Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CJ Stroud

King Colt

On 1/18/2024 at 2:17 PM, Superman said:

But that's a good thing, IMO. I don't want to be in a cupcake division, I want our team to have a significant measuring stick opponent every year, and twice a year is even better. I want us to be striving to keep up with a team with a hotshot young QB. The more, the better. It raises the bar for our own team.

iron sharpens iron. 

On 1/14/2024 at 8:13 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The people that didn't want AR would say the same thing. Let's see him beat a real team. Trevor and Stroud both are good, but people need to quit the AR hate is my point.

i havent seen any ar hate on here

On 1/16/2024 at 9:25 AM, Superman said:

He had good production, and his talent was obvious. But from the ground up, he was awkward and fundamentally flawed as a passer. He got better in some areas, but he still has some of the same issues with fundamentals.

CJ Stroud is much more fundamentally sound, more disciplined, better from the pocket, he's a quicker decision maker, I think he's more accurate to all levels of the field, and his arm is almost as good. He's not as athletic and fast, and he probably can't make crazy throws 50 yards downfield while he's scrambling the way Watson could, but we just saw him make a pretty good throw on the run against us.

I'd agree that Stroud is a better passer, all things considered. He's already displaying a mastery of some of the things that Watson never improved on.

You might be the biggest supporter of Stroud in our community.   And, to your credit, you were on his bandwagon before the draft. 

So I have questions for you….   Why were you so high on Stroud when other Ohio State QBs struggled so much when they reached the NFL.  Fields?   Haskins?   The view has always been that Ohio State only asks their QB to read half the field on each play, and when they get to the NFL they struggle badly to read the entire field.  So you knew that yet it didn’t stop you from believing Stroud would be the exception.  So I’m curious as to why and how you came to believe in Stroud more than anyone else? 

Thanks in advance. 

15 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i havent seen any ar hate on here

I don't think I am going senile but when I see posts like = AR is too injury prone to make it in the league, he isn't a good passer, we should have taken Levis, and a poster even called AR 'Glass' Richardson, I am not sure how you don't consider that hate. These types of posts have come from at least different 10 posters. I can only go by what I read my friend and to me that is some hate. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sb41champs said:

I'm considering drafting both CJ Stroud - AND - Jordan Love in next seasons fantasy football draft!!

OR - Jordan Love - AND - Anthony Richardson!!

AR 100% for the extra rushing yards but wait till Rounds 5 or 6. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

AR 100% for the extra rushing yards but wait till Rounds 5 or 6. 

I got Lamar in round 3 this year. Mahomes, Allen, Hurts were gone by end of round 2. All of my draft picks were hits besides Josh Jacobs (pick 13). I should have just drafted AJ Brown at pick 12 and Ceedee at pick 13

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You might be the biggest supporter of Stroud in our community.   And, to your credit, you were on his bandwagon before the draft. 

So I have questions for you….   Why were you so high on Stroud when other Ohio State QBs struggled so much when they reached the NFL.  Fields?   Haskins?   The view has always been that Ohio State only asks their QB to read half the field on each play, and when they get to the NFL they struggle badly to read the entire field.  So you knew that yet it didn’t stop you from believing Stroud would be the exception.  So I’m curious as to why and how you came to believe in Stroud more than anyone else? 

Thanks in advance. 

I knew Stroud would be good because he had elite accuracy and his arm talent was the best in the class. Plus the Georgia game down his best weapon he destroyed that defense but his kicker lost that game

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, runthepost said:

I knew Stroud would be good because he had elite accuracy and his arm talent was the best in the class. Plus the Georgia game down his best weapon he destroyed that defense but his kicker lost that game

Fields had elite accuracy.   So did Haskins before him.   It’s easier when you’re only reading half the field which is what Ohio State QBs are trained to do. 

Stroud had the best season out of the rookie QB's and deserves ROY IMO. Having said that, he could very easily have an average season next year. Whether it be knick knack injuries, or the team isn't playing as good. It has happened a lot to QBs coming off a good season. Most people in here were saying after last season that Trevor Lawrence was great, and the Jags would dominate the division for years. Look what happened there. I am one that never gets caught up in the moment and I am never sold on a player unless I see a player have 3 or even 4 good to great seasons. I am sold on guys like Mahomes, Lamar, even Allen and Burrow, Burrow has beaten Mahomes in a Title Game at KC and Allen has been consistently good for at least 4 years now. Lets let next season play out before we crown Stroud King of the Universe chuckling homer simpson GIF. I would not be shocked at all if Lawrence and AR both played better than Stroud next season. Not saying it will happen but it would not shock me.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks in advance. 

I've never subscribed to the 'all QBs from this school will struggle' line of thinking. Scout the player, not the school. The Ohio State thing wasn't a big hurdle for me to get over.

Stuff like that might matter at times, but it's situational. For example, Tennessee runs such an extremely modified offensive scheme that you have to acknowledge how simple they make it for the QB to produce, and then you have to look for examples of the traits and abilities that will be used in the NFL. So I might have discounted Hendon Hooker coming out, but that's because I didn't see enough NFL traits.

In Stroud's case, I saw more NFL traits from him -- specifically as a passer -- than from any other QB in the draft class. I don't want to compare him to Fields and Haskins directly, but I believe that some of the passing game restrictions that were in place with those players were pretty much done away with when Stroud was the QB. He was not only a half field read passer, at times he scanned the entire field and went through full progressions. Not every drop back, no one does, but often enough that it was obvious he could do it. And when his primary reads were covered, he could find the check down in rhythm. He did not rely on his legs to make plays, which was one of the major questions about his projection, but a big part of why is because he was always able command the pocket and make a play with his arm. 

He had a bit of a boost from playing with such a talented receiving corps, and he had a good OL as well. That all made things a little easier for him from the pocket. Sometimes he'd be slow to come off his first read, but part of that was probably him relying on his receivers dynamic ability to create separation. 

The other traits like accuracy and mechanics really separated him from other QB prospects as well, and set him apart from the previous Ohio State guys. He was more technically proficient than anyone else, IMO, and it wasn't particularly close. And he has a really good arm, it doesn't blow anyone away, but he can make all the throws you need him to make.

My big questions where about what he would do if he wasn't surrounded by elite talent at WR, whether he could speed up his processing in the pocket, and whether he had enough quickness/athleticism to avoid pressure in the NFL. Those are the reasons I wasn't advocating moving up to draft him. But everything else was pretty obviously already there. He had fewer question marks than anyone else, he was really good in the areas that I cared about most, and IMO he has no disqualifying factors.

I'm not crowning him just yet, but I'm not surprised by his success, and I expect him to continue getting better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I've never subscribed to the 'all QBs from this school will struggle' line of thinking. Scout the player, not the school. The Ohio State thing wasn't a big hurdle for me to get over.

Stuff like that might matter at times, but it's situational. For example, Tennessee runs such an extremely modified offensive scheme that you have to acknowledge how simple they make it for the QB to produce, and then you have to look for examples of the traits and abilities that will be used in the NFL. So I might have discounted Hendon Hooker coming out, but that's because I didn't see enough NFL traits.

In Stroud's case, I saw more NFL traits from him -- specifically as a passer -- than from any other QB in the draft class. I don't want to compare him to Fields and Haskins directly, but I believe that some of the passing game restrictions that were in place with those players were pretty much done away with when Stroud was the QB. He was not only a half field read passer, at times he scanned the entire field and went through full progressions. Not every drop back, no one does, but often enough that it was obvious he could do it. And when his primary reads were covered, he could find the check down in rhythm. He did not rely on his legs to make plays, which was one of the major questions about his projection, but a big part of why is because he was always able command the pocket and make a play with his arm. 

He had a bit of a boost from playing with such a talented receiving corps, and he had a good OL as well. That all made things a little easier for him from the pocket. Sometimes he'd be slow to come off his first read, but part of that was probably him relying on his receivers dynamic ability to create separation. 

The other traits like accuracy and mechanics really separated him from other QB prospects as well, and set him apart from the previous Ohio State guys. He was more technically proficient than anyone else, IMO, and it wasn't particularly close. And he has a really good arm, it doesn't blow anyone away, but he can make all the throws you need him to make.

My big questions where about what he would do if he wasn't surrounded by elite talent at WR, whether he could speed up his processing in the pocket, and whether he had enough quickness/athleticism to avoid pressure in the NFL. Those are the reasons I wasn't advocating moving up to draft him. But everything else was pretty obviously already there. He had fewer question marks than anyone else, he was really good in the areas that I cared about most, and IMO he has no disqualifying factors.

I'm not crowning him just yet, but I'm not surprised by his success, and I expect him to continue getting better.

Good analysis.   This was exactly what I was looking for from you.  It’s why I asked. 

Thanks for the very good 411.   

• Like 1