not sure how much I like the others. For a while I liked Maye, but I am not so sure. I do think we will draft a QB.

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Feel bad for losing Hicks, but at least they replaced him with another capable ILB in Blake Cashman. I think you're just seeing what kind of players Flores want in his defense for what he wants to do. I liked Cashman from his draft days, so that was a great pickup. I think Vikings invested well in defense so far, and we just need to adjust to losing our favorite free agents. Hunter will get signed soon, he's probably looking for a suitable team or price range. 

We signed your guy, Aaron Jones. 1 year, $7 million. I'm happy with that.

People are complaining that Darnold got too much. $10 million for just one year is better than being stuck in a $100 million deal. I like Darnold. @w87r  What are your thoughts on USC's former QB, Sam Darnold? I know you liked Kirk but there was absolutely no way we were signing him to anything close to what Atlanta gave him.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Maybe. I don't think we signed Darnold to a one-year deal for him to be our QB of the future. I would like J. Daniels. I am not sure how much I like the others. For a while I liked Maye, but I am not so sure. I do think we will draft a QB.

Vikings got Aaron Jones, I thought I was wishfully thinking. 

31 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

People are complaining that Darnold got too much. $10 million for just one year is better than being stuck in a $100 million deal. I like Darnold. @w87r  What are your thoughts on USC's former QB, Sam Darnold? I know you liked Kirk but there was absolutely no way we were signing him to anything close to what Atlanta gave him.

Yeah, for sure .. i'm sure Darnold would've had enough pursuitors, and that was the price that got him.

I'd draft a QB only if they really feel he could be great. I hope they do their evaluations right, none of the QBs including Williams or Daniels are impressive but I can see the appeal.. I've not watched Maye or others behind yet.

Daniels has a very slender frame, and he runs recklessly, sometimes through the pack of defenders, and doesn't slide in caution. I thought Richardson could handle the hits with his muscular build but Daniels would get hurt bad if he runs in the NFL like that. I don't know how smart he is about taking care of not getting hit while running around. That's the major concern for me. He looks like a lean Jalen Hurts. He needs NFL strength and conditioning, I'm not sure he's ready to start. 

41 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Not sure you want my thoughts.

I like Darnold, I feel bad for him though. The way the fans treated Kirk when he was there, even since he's signed to Atlanta, here on the site.

Good luck Darnold, hope you have a good year and resurrect your career and then go somewhere where you might be appreciated next off-season.

Just to keep the thread (almost)complete:

Henry to Ravens:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39715941/ravens-sign-ex-titans-rb-derrick-henry-sources-say

Queen to Steelers. Spicy....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39716225/lb-patrick-queen-agrees-3-year-41m-deal-steelers

Texans trade for Mixon:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39715405/source-texans-trading-bengals-rb-joe-mixon

Backup/Bridge QB additions:

Winston to Browns

Lock to Giants

Mariota to Commanders

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, w87r said:

I like Darnold, I feel bad for him though. The way the fans treated Kirk when he was there, even since he's signed to Atlanta, here on the site.

Good luck Darnold, hope you have a good year and resurrect your career and then go somewhere where you might be appreciated next off-season.

Thanks. I'm very hopeful with Darnold. He is young (26 or so) and has not been given much of a chance. I think he is underrated. He is reunited with Josh McCown who is his QB coach. They know each other from their days with the Jets.  Most importantly for us is that Sam does not cost much and allows us to bolster the team. If he plays well, we can extend him. I am very pleased. That is my favorite signing so far.

I hope we keep Hunter and don't cut Harrison Smith. :)

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I'm very hopeful with Darnold. He is young (26 or so) and has not been given much of a chance. I think he is underrated. He is reunited with Josh McCown who is his QB coach. They know each other from their days with the Jets.  Most importantly for us is that Sam does not cost much and allows us to bolster the team. If he plays well, we can extend him. I am very pleased. That is my favorite signing so far.

I hope we keep Hunter and don't cut Harrison Smith. :)

Hunter just went to the Texans 

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Hunter just went to the Texans 

I'm 😭. But it is okay. We probably could not pay him. Texans traded Greenard for Hunter. Greenard better be good. :)

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I'm 😭. But it is okay. We probably could not pay him. Texans traded Greenard for Hunter. Greenard better be good. :)

Thank you.

You probably got the better end of the deal 

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

78.2 PFF grade

Hunter had a 78.

So they are comparable there.

Greenard is $5m cheaper.

Thanks.

Btw, the other reason I like Darnold is because I watched him a lot in college. He beat my Stanford Cardinal almost every game he played. I think he had only one loss against Stanford.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Thanks.

Btw, the other reason I like Darnold is because I watched him a lot in college. He beat my Stanford Cardinal almost every game he played. I think he had only one loss against Stanford.

I think he will do fine

Now trade us JJ. 

#15 and 2025 2nd

Just now, w87r said:

I think he will do fine

Now trade us JJ. 

#15 and 2025 2nd

Someone who lives in Cincinnati said that there is a rumor of a possible trade involving JJ and the Bengals. JJ for Tee Higgins and this year's first round draft picks. That is not enough for JJ. But that would be a great trade for the Bengals. JJ reunited with Burrow and Chase. That will be an unstoppable offense. @RollerColtthoughts?

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Someone who lives in Cincinnati said that there is a rumor of a possible trade involving JJ and the Bengals. JJ for Tee Higgins and this year's first round draft picks. That is not enough for JJ. But that would be a great trade for the Bengals. JJ reunited with Burrow and Chase. That will be an unstoppable offense. @RollerColtthoughts?

Here it is, the rumor:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/3/12/24099026/justin-jefferson-trade-vikings-bengals-tyler-eifert-jokes

The Super Bowl is in New Orleans, go figure, an LSU re-union!!! :) 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That's only late 3rd value on the pick swap.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That would be nuts. I don’t see it happening to be honest, but I’d certainly be having some high expectations if it were to happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think he will do fine

Now trade us JJ. 

#15 and 2025 2nd

We definitely need more than that. Basically you're giving us a second rounder. We need two first rounders.

By the way, I have not followed free agency news today. Did the Colts sign anyone else? Did Armstead sign anywhere?

Just now, NFLfan said:

We definitely need more than that. Basically you're giving us a second rounder. We need two first rounders.

By the way, I have not followed free agency news today. Did the Colts sign anyone else? Did Armstead sign anywhere?

Colts signed Raekwon Davis NT from Dolphins 6'7" 335lbs.

2yr $14m

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

Just to keep the thread (almost)complete:

Henry to Ravens:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39715941/ravens-sign-ex-titans-rb-derrick-henry-sources-say

Queen to Steelers. Spicy....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39716225/lb-patrick-queen-agrees-3-year-41m-deal-steelers

Texans trade for Mixon:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39715405/source-texans-trading-bengals-rb-joe-mixon

Backup/Bridge QB additions:

Winston to Browns

Lock to Giants

Mariota to Commanders

Thank you. The Texans have made some good moves. Hunter, Autry, Mixon and more.

I always get the feeling that the NFL owners are sitting in a large champagne jacuzzies betting which one will spend the most money every year. All older players shake their heads when they learn what players are making now. 

19 hours ago, w87r said:

If the QB you thought would be your franchise QB first of all doesn't perform for the worth of elite money he demands, then at the first opportunity bolts for any team that continues to pay elite QB money, well that's the appreciation Kirk gets.

He wants money, and wanted all that in fully guaranteed deals with Vikings leaving no room for cap restructure like Mahomes does for the Chiefs. You know the cap implications very well, you can look at Kirk's history from that perspective.

Kirk was very much appreciated by majority of Vikings fans, even to the level beyond what he deserved. He was well celebrated throughout his Vikings tenure, but in the end the ROI on him was not good enough, and that's what matters to the franchise. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks.

Greenard might have had same PFF grade as Hunter last year, but Hunter had years of great experience to Greenard's one great year.

And, he's missed some time in between, I think. He needs to stay healthy, and needs to produce.

Hunter couldn't be paid that money by Vikings after bringing in Greenard and Ginkel, so hope is they both give similar production and not be a setback. I'm waiting to see if they're able to re-sign Wonnum, if they do that'd look better. 

• Like 1