Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kevin Stefanski Coach of the Year

ArmchairQB

21 hours ago, chad72 said:

He’s the one I wanted to win.

Dan Campbell would have been a close second. If Steichen had won the division, they might have given it to him, possibly.

Ryans should have gotten consideration. The Texans were one of the worst teams in 2022 and he won the division with a rookie QB in the 2023 season.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Ryans should have gotten consideration. The Texans were one of the worst teams last year and he won the division with a rookie QB.

Stroud being a Pro Bowl QB hurt him, while Stefanski did it with multiple back ups and Steichen with 1. 

Just now, chad72 said:

Stroud being a Pro Bowl QB hurt him, while Stefanski did it with multiple back ups and Steichen with 1. 

QB is not the only position on a team. Stroud was a rookie QB. Rookie QBs have less experience than most backups. The Browns had a veteran team. Ryans won the division with a very young team. Oh well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Ryans should have gotten consideration. The Texans were one of the worst teams last year and he won the division with a rookie QB.

I’m not so sure although certainly you’re not the only person thinking this.  

Texans won because of Stroud and just about Stroud alone.  They were a terrible road team all year with losses to the Jets and Panthers both on the road.  In the 2 games without Stroud they had a literal last second come back against Tennessee and got blown out at home by Stefanski and the Browns.  

Not throwing shade but I need to see more out of a coach than I saw out of Ryan’s this year before I would give him this consideration.  Steichen in my (admittedly biased) opinion had a bit tougher circumstance and got the team to compete.  

17 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

Steichen in my (admittedly biased) opinion had a bit tougher circumstance and got the team to compete.  

What makes you say that? Serious question. The Colts had a more veteran team.

17 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

Not throwing shade but I need to see more out of a coach than I saw out of Ryan’s this year before I would give him this consideration.

What more did you have to see? He won the division with rookies as their best players. Rookies don't have the experience that veterans do. Don't you think that a coach should get credit for getting their rookies to play as well as they did? Not just Stroud and Anderson. Tank Dell was playing great before he went down.

Anyway, it is too bad that Ryans did not get recognized.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What makes you say that? Serious question. The Colts had a more veteran team.

What more did you have to see? He won the division with rookies as their best players. Rookies don't have the experience that veterans do. Don't you think that a coach should get credit for getting their rookies to play as well as they did? Not just Stroud and Anderson. Tank Dell was playing great before he went down.

Anyway, it is too bad that Ryans did not get recognized.

Colts were the 4th youngest team in the league this year at 25.4 years average

Texans were 30th at 26.7 years

They backed into the division title.  With one game to go Steichen had the Colts in the same position without our starting QB.  It’s not like they dominated the division.  Jax collapsed and it took them a very tough game against the Colts to get it. 

They obviously had a good draft,  but when you’re looking at coaching it’s different.  The fact that they were inconsistent between playing on the road versus at home is coaching to me.  Colts were more consistent there.  Also, even though Stroud was a rookie he obviously wasn’t just any rookie.  While every team misses a step when their starter goes down Houston was completely different without Stroud for 2 games.  Again that’s coaching.  

admittedly this is a bit of a subjective thing and you’re not alone in your evaluation.  I’m just giving you my take and also what I think the voters were looking at.  

2 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

They backed into the division title.  With one game to go Steichen had the Colts in the same position without our starting QB.  I

Backing in is losing and hoping other teams lose in order to get into the playoffs. The Texans won their last game to get a playoff berth. That is not backing in.

You mentioned that the Texans were "blown out at home by Stefanski". The Texans blew out the Browns in the playoffs by a bigger margin. I know that the Coach of the Year Award is a regular season award, but to say Ryans needs to show more to be considered is mind-boggling. Rookie coach wins his first playoff game in blowout fashion with a rookie at QB. I'm not sure how much more a rookie coach has to show.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Backing in is losing and hoping other teams lose in order to get into the playoffs. The Texans won their last game to get a playoff berth. That is not backing in.

You mentioned that the Texans were "blown out at home by Stefanski". The Texans blew out the Browns in the playoffs by a bigger margin. I know that the Coach of the Year Award is a regular season award, but to say Ryans needs to show more to be considered is mind-boggling. Rookie coach wins his first playoff game in blowout fashion with a rookie at QB. I'm not sure how much more a rookie coach has to show.

With his starting QB.  You make my case for me.  Completely different team with Stroud at QB.  Meanwhile Stefanski cobbled together a winning season and playoff birth without stability at the position.  I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.  

in fact,  you’re a Vikings fan,  had Kevin O’Connell managed to keep the team in playoff contention through the loss of Cousins you mean to say that wouldn’t have been more impressive?  I find that hard to believe