Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I may be in a minority here, but I think we have tried the Ehlinger experiment , and he is clearly not a long term option as QB3

In my book, we should always be developing a young QB, (More than AR) 

I would like us to move forward with QB1 and QB2, for this year, but 

In the last two rounds, I would pick up an underdeveloped QB that has potential.

I would let that person be QB3, this year.

In 2025, they may be good enough to be QB2

I would let Sam E. walk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Yeah I think Minshew will sign with another team and Ehlinger stinks. IMO we should def look into drafting someone to groom behind AR.

If Minshew leaves and you think Ehlinger stinks, then the Colts are looking for a new QB2 AND QB3.   

The QB2 will be a veteran, like Minshew.   A rookie drafted in the mid to late rounds is not ready to play in the NFL his first year.  The candidate for QB3 can be a late round guy like Sam was.   That player will sit and learn his rookie year. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Minshew leaves and you think Ehlinger stinks, then the Colts are looking for a new QB2 AND QB3.   

The QB2 will be a veteran, like Minshew.   A rookie drafted in the mid to late rounds is not ready to play in the NFL his first year.  The candidate for QB3 can be a late round guy like Sam was.   That player will sit and learn his rookie year. 

Aiden O'Connell, Dorian Thompson Robinson, and Tommy Devito say hi from this year, and a guy you may recognize from last year named Brock Purdy says hi from 2022. You may know them, and they are all 4th round picks or later that started at some point their rookie year. 

Minshew stays, no club is going to make him the starter, he isnt a starter in this league. He is a solid backup so makes sense stays with SS and the club to mentor AR and steps in due to injury, I'm not against a later round QB pick to push Sam for the 3. Jordan Travis of FSU comes to mind, Emory Jones from Cinn would be very interesting and him an AR are tight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

Aiden O'Connell, Dorian Thompson Robinson, and Tommy Devito say hi from this year, and a guy you may recognize from last year named Brock Purdy says hi from 2022. You may know them, and they are all 4th round picks or later that started at some point their rookie year. 

You don’t want me to just all the Day 3 QBs that didnt become much.   That list would dwarf the list you made.  

Your list are the exceptions to the rule.  My list would be the actual rule. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t want me to just all the Day 3 QBs that didnt become much.   That list would dwarf the list you made.  

Your list are the exceptions to the rule.  My list would be the actual rule. 

As would be the case with any position. Bottom line is this is a year where the starting QBs got injured more than any in recent memory. Over 20 starting QBs were out at some point during the year and day 3 QBs came in and did well as well as UDFA QBs. 

6 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

As would be the case with any position. Bottom line is this is a year where the starting QBs got injured more than any in recent memory. Over 20 starting QBs were out at some point during the year and day 3 QBs came in and did well as well as UDFA QBs. 

Im not denying that.  

But if a team is looking for a QB2 who may have to play a few games to help keep playoff chances alive, I think it’s obvious that a veteran is — on balance — a safer way to go.    I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial.   

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im not denying that.  

But if a team is looking for a QB2 who may have to play a few games to help keep playoff chances alive, I think it’s obvious that a veteran is — on balance — a safer way to go.    I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial.   

I agree with you 100%. I'm only going to say that it may be more of a myth than anything that day 3 rookie QBs can't play right away and always need time to learn. Generally, they are rarely to never drafted to be the starter and always sit behind the starter unless there's an injury. This year may give some credence that later round QBs can start immediately and do a better job than once thought.