Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Michaels taken off of playoff games

LJpalmbeacher2

NBC has taken legendary play by play announcer Al Michaels off of playoff broadcasts. 

And the most popular reason by most is because of some remarks he said regarding Taylor Swift. Some say it was her that wanted and forced NBC executives to remove him.

I guess he was nearing retirement anyway but its a shame if swiftly was the reason he's been removed. 

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

I had heard he had been removed - I hadn't heard anything about the reasons.

NBC is stupid for doing this - for any reason - as he is a very very popular NFL announcer.

Maybe a miracle will happen and he gets his job back........"Do you believe in Miracles"? Haha 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 7:18 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

NBC has taken legendary play by play announcer Al Michaels off of playoff broadcasts. 

And the most popular reason by most is because of some remarks he said regarding Taylor Swift. Some say it was her that wanted and forced NBC executives to remove him.

I guess he was nearing retirement anyway but its a shame if swiftly was the reason he's been removed. 

I haven’t seen any story that it’s because of comments about Taylor. 

Instead, what I’ve read is that Michaels has (in the eyes/ears of his bosses) has been doing a poor job.   That he takes good games and calls them way too subdued, as if he’s bored or the game is beneath him.   Like he’s going thru the motions.   

Its a shame if this is how his career ends….  

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 3:57 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I haven’t seen any story that it’s because of comments about Taylor. 

Instead, what I’ve read is that Michaels has (in the eyes/ears of his bosses) has been doing a poor job.   That he takes good games and calls them way too subdued, as if he’s bored or the game is beneath him.   Like he’s going thru the motions.   

Its a shame if this is how his career ends….  

If your looking for it on network tv I doubt they report that so not to paint swift in a negative/vengeful light. 

But it.was all over on internet and was told by it from friends and couple family members. 

Really bad decision if this is the reason. Has to be another reason, this interview was in October.

“As noted by Barstool Sports, some viewers claim NBC wasn’t pleased with Michaels when he referred to Swift as a “sideshow” in an October interview with Sports Illustrated, while discussing how much camera time Prime Video would give the singer during the Chiefs-Broncos game on Oct. 12.

“What we’re gonna do tonight, everything in moderation,” Michaels told SI’s Jimmy Traina. “Our crew talked about it this morning. You can’t make a sideshow the show. ‘

“The vast majority of the audience are tuning in to watch a football game. There are people, I don’t know how many, it could be a sizable number, but it’s certainly not a majority, that if you trained the camera on her all night long, they’d be satisfied with that. This is not what we’re doing to do.”