Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Jim Irsay’s Twitter TODAY: Andrew Luck IS FINALLY returning to the Colts at the upcoming 12th annual Chuckstrong Tailgate Gala

csmopar

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

To your later points, I think this event is a test to see how receptive local fans are to Luck at a colts event. If it goes well, I could see some sort of honoring ceremony or even the ROH in the future. If it goes poorly, I can’t imagine Irsay would try to honor him anytime soon.

It won't go poorly.   Indy fans are a loving sort.  If it were Philly,  much different story

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

I appreciate the bluntness, both the compliment and the criticism. 

Part of my Luck criticism and its harshness is admittedly tied to my tolerance, or lack thereof, of quitters and misleaders. Everyone lies, that’s a fact of human life. But to deceive to the level he did, yeah that’s a character flaw in my mind. And based on the discussion before, you have about half the fan base that feels that way.

The only thing that would make that situation worse, is for Luck to be brought into the RoH(let’s pretend he has the stats and impact to be there for sake of this), brought out to LOS field during the game and hear a crap ton of drunk people booing him… again. That, as much as I dislike Lucks actions in 2019, would not be good for Luck or the Colts. 

Personally, I’d be fine if the Colts held off putting Luck into the RoH for 10 years from his retirement.  So 2029.   Let time heal wounds.   

But when you write about lying and deceiving,  it stuns me because it makes me say you learned nothing about Luck all the years he was here before things went bad at the end.   Luck is simply not wired to lie and deceive.  To be sure, he’s a massive withholder of the highest order and his need for privacy and control borders on the paranoid.   And I’ve blasted him for years for mishandling the end of his career.   But I’ve never thought of him as a liar or trying to deceive.  I’m not saying he’s never lied in his life, as you say,  we all do, humans are flawed.  

But you see him playing catch in that last pre-season game and you think he was lying and deceiving the fans.  I think all Luck saw was a chance to play catch with his best friends one last time.  That’s all.  I don’t think it ever occurred to Luck that he was sending out the wrong or misleading message to fans.   Just a friendly game of catch.  For a guy as smart as Luck is, sometimes he’s a big dork. 

I sincerely meant every complimentary thing I wrote about you.   Yours is an important voice here in our community.  I just think your anger (or whatever adjective you prefer) with Luck clouds your better judgement.   I wish it wasn’t so. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally, I’d be fine if the Colts held off putting Luck into the RoH for 10 years from his retirement.  So 2029.   Let time heal wounds.   

But when you write about lying and deceiving,  it stuns me because it makes me say you learned nothing about Luck all the years he was here before things went bad at the end.   Luck is simply not wired to lie and deceive.  To be sure, he’s a massive withholder of the highest order and his need for privacy and control borders on the paranoid.   And I’ve blasted him for years for mishandling the end of his career.   But I’ve never thought of him as a liar or trying to deceive.  I’m not saying he’s never lied in his life, as you say,  we all do, humans are flawed.  

But you see him playing catch in that last pre-season game and you think he was lying and deceiving the fans.  I think all Luck saw was a chance to play catch with his best friends one last time.  That’s all.  I don’t think it ever occurred to Luck that he was sending out the wrong or misleading message to fans.   Just a friendly game of catch.  For a guy as smart as Luck is, sometimes he’s a big dork. 

I sincerely meant every complimentary thing I wrote about you.   Yours is an important voice here in our community.  I just think your anger (or whatever adjective you prefer) with Luck clouds your better judgement.   I wish it wasn’t so. 

Perhaps. That said, waiting 5 more years for things to settle, that MIGHT make it less raw for those of us that feel he wronged the Colts and the colts fan base with his handling of his retirement. (Note: I have no qualms with his actual retirement or the rational thought behind it). Especially if AR balls out, it’ll take some of the sting away.

Now, retirement handling aside, personal feelings aside, I’m not sure he deserves the RoH. The reason I say this is simple. If you look at every player in the RoH, including Harbaugh, they left the Colts in a better position than where they were when they because Colts players. Harbaugh put Indy into contention , Peyton, Marv, Freeney, Mathis etc, all took us to the big dance and won it.  Harbaugh is the weakest resume in that group but when you look at the time when he was inducted, he clearly was the cream of the top for Colts and Peyton was just starting to come to be the Peyton of legend. That bar has since been raised.

Luck won some games, 11-5 as a rookie is nothing to sneeze at. Nor is beating a prime Bronco defense and Manning TWICE and making it to the AFCCG.  But did he actually elevate the Colts as an organization? No, I don’t think so. He wasn’t an ambassador for the Colts, he wanted a private life and maintained that even when he was playing. Which is fine. I don’t mean this next part in a negative way, but to me , he’s like RG3, a couple decent play off runs on top of a couple beautiful seasons that ultimately resulted in no championships, and Uber short careers.  That doesn’t mean either were bad players, it just means they’re not to the level of “great” despite what natural or physical talents they may have once had.  

when I read the Ring of Honor for the Colts,

“The Indianapolis Colts Ring of Honor honors former players, coaches, club officials, and fans who made great, outstanding impacts and contributions to the Indianapolis Colts football organization and the community.”(Indy star) 

did Luck have good impacts, sure he did. But when compared to others in that Ring, his accomplishments are much more limited and do not equal or best the accomplishments of the other members in the RoH. The current members have raised that bar quite high since 1996. Luck comes in under it for me. 

in fact, there’s a whole slew of players that had much bigger and more sustained impacts and contributions to the Colts that need to go in first. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay will not have or wait 10 years or such if he wants Luck to be in ROH, and there's every indication that he'd like to have him there. He's not shown any remorse for Luck's retirement or how it spiralled the organization for few years, he knows it comes with the business and he'd have seen worse things over his life. He doesn't need time to heal nor need fans' support behind him. He'll do it when time comes. 

As for replying to @csmopar's main reservations, I agree Luck just wanted to be part of warm-ups in last game as anyone with emotion would do it for one last time with his teammates. 

I don’t think it ever occurred to Luck that he was sending out the wrong or misleading message to fans.

But, the point that @csmopar brings it again and again, and everyone else just  ignores and doesn't answer is the TV interview during pre-season that Luck purportedly gave in which he said he'd be ready to start in week 1. If that was true, it was certainly misleading. One could only guess he was cat on the wall at that time, and then he decided to retire. However, Luck did mislead fans in that instance, and that continued into the last pre-game warm-ups, Until Adam Schefter announced his retirement on the same day.

This (TV interview) is never discussed or answered here. People blame @csmopar all the time, but no one answers that, and then few weeks later same debate gets repeated, he reminds that and everyone else goes around the TV interview part. Just as in your reply. 

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Irsay will not have or wait 10 years or such if he wants Luck to be in ROH, and there's every indication that he'd like to have him there. He's not shown any remorse for Luck's retirement or how it spiralled the organization for few years, he knows it comes with the business and he'd have seen worse things over his life. He doesn't need time to heal nor need fans' support behind him. He'll do it when time comes. 

As for replying to @csmopar's main reservations, I agree Luck just wanted to be part of warm-ups in last game as anyone with emotion would do it for one last time with his teammates. 

But, the point that @csmopar brings it again and again, and everyone else just  ignores and doesn't answer is the TV interview during pre-season that Luck purportedly gave in which he said he'd be ready to start in week 1. If that was true, it was certainly misleading. One could only guess he was cat on the wall at that time, and then he decided to retire. However, Luck did mislead fans in that instance, and that continued into the last pre-game warm-ups, Until Adam Schefter announced his retirement on the same day.

This (TV interview) is never discussed or answered here. People blame @csmopar all the time, but no one answers that, and then few weeks later same debate gets repeated, he reminds that and everyone else goes around the TV interview part. Just as in your reply. 

Wasn’t just a TV interview, in fact he states MULTIPLE times from April 2019 thru training camp and thru the preseason. 

august 4th: Luck gives multiple interviews saying he’ll be ready for week 1. 

https://youtu.be/o1XqOpW6Ugg?si=gM661T8KVcBy3L3Y

august 5th: “Luck said he aggravated his calf during the offseason, through he didn't specify when he initially injured it and or when he suffered the aggravation.  

"It's just being stubborn, I guess," he said. 

On playing Week 1: "I certainly believe I will. That's a goal."  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/08/05/andrew-luck-injury-colts-quarterback-acknowledges-worry-during-peter-king-interview/1925334001/

august 14: Luck at practice in full in front of fans and media at open practice. Reich says Luck looks ready for week 1, but still rehabbing 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/08/14/colts-plan-make-decision-andrew-luck-injury-week-1-availability-after-3rd-preseason-game/1985484001/

August 19th: Luck goes through full warmups prior to preseason game against the Browns. Says in interview afterward, that he feels he’ll be ready week 1.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1RlCqWlH6Y/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=d81180d4-b618-412c-93ad-ec8495da084b&ig_mid=3C922293-D3B9-417E-AF52-9B06156261DD

august 20th: Reich announces that Luck will not be practicing the coming week(this is when  Luck claims to have made the announcement to the team according to the Dec 2022 ESPN article)

August 21st: Luck gives interview to NBC sports Peter King stating that his goal is to still pay week 1. 

August 23rd: Luck again goes through full warmups in front of home fans before preseason game. Later during the game, it is leaked he’s retiring. 

Luck deceived the world, fans etc. that was done deliberately and with full intent. No one wants to address it because video and audio from all the interviews show the serious flaws in how Luck handled the whole situation. His warm ups weren’t to play with his teammates it was done intentionally to keep the news of his pending retirement quiet. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, csmopar said:

August 19th: Luck goes through full warmups prior to preseason game against the Browns. Says in interview afterward, that he feels he’ll be ready week 1.

You got a link to that? That's what I don't remember.

25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wasn’t just a TV interview, in fact he states MULTIPLE times from April 2019 thru training camp and thru the preseason. 

august 5th: “Luck said he aggravated his calf during the offseason, through he didn't specify when he initially injured it and or when he suffered the aggravation.  

On playing Week 1: "I certainly believe I will. That's a goal."  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/08/05/andrew-luck-injury-colts-quarterback-acknowledges-worry-during-peter-king-interview/1925334001/

august 14: Luck at practice in full in front of fans and media at open practice. Reich says Luck looks ready for week 1, but still rehabbing 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/08/14/colts-plan-make-decision-andrew-luck-injury-week-1-availability-after-3rd-preseason-game/1985484001/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1RlCqWlH6Y/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=d81180d4-b618-412c-93ad-ec8495da084b&ig_mid=3C922293-D3B9-417E-AF52-9B06156261DD

august 20th: Reich announces that Luck will not be practicing the coming week(this is when  Luck claims to have made the announcement to the team according to the Dec 2022 ESPN article)

August 21st: Luck gives interview to NBC sports Peter King stating that his goal is to still pay week 1. 

August 23rd: Luck again goes through full warmups in front of home fans before preseason game. Later during the game, it is leaked he’s retiring. 

Luck deceived the world, fans etc. that was done deliberately and with full intent. No one wants to address it because video and audio from all the interviews show the serious flaws in how Luck handled the whole situation. His warm ups weren’t to play with his teammates it was done intentionally to keep the news of his pending retirement quiet. 

If that's the case, imagine his thoughts when Schefter announced the retirement during the game :) I think when Reich announced on 20th that Luck will not be practicing the coming week, they (coaches, management, ownership) know Luck is going to retire. If he was really still injured and the rehab would take time longer otherwise, they could've simply put a timeline to it but they didn't. I guess they were all shocked to take any steps forward before he formally said it.

And, if Schefter announced on the game day, these "insider news outbreakers" usually do it hours before it actually happens, so Luck probably was planning to tell the world after that preseason was over, at worst the next day. But, it got out of hand by that time.

I don't think Luck had "full intent" to deceive fans and whoever it may have affected, but he didn't plan well enough to address it in an amicable way and get relieved from the league in a manner that could've brought more understanding to what he had to endure day after day to be the starting QB through all the injuries and its repercussions for his future health. 

I think team should've set up a formal press conference before that last game and let Luck, Ballard and Irsay address it, which would've been a way of having concerned fans in the forefront while announcing the shocking news. Luck just didn't understand the worldview and a proper way to end it all. 

Just now, Superman said:

The Instagram link? There's no interview there.

Just below the instagram link is the interview link, it’s a twitter link. 
 But posting here:

8 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If that's the case, imagine his thoughts when Schefter announced the retirement during the game :) I think when Reich announced on 20th that Luck will not be practicing the coming week, they (coaches, management, ownership) know Luck is going to retire. If he was really still injured and the rehab would take time longer otherwise, they could've simply put a timeline to it but they didn't. I guess they were all shocked to take any steps forward before he formally said it.

And, if Schefter announced on the game day, these "insider news outbreakers" usually do it hours before it actually happens, so Luck probably was planning to tell the world after that preseason was over, at worst the next day. But, it got out of hand by that time.

I don't think Luck had "full intent" to deceive fans and whoever it may have affected, but he didn't plan well enough to address it in an amicable way and get relieved from the league in a manner that could've brought more understanding to what he had to endure day after day to be the starting QB through all the injuries and its repercussions for his future health. 

I think team should've set up a formal press conference before that last game and let Luck, Ballard and Irsay address it, which would've been a way of having concerned fans in the forefront while announcing the shocking news. Luck just didn't understand the worldview and a proper way to end it all. 

So I was just rereading the ESPN article. It quotes Luck as saying he made the decision and told his wife in the 1st week of training camp, which started 29 July 2019 that year.  So the secret was carried for nearly a month, all while giving interviews and going through the motions.  

people gonna try and twist it to ignore it, but the options are only two: either luck decided between the 19th and 23rd of August as he said in his retirement presser or he decided at the start of camp like he claims in the ESPN piece. Which means he’s lying in one of the two cases.  Which is it?

6 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

@csmopar and his repeated interviews about planning to be ready by week 1 seems to have been just his way of prolonging the impending retirement announcement and buying himself more time. Unfortunately, that was not a better way of handling it all.

Or was it possible that he just snapped one day, particularly during the week of August 19th and decided for sure that he was going to hang up the boots? 

That would've put the team and management in time trouble while they were already scrambling with roster cuts and they just couldn't formally address the fans before that last preseason game. 

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Just below the instagram link is the interview link, it’s a twitter link. 
 But posting here:

I still don't see anything. I was having trouble posting a gif yesterday, maybe the site is acting funny?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Link isn't showing up yet. @csmopar

It’s giving me an embedment error, hang on. I may pm it to you and see if you can post it

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I still don't see anything. I was having trouble posting a gif yesterday, maybe the site is acting funny?

Yeah it’s telling me the link is too long and can’t be embedded?

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So I was just rereading the ESPN article. It quotes Luck as saying he made the decision and told his wife in the 1st week of training camp, which started 29 July 2019 that year.  So the secret was carried for nearly a month, all while giving interviews and going through the motions.  

people gonna try and twist it to ignore it, but the options are only two: either luck decided between the 19th and 23rd of August as he said in his retirement presser or he decided at the start of camp like he claims in the ESPN piece. Which means he’s lying in one of the two cases.  Which is it?

Yeah, probably decided at the start of training camp but just botched it from thereon. Badly. 

I could only guess that he still wanted to see if he gets the desire to play just one more season and get through next 4/5 months through it all.

When someone goes through so much internal struggle, especially for those who don't open up to others easily without thinking too much about it, they usually make the situation worse. This happens psychologically to the best of the people, and sometimes they get to the point where they just hope something happens outside of their control to end it all. 

We just got to believe that Luck was going through one of such phases. He possibly couldn't have had any pleasure in deceiving the fans and the world. He could've just felt bad for everyone but didn't formally put his thoughts into words to the world, that would've brought better understanding for all concerned. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That's not what I see in the ESPN article.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35163936/andrew-luck-reveals-why-walked-away-nfl

Something had to give. One day during training camp, Luck confessed to his teammate Castanzo that he was once again asking himself: "Who am I?" This time, Luck's answers were different. He was not just a quarterback. In the offseason he and Nicole had married, and she was pregnant with Lucy. He had responsibilities and promises beyond himself and the Colts. He was coming close to saying out loud what he had disclosed only to Nicole and a few others: that he wasn't sure he wanted to do this anymore. Not could. Wanted. He had proved that he could play at a high level. He had received plenty of praise and criticism, enough to know that neither of those things matters. "It was admirable that he was able to see the bigger picture," Castanzo says. "For him to continue on in his life as a quarterback, he would have essentially expected it to be Andrew's World, and every relationship in his life would cater to Andrew's World, which is not the person he wanted to be."

One day during camp Luck called Nicole, who was on the road with a camera crew.

"I think I'm going to retire," he said.

OK, this is real now, Nicole thought. But she couldn't talk. "We are on air! Got to go!"

Nicole was willing to cater to Andrew, to do whatever it took for him to realize his goals as a quarterback. But he was done. Luck told his family and close friends. Wilson advised him to sleep on it. When they spoke two days later, Luck was resolute. Ballard tried to appeal to Luck's competitive fire, but it was gone. Reich implored him to not rush a big decision, but Luck didn't think it had been rushed. When Wilson met with Ballard to finalize the paperwork, both men cried. Luck savored his final days in pro football. He played catch with Doyle on the field before his next-to-last preseason game, putting his arm around him as they entered the tunnel. That weekend, Luck threw a birthday party for Nicole at a downtown Indianapolis restaurant called Bluebeard. He got chatty and told almost everyone in attendance, hoping they could keep a secret for a few days.

A week later on Saturday night in a preseason game against the Chicago Bears at Lucas Oil Stadium, Luck was on the sideline in street clothes. The secret plan was to announce his retirement the next afternoon. In the fourth quarter, Luck felt the mood in the building shift. The crowd was still lingering. There was a strange fervor. Cameras had turned toward him. Colts media relations executive Matt Conti came over holding his phone, with word that ESPN's Adam Schefter had broken the news.

It said he decided 'one day during camp.' I don't see where it says he decided the first week of camp. In 2019, the Colts were in camp from July 25 to August 15. The retirement game was August 24. 

https://www.colts.com/news/indianapolis-colts-release-2019-training-camp-schedule#:~:text=The Indianapolis Colts today released,20 miles north of Indianapolis.

In his presser, he said he had decided to retire about two weeks before.

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/24738/transcript-of-andrew-lucks-retirement-news-conference

"I didn’t wake up this morning and [decide]. A week and a half to two weeks. It’s been a little bit fast and furious and the lack of progress on my ankle. I’m in pain. I’m still in pain. I’ve been in this cycle. It’s been four years of this injury-pain cycle. For me to move forward in my life the way I want to, it didn’t involve football."

When was his first thought of retirement? "A couple weeks ago."

"This has been my personal journey in football. Everybody’s journey is different. Over the past week, I was thinking, ‘Am I going to have a bunch of resentment toward the game or spite coming into this building?’ And I don’t. All I feel is love for this game and love for my teammates. I know my journey has had some ups and downs and it has taken a toll over the last four years and the mental and emotional toll that that takes as well. I didn’t imagine retiring until two weeks ago."

10 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

@csmopar and his repeated interviews about planning to be ready by week 1 seems to have been just his way of prolonging the impending retirement announcement and buying himself more time. Unfortunately, that was not a better way of handling it all.

Or was it possible that he just snapped one day, particularly during the week of August 19th and decided for sure that he was going to hang up the boots? 

That would've put the team and management in time trouble while they were already scrambling with roster cuts and they just couldn't formally address the fans before that last preseason game. 

Scroll up one post above this one, I ask the same thing. In one part of his ESPN interview he says he decided in the first week of camp, which started July 29th, and that two weeks prior, at a birthday dinner he was telling everyone he had informed the colts of his decision. 

but at the time: he stated he’d decided just days before. 

which do we believe?

if we take out the presser due to the heat of the moment , that means that he knew if his decision somewhere between the 29th of Jul and the 6th of august. Meaning that every interview he gave post 29 July, was not done in full truth. The question to me is just how long he strung the colts along. 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s giving me an embedment error, hang on. I may pm it to you and see if you can post it

I guess it doesn't get through PM as well?

I think there are sites available in Google to create short links to be shared, if you want to go through such trouble. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

This is a CSI like breakdown.

The evidence clearly states that Luck is

season 2 famalam GIF by BBC Three

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, probably decided at the start of training camp but just botched it from thereon. Badly. 

I could only guess that he still wanted to see if he gets the desire to play just one more season and get through next 4/5 months through it all.

When someone goes through so much internal struggle, especially for those who don't open up to others easily without thinking too much about it, they usually make the situation worse. This happens psychologically to the best of the people, and sometimes they get to the point where they just hope something happens outside of their control to end it all. 

We just got to believe that Luck was going through one of such phases. He possibly couldn't have had any pleasure in deceiving the fans and the world. He could've just felt bad for everyone but didn't formally put his thoughts into words to the world, that would've brought better understanding for all concerned. 

I think it’s safe to say we all for the most part can agree he botched this thing badly. And the colts aren’t blameless here either. I mean having Reich say on the 20th of august that Luck was still the plan for week 1 while also saying they needed a decision soon, tells me he might not have been fully forth coming with the team either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

This is a CSI like breakdown.

The evidence clearly states that Luck is

season 2 famalam GIF by BBC Three

Yeah I have to pull the reigns back before my former investigator self rears it’s ugly head haha

11 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I guess it doesn't get through PM as well?

I think there are sites available in Google to create short links to be shared, if you want to go through such trouble. 

Nope it don’t. Gonna have to try the Google url thing. Brb

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You could add some spaces and post it as plain text.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's not what I see in the ESPN article.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35163936/andrew-luck-reveals-why-walked-away-nfl

It said he decided 'one day during camp.' I don't see where it says he decided the first week of camp. In 2019, the Colts were in camp from July 25 to August 15. The retirement game was August 24. 

https://www.colts.com/news/indianapolis-colts-release-2019-training-camp-schedule#:~:text=The Indianapolis Colts today released,20 miles north of Indianapolis.

In his presser, he said he had decided to retire about two weeks before.

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/24738/transcript-of-andrew-lucks-retirement-news-conference

Okay I must have Mis read it then. 

however, let’s go with his “two weeks”. 23rd of august minus 14 days, is the 9th of August, which just misses the first week of camp, which would have been the 6th. So again? Let’s say for sake of this discussion, that he made it official on the 9th. That’s still MULTIPLE interviews, public work outs etc between the 9th of August and the 23rd when it got leaked. And giving that video shows him warming up the 19th at the Browns as well of the 23rd against the bears, just shows how badly it was botched. 

the facts are there that proves he wasn’t being honest the entire month of august at a minimum and was actively misleading the public. 

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

however, let’s go with his “two weeks”. 23rd of august minus 14 days, is the 9th of August, which just misses the first week of camp, which would have been the 6th. So again? Let’s say for sake of this discussion, that he made it official on the 9th. That’s still MULTIPLE interviews, public work outs etc between the 9th of August and the 23rd when it got leaked. And giving that video shows him warming up the 19th at the Browns as well of the 23rd against the bears, just shows how badly it was botched. 

the facts are there that proves he wasn’t being honest the entire month of august at a minimum and was actively misleading the public. 

What benefit would he receive to purposely mislead the public?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Luck was stringing it out hustling ticket sales, making a buck for Irsay as long as he could, knowing he would soon be going home with a check for $25+M to look at while sitting in his rocking chair.

Ticket sales, at least season tickets, were renewed and paid for by July. So that doesn’t align at all. 

single game tickets went on sale 27 July 2019 so the only thing it would have potentially affected was single game tickets which account for roughly 35 percent of a game day attendance 

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What benefit would he receive to purposely mislead the public?

I don’t think he was doing it  for a tangible benefit. What I think is he had in his mind a date and time at which he wanted to announce it. We know he was rather private but he states that he was still working on his retirement speech, to give a press conference. I think his intent was delay as long as possible mainly did that reason. 

now it could be looked at that he was trying to delay it until the Tuesday after the last preseason game. Roster bonuses and salaries are generally tied to the start of week 1 for such guarantees. I don’t know what Lucks contract language spelled out but if it did, and he was worried about that 25 mil, then that could potentially explain the games as well

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

This link takes to the home page of tiny URL website.

You gotta give your long link, get them to provide you a shorter link that you could share 

Angry Rex GIF

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No question Luck and the Colts mishandled the situation. I don't think anyone says differently. And even if he says he finally decided to retire a couple weeks before, he was definitely thinking about it for some time before that. My opinion is that he was in denial, but knew he couldn't keep putting off the inevitable. 

Even if you read his statements early in camp, you can sense his tone changing. August 1, he says he "absolutely" believes he'll be ready for Week 1. August 5, he softens a little and says "I certainly believe I will, that's a goal." I haven't found any public statements from him after August 5.

The retirement was August 24. Two weeks before was August 10, if we want to be exact. Camp started July 25. That's sixteen days, so actually would have been in the third week of camp, again if we're going to take his 'two weeks' estimate super literal. If you want to take everything he said and did after that and hold it against him, I guess that's fine? But it seems like the point is to prove that he intentionally lied and misled the public, and I don't think anything that's come out proves that's what happened.

He absolutely messed up, he should have been more forthcoming, warming up pre-game wasn't a good idea, etc. But did he intentionally mislead the public? I don't think what you've presented is proof of that.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Say what ?

How would you know that ? Luck is simply not wired to lie and deceive ? Do you personally know Luck ?

For someone who often chastises other posters about making unfounded comments, this seems very close to that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I guess that long link broke that website too :D I think i've reached my closing argument :applause:

I have made my judgement and Luck is guilty

I See You Omg GIF by ABC Network