Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coach Steichen

Colt.45

Vote on the Colts HC  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on Shane Steichen so far? I think he's got everything it takes to bring at least a SB to Indy.

• Wizard - Will win us a SB(s)
    • Very good - Will give us great chances at always contending
    • Good - Not an elite coach. Good enough
    • Fine - Maybe better than Reich, may be worse
    • Not convinced - the warts are there. Reich pt 2
    • Bad - He's riding his newness, he's a bad coach

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/06/2023 at 06:00 AM

Im not sold on him yet, so wont make any quick judgments on him as a HC.

Both Pagano and Reich started out okay, but then they got stuck and progres was no where to be seen.

Steichen is a fresh breath of air, as Reich was downright awful the last two seasons.

How good steichen will be depends on who´s behind center as our QB and how much help Ballard gives him.

But a super bowl win... nah... im not sold in any way that he can lead us to a super bowl win with this roster, but maybe in the future if the roster is improved and AR develops and stay healthy.

So maybe we are a contender in 5-6 years but not in the next 3-4 years imo.

18 hours ago, Nickster said:

The revisionist history/Reich villification on here is striking.  

When Frank Reich had someone other than Jacoby Brisett, Matt Ryan, and Sam Ehlinger at QB, his teams put up 27.1 ppg in 2018, 28.2 in 2020, and 26.5 in 2021.

Shane Steichan's team has put up 25.4 ppg so far this season.

Can someone please explain to me how putting up 25.4 ppg is so much better than putting up more points in the other seasons like Reich did?  

I don't understand that equation.  I'm not a math major though. 

Frank has 0 wins for a Carolina team that some experts thought would contend for the division title. Do you understand that math....0

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Lol...please enlighten me when you get time. In the meantime look up 0 as well. Look up hotseat too while you’re at it.

How did Frank do here ?  He had a better record than Ss at this point last year by a half game before he was made the start Sam.  look it up lol.

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Frank wanted Wentz and then Ryan. How'd that work out?

albert einstein GIF by US National Archives

Apparently he did not want Young.

Wentz?  It worked out pretty good.  One overthrown ball from the playoffs the 9th best QBR in FB.

Ryan?  Well before they lopped Frank's manhood off and forced him to start slingin Sammy, he was a half game better than we are now with Ryan.  So Ok I guess.

Apparently SS wanted AR.  How is that working out?

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

If he can learn from his mistakes (and survive them), Shane may get better. If he can learn from the mistakes of others, better yet.

He might be great, who knows?  

But his tenure with the Colts pretty much comes down to AR and how good he becomes. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 8:27 PM, Nickster said:

The revisionist history/Reich villification on here is striking.  

When Frank Reich had someone other than Jacoby Brisett, Matt Ryan, and Sam Ehlinger at QB, his teams put up 27.1 ppg in 2018, 28.2 in 2020, and 26.5 in 2021.

Can someone please explain to me how putting up 25.4 ppg is so much better than putting up more points in the other seasons like Reich did?  

I don't understand that equation.  I'm not a math major though. 

Because he's doing that with the equivalent of a Jacoby Brissett, (old) Matt Ryan and Sam Ehlinger at QB. 

21 hours ago, Nickster said:

Just to clarify,  I’m not out on AR.  It didn’t read they way I meant it.  What I mean is I haven’t seen anything that makes me believe he’s like our for sure thing guy.  There are plenty of things that make it look like he could develop, but plenty of others that don’t IMO.

I don’t judge college talent but Williams is pretty highly regarded.  If we were in a position to draft him I think I would go with him and trade AR who would bring I think multiple picks.  He is just a very in accurate thrower of the FB.  Williams has a lot of polish and looks like a great prospect.  

But you could keep both.  I’m not convinced that the rushing of QBs getting right in is always the best method.  You could keep both, see what you thought in practice and wait a year before deciding what to do.  I think we’d make out like bandits in that scenario.

Sign Language Asl GIF by Sign with Robert

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

Because he's doing that with the equivalent of a Jacoby Brissett, (old) Matt Ryan and Sam Ehlinger at QB. 

I don't know about that.  I think Gardener Minshew is a bottom tier starter.  He's limited, but I think he's in the top 32.  Old Matt Ryan, JB, and Slingin Sammy aren't IMO. 

FR won 7 games with JB too.  ie. one game away from 500. To me that's close to coach of the year material really.   And some deluded souls were thinking about JB as an MVP candidate during the 1st half of the season.   Let's see how SS finishes.  The Colts start producing offensively closer to Sunday's point total like I've said many times, I'll adjust quickly.  

I am not saying that SS isn't going to be a better coach, I just think poeple are agenda driven with Frank.

He did a pretty good job here under some very difficult circumstances. 

I don't think it's necessary to be bipolar on this issue either.  FR can have done a decent job AND SS can be the future at the same time.   Plus, Frank can have been decent AND also needed to be dispatched IMO. 

Lots of folks here spurn nuance lol and devolve into the either/or fallacy.

If you think JB is way better than GM, then we just disagree.  I'd say they are comparable.  I'd prefer GMs quicker release and OK wheels over Jacoby no risket no bisket Brisset's size and arm cannon. 

and Frank was 3-3-1 with a win over KC with OLD MATT.   Better than SS so far by a half game. 

23 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't know about that.  I think Gardener Minshew is a bottom tier starter.  He's limited, but I think he's in the top 32.  Old Matt Ryan, JB, and Slingin Sammy aren't IMO. 

FR won 7 games with JB too.  ie. one game away from 500. To me that's close to coach of the year material really.   And some deluded souls were thinking about JB as an MVP candidate during the 1st half of the season.   Let's see how SS finishes.  The Colts start producing offensively closer to Sunday's point total like I've said many times, I'll adjust quickly.  

I am not saying that SS isn't going to be a better coach, I just think poeple are agenda driven with Frank.

He did a pretty good job here under some very difficult circumstances. 

I don't think it's necessary to be bipolar on this issue either.  FR can have done a decent job AND SS can be the future at the same time.   Plus, Frank can have been decent AND also needed to be dispatched IMO. 

Lots of folks here spurn nuance lol and devolve into the either/or fallacy.

If you think JB is way better than GM, then we just disagree.  I'd say they are comparable.  I'd prefer GMs quicker release and OK wheels over Jacoby no risket no bisket Brisset's size and arm cannon. 

and Frank was 3-3-1 with a win over KC with OLD MATT.   Better than SS so far by a half game. 

I don't think Frank was a bad coach... he had his strong points, but I don't think he was a great coach either. Ultimately IMO you saw the ceiling with him and I thought he deserved to be fired... and was happy he was fired(not as a person of course, but rather as the coach of the team I'm rooting for). 

I think at the highest level you need better. And (as I said above) we still don't know for sure Steichen will be good enough when we get to the high importance games and moments, but at this point I feel like he has a chance to be good enough. I'm good with letting it play out and seeing how it all develops. :dunno:

And yeah... I do think Minshew is comparable to Brissett(actually Brissett might be better) or old Matt Ryan... 

I don't think Frank was a bad coach... he had his strong points, but I don't think he was a great coach either. Ultimately IMO you saw the ceiling with him and I thought he deserved to be fired... and was happy he was fired(not as a person of course, but rather as the coach of the team I'm rooting for). 

Aree with this strongly.  I've said similar many times in many different threads.

I think at the highest level you need better. And (as I said above) we still don't know for sure Steichen will be good enough when we get to the high importance games and moments, but at this point I feel like he has a chance to be good enough. I'm good with letting it play out and seeing how it all develops. :dunno:

Sure we let it play out.  We can't do anything else unless stiches is Jimmy IRsay.  I know I'm not lol. 

And yeah... I do think Minshew is comparable to Brissett(actually Brissett might be better) or old Matt Ryan... 

Brisset would probably not be a good option in SS offense.  He's very slow.  Although he's big and can shed tacklers.  But he is also very slow with the release and decision making.  SS offense seems to be into quick decisions and quickly released balls.   I think GM is likely better fit than JB and Matt Ryan was a slow TTT, downfield passer most of his career. 

On 10/24/2023 at 5:19 PM, Nickster said:

I think using Reichs ppg this year is not a good comparison because it’s totally different and the QB looks like he’s in over his head right now.

.but you thought it was a good comparison to make comparing Reich's points per game only when he had either Luck or Rivers to Steichen with a rookie AR and Minshew?  gtho lol

On 10/24/2023 at 1:27 PM, Nickster said:

No, no one needs to explain anything to you.  You're comparing Reich's offense with either Luck, Rivers or Wentz at QB to Shane's offenses this year with a rookie AR and Minshew.  That might and probably is the most absurd thing you've posted on here.  

do you think Reich as coach with Minshew at QB would have put up 38 points on the Browns?

34 minutes ago, J@son said:

.but you thought it was a good comparison to make comparing Reich's points per game only when he had either Luck or Rivers to Steichen with a rookie AR and Minshew?  gtho lol

No, no one needs to explain anything to you.  You're comparing Reich's offense with either Luck, Rivers or Wentz at QB to Shane's offenses this year with a rookie AR and Minshew.  That might and probably is the most absurd thing you've posted on here.  

do you think Reich as coach with Minshew at QB would have put up 38 points on the Browns?

You think that this roster is vastly different than it was with Wentz or last season with Ryan?  I do not.

The point of the ppg with Luck and Rivers which is certainly farther away from this team no doubt is simply to point out that Reich did a good job here.   That his offenses were good here and that I am not sold on SS being clearly better for us than Reich was for us. 

You don't comprehend my point?  Can't help you with your lack of reasoning skills. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You think that this roster is vastly different than it was with Wentz or last season with Ryan?  I do not.

Who cares if the roster is vastly different or not.  The difference in QB play/ability from Luck/Wentz/Rivers is night and day compared to AR/Minshew.  If you can't comprehend that, then I can't help you with your football knowledge, or lack thereof.

So all you did was point out that Luck/Rivers/Wentz were better than AR/Minshew are right now.  Which....duh lol

1 minute ago, J@son said:

Who cares if the roster is vastly different or not.  The difference in QB play/ability from Luck/Wentz/Rivers is night and day compared to AR/Minshew.  If you can't comprehend that, then I can't help you with your football knowledge, or lack thereof.

So all you did was point out that Luck/Rivers/Wentz were better than AR/Minshew are right now.  Which....duh lol

Incorrect.  I pointed out that Reich did a pretty good job here. 

Thanks for playing.  Good afternoon, good evening, and Good night.

Completly uninterested in bombastic, half wit, personal responses like yours. 

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Incorrect.  I pointed out that Reich did a pretty good job here. 

Thanks for playing.  Good afternoon, good evening, and Good night.

Yes, as long as he had a high level talent at QB.  You your self said 

Most coaches look better than they really are when they have a high level talent at QB.

then you should avoid talking into the mirror.

Just now, J@son said:

Yes, as long as he had a high level talent at QB.  You your self said 

Most coaches look better than they really are when they have a high level talent at QB.

then you should avoid talking into the mirror.

If you seriously want to discuss this topic. Look at some of my other responses in this thread.  Reich won 7 games with Jacoby and and had his name in the MVP discussion lol.  

You don't want to understand the point.

I've said over and over that if SS starts putting up 30+ a game then it will be clear.  But this game so far is anamolous.  Plus I watched the game.  The Browns for whatever reason had several blown coverages, especially on Josh Downs.  He made a couple of nice plays, but most of his yardage came from 2 blown coverages, on the TD and about another 35 yarder that he did nothing special on.  The Browns left his zone uncovered.  The Pittman TD was a nice play by MBJ, but they shouldn't have let him loose for 75 yards.  They had several guys in the area.

Now it's possible that the Brown's blown coverage was because of SS outscheming them.  IDK.  

If he keeps causing defenses to break down, then it will become obvious.  

Minshew played really really well.  That longer TD run of his was pretty surprising. 

We averaged 23 points before the outburst on Sunday.  That's not bad, but it's nothing special.  Frank averaged that with JB and Hoyerable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You don't want to understand the point.

well I guess we're even then.  

If you seriously want to discuss this topic. Look at some of my other responses in this thread.  Reich won 7 games with Jacoby and and had his name in the MVP discussion lol.  

Actually I don't really want to discuss this topic, and I don't need to read your other responses...I've already seen them and took no issue really with anything else you posted.  I simply wanted to point out that your comparison was absurd.  You cherry picked the years of Reich that you wanted to use for comparison by excluding Sam, Matt and Jacoby which left only Luck, Wentz and Rivers to compare to Shane's first 7 games with a rookie AR and Minshew.  Then in a later post you said you didn't think it was a good comparison to include Reich's time with Carolina because his QB seems in over his head. All of that together created a bubble of absurdity.

that's it.  End of story.  That was all I wanted to do, and I did.  So now, I'm done here.  Thanks for playing and have a great day.

9 minutes ago, J@son said:

well I guess we're even then.  

Actually I don't really want to discuss this topic, and I don't need to read your other responses...I've already seen them and took no issue really with anything else you posted.  I simply wanted to point out that your comparison was absurd.  You cherry picked the years of Reich that you wanted to use for comparison by excluding Sam, Matt and Jacoby which left only Luck, Wentz and Rivers to compare to Shane's first 7 games with a rookie AR and Minshew.  Then in a later post you said you didn't think it was a good comparison to include Reich's time with Carolina because his QB seems in over his head. All of that together created a bubble of absurdity.

that's it.  End of story.  That was all I wanted to do, and I did.  So now, I'm done here.  Thanks for playing and have a great day.

You too Jason lol. 

Don't really want to discuss the topic lol.  Jeezus.