Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

third and long

13 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

seems like we have a lot of trouble giving up first downs on third and long, and we cant seem to bring pressure on third and long. anyone have ideas on how to fix that with our present roster?

Maybe allow our young corners to gain experience? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

seems like we have a lot of trouble giving up first downs on third and long, and we cant seem to bring pressure on third and long. anyone have ideas on how to fix that with our present roster?

Practice wrapping up a tackle for starters. A lot of conversions have come off screens. Our guys are simply getting beat by blocking WRs. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Practice wrapping up a tackle for starters. A lot of conversions have come off screens. Our guys are simply getting beat by blocking WRs. 

I totally agree. It seems like a few games ago the scouting book on colts defense came out and teams are throwing alot of screens on 3rd and long and we seem to have a very very very hard time stopping it.  We just don’t have an answer. Nothing is worse than seeing our little “fast” guys getting mauled and Bouncing off the other teams offensive linemen lol.  I dunno why tackling is so bad, I mean you have been doing this since you were 8yr old and you are in the nfl. They should basically be like robots and automatic out there for as much time and effort, not to mention the money they get paid.  Oh and On the flip slide if we run it we might get two to three yards max lol. Really frustrating but hey over all it’s been a good season.  

• Like 2

Ever heard the saying, "The only thing prevent defense does is prevent you from winning"? I get they are trying to give large cushions so we don't give up any big plays over the top, but the chances of a offense getting to the end zone in 4 plays is significantly less then if we give them 15 plays to try and stop them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

Back 7 are not holding their zones. So, it's inexperience and coaching.

So there's very little they can do it improve....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I totally agree. It seems like a few games ago the scouting book on colts defense came out and teams are throwing alot of screens on 3rd and long and we seem to have a very very very hard time stopping it.  We just don’t have an answer. Nothing is worse than seeing our little “fast” guys getting mauled and Bouncing off the other teams offensive linemen lol.  I dunno why tackling is so bad, I mean you have been doing this since you were 8yr old and you are in the nfl. They should basically be like robots and automatic out there for as much time and effort, not to mention the money they get paid.  Oh and On the flip slide if we run it we might get two to three yards max lol. Really frustrating but hey over all it’s been a good season.  

I get how this logic works in theory. However you have to consider the other team is full of players that have also been playing since they were 8. Nothing is like a robot or automatic when you are going against professionals. The Colts do need to adjust and defend the screen better but it really is a tough play that is designed to put a playmaker out in space with OL on smaller defenders set up to defend the sticks. 

INEXPERIENCE is the big problem.  Our players are talented but they are learning on the fly.  Zone is harder to learn than man.  Man is what it is.  Stay with your man.  Zone is more complicated.  Even during Sundays game I read where a defensive back was talking to Moore looking for help in coverage.  Even with that I would think rookies tend to play softer just because they don’t want to give up the home run.  There is no substitute for experience.  You get better by playing.

• Like 1